Hi everyone!

Narinka

Oct 14, 2018
I'm from the UK! It's very likely I will be making my first trip to The Dominican Republic next year. I plan to meet somebody out there, who'll take me around the island. I just wanted to know:

- When's the best time to travel, (weather/special events e.g public holidays) etc?

- Can US dollars be used freely in all shops, or will I need to consider changing money into RD$? (DOP)

- Roughly how much would I need for a 10-day trip (starting in Punta Cana > La Romana > Santo Domingo > Boca Chica > Samaná)

- Better still, are credit cards widely accepted or not?

- Roughly how much is a taxi from Santo Domingo to Samaná?

I know I might sound green but this seems like a good place to ask all the mundane questions :laugh:

Thank you all in advance!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Using credit cards here costs you around 3-4% more than the sticker price or paying with cash can usually trigger a discount if your request one. 5% - 10%

Paying in Pesos removes the temptation for a merchant to short change you on the conversion rate. Probably best to change your dollars to pesos in here in the DR but not at the airport.

You'd probably appreciate the break from a UK winter so Dec - Mar, the weather is generally good, temps warm but not scorchingly hot. That's also prime tourist season so lots of people and perhaps a more expensive flight, accommodations. Aug - Nov can be quite hot temperature wise and also hurricane season if that is a concern to you. May - Jul can be less expensive and less hectic and the weather is reasonable.

You can negotiate taxi rates or use services like Uber. Private shuttles and tourist taxis will cost the equivalent of $175-$200+ USD. Motor Coach buses are much more economical if not down right cheap.

How much $$$ you bring depends on your preferences with everything from transportation, accommodations, class of restaurants, how much partying you plan to do and where you plan to do it etc. Many recommend loading up a prepaid debit card or something similar and using that to withdraw money from ATMs. Make sure the card can be used here. Having lots of cash on hand invites the opportunity to lose some or all of it.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Avoid Easter as place goes crazy and drivers are drunk. Amex not widely accepted and if you do use foreign credit card check activity on your card daily as there is a lot of fraud.

Matilda

Narinka

Oct 14, 2018
Thank you for replying :) There is Uber available in DR?? That's good to know :squareeye

I read that public transport can be dangerous but I'm not sure if that's during certain times of day/depending what I use etc.

I am hoping, quite honestly, to wing it with the accommodation. Not looking to stay at resorts or fancy 5* beach clubs, going for very cultural and grass-roots hospitality :D

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Public transport is not dangerous esp the intercity buses. There is a great cheap hostel in Santo Domingo and in Las Terrenas. Suggest you google. Lots of sites have loads of information about the DR.

Matilda

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Thank you for replying :) There is Uber available in DR?? That's good to know :squareeye

I read that public transport can be dangerous but I'm not sure if that's during certain times of day/depending what I use etc.

I am hoping, quite honestly, to wing it with the accommodation. Not looking to stay at resorts or fancy 5* beach clubs, going for very cultural and grass-roots hospitality :D
Be sure that your CC is ready for use outside the EU.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Narinka, welcome. all good advice above and the taxi rate is accurate. But I really want to know...is "the somebody out there" named fausto? Have fun. Just get cash from a machine. that you can do at the airport.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Narinka, welcome. all good advice above and the taxi rate is accurate. But I really want to know...is "the somebody out there" named fausto? Have fun. Just get cash from a machine. that you can do at the airport.

If you use Uber before check the rate advise, usually in rush hours the price could be doubled.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Narinka, There is a wealth of information on the board about coming to visit the island.

I sincerely hope you don't limit yourself to this thread only.

There are many things you should be aware of before you come.

The more you know, the more you'll enjoy your visit.

While I'm here..... AE, did you see my comment on FB about the Dominican man threatening to kill his expat wife after he beat her up because she told him she was leaving him?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Narinka, There is a wealth of information on the board about coming to visit the island.

I sincerely hope you don't limit yourself to this thread only.

There are many things you should be aware of before you come.

The more you know, the more you'll enjoy your visit.

While I'm here..... AE, did you see my comment on FB about the Dominican man threatening to kill his expat wife after he beat her up because she told him she was leaving him?

I did see it, thanks. I wondered if she was a poster here. Thank God she’s alive

Narinka

Oct 14, 2018
Thanks, I am trying to navigate DR1 Forums as best as I can. Loving the early 00's setup ;)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I did see it, thanks. I wondered if she was a poster here. Thank God she’s alive

And it turns out today those videos are several years old. The woman has since moved on and is married to another man.

Once again Fabio and Detras del Rumor posts things without any kind of investigation to determine the validity.

I got it from him, so I apologize for posting it