Money Orders in DR?

lostcanuck

May 9, 2002
Hello

I would like to know how and where I can obtain money orders in the DR. I want to bring cash somewhere and get a money order in pesos. I do not have a bank account at any bank. Can anyone supply this info?

Thanks very much

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have not checked this with any banks but I would have thought that if you go into ANY Bank with CASH (US $ or Sterling or RD $) you could ask the bank to issue you with a Bankers Draft!!?? They will most likely make a charge for this, but it SHOULD be relatively easy to do!!
Where are you going to? North or South of the Island? If it is north & if you have any problems, get in touch & I will have a word with my bank on your behalf. I have introduced quite a bit of business their way so I have a few credit points that I can call on if necessary!! Regards - Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No money orders that I know of, follow BushBaby's advice

Not much more to add.
A Bank Certified check is the same as money.
I don't think you even need tohave an account.??

We need more info..
needs_a_shave.gif

HB

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Money orders

Until recently, Banco Popular wouldn't issue you a US money order unless you had a US bank account with them... you would have to deposit the US cash in the account and then withdraw it from there in the form of an M/O if that is what you needed. If you went in with pesos the only form of US they sold you was travelers' checks. Whether any of that has changed I don't know.

On the other hand you can bring in pesos and request a money order (bank draft) in pesos even if you don't have an account. No problem (At least up until about 2 years ago). Obviously such M/O is NOT negotiable outside of DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let me see if I got this right

You want to bring in dollars, convert them to pesos and make a bank draft to some one?

Go to Banco Santa Cruz, to the money exchange department.

Tell them you want to exchange some dollars, and that you need a check in pesos. It should not be a problem with these guys.

HB
bandit.gif