Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: They know what you're downloading!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default They know what you're downloading!

I thought I'd share this as a warning to those who like to download movies and tv shows from alternative sources.

I fancied doing a marathon session of Game of Thrones and decided to search for a torrent link to download it from. I left my computer to download the whole lot from series one to seven and went off to work. About an hour later I received this email:

Dear MTI Technology Corporation,

This message is sent on behalf of HOME BOX OFFICE, INC. ("HBO").

We have information leading us to believe that the IP address 144.86.xxx.xxx was used to download or share Game of Thrones without authorization (additional details are listed below). HBO owns the copyright or exclusive rights to Game of Thrones, and the unauthorized download or distribution constitutes copyright infringement. Downloading unauthorized or unknown content is also a security risk for computers, devices, and networks.

As the owner of the IP address, HBO requests that MTI Technology Corporation immediately contact the subscriber who was assigned the IP address at the date and time below with the details of this notice, and take the proper steps to prevent further downloading or sharing of unauthorized content and additional infringement notices.

We also encourage you to inform the subscriber that HBO programming can easily be watched and streamed on many devices legally by adding HBO to the subscriber’s television package.

We have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted material detailed below is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. The information in this notice is accurate and we state, under penalty of perjury, that we are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed. This letter is not a complete statement of HBO's rights in connection with this matter, and nothing contained herein constitutes an express or implied wavier of any rights or remedies of HBO in connection with this matter, all of which are expressly reserved.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Your prompt response is requested. Any further enquiries can be directed to [email protected]. Please include this message with your enquiry to ensure a quick response.

Respectfully,

Brad Bo
    On behalf of Home Box Office, Inc.
    2880 Lakeside Drive, Suite 360
    Santa Clara, CA 95054
    E-mail: [email protected]
    The email was sent to Delancer, who forwarded it to me. I subscribe to Delancer's fiberoptic service with a dedicated US IP address. It never occurred to me that they could find me here.

2. Likes cavok liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Expect the summons, that's next.

4. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Torrents are inherently unsecure. Think back to the Napster days.

"They" acted because you are using a US IP address and anyone can see what you are downloading. Had you been using a DR address they may not have bothered as they won't prosecute here and they have little chance of having a foreign ISP divulge subscriber info or terminate the service.

You should not be using torrents without masking your IP. You probably shouldn't be using torrents at all. Consider getting a Usenet account and subscribing to a NZB site for your content to download. Back before the fiber upgrade, the US IP was a common IP used by everyone, much like a party telephone line from days gone by. Now, it's an individual IP assigned specifically to you which makes you identifiable.

Tough break, but these days, with all the snooping going on, you really have to be careful and understand what you are doing and the implications of doing something a particular way.

Hope you got the whole series. :-)

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you wanna watch movies use the following links:

https://solarmoviez.ru/

https://www.cuevana2.com/

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Always use a VPN and be safe.

8. Likes JDJones, Uzin, jstarebel, j&t's future liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

And in the DR, they can do exactly what about this?

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

In beeza's case, he's using a US based IP supplied by a US company, that can be petitioned for subscriber info and potentially held accountable for the unlawful actions of their users. The fact that beeza is in the DR adds a wrinkle in that he may be personally untouchable due to the difficulty and expense of a copyright action here, but the US company can be forced to terminate his service and thus he would loose his Delancer US IP address. I don't know if Delancer would be in a position to offer him another one.

11. Likes chico bill liked this post
    No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    I thought I'd share this as a warning to those who like to download movies and tv shows from alternative sources.

I fancied doing a marathon session of Game of Thrones and decided to search for a torrent link to download it from. I left my computer to download the whole lot from series one to seven and went off to work. About an hour later I received this email:

The email was sent to Delancer, who forwarded it to me. I subscribe to Delancer's fiberoptic service with a dedicated US IP address. It never occurred to me that they could find me here.
    Get a VPN ( I use Express VPN - it's simple & great but there are others) They mask your IP and while not fool proof you can watch Netflix and Amazon Prime Videos etc (Amazon is really smart however).

Hint: choose the settings option "TCP - Open VPN" for best compatibility

Also there are US Websites like some banks, T-Mobile, etc that you can not access from DR without a VPN

13. Likes SKY, Uzin liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    And in the DR, they can do exactly what about this?
    Nothing. If they went after everyone in the DR that downloads torrents they would have to build a wall around the whole DR. Using a US IP is not good for this though. Just use a VPN from another Country. But I would not worry about this. If Delancer chases you not a big deal.

15. Likes Uzin, Juan Bosch, Harleysrock liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, VPN is what you need, I also think there is not much they can do about this as you are here. You get some emails, but I doubt they can force or ask Delancer to stop your service (maximum they can do), there are millions doing the same from DR and, well, so many other countries....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast