If you had to choose to move to the DR again but at this point in time, would you?

flows

Oct 17, 2018
Hello! I lived in SD for a couple of years, but am now living back in the US full time. When I lived there, things were relatively calm, not as much crime as there seems to be now. I was just wondering, with the rise of crimes and delinquency, if you had to move to the DR in 2018, would you?

I'm interested in the capital , but would also like to hear from those who live in other parts of the country to compare. I'm just trying to focus on the reality of it all, not just what I keep seeing on social media with all the robberies and lack of safety everywhere.

Thanks beforehand!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Have been all over the DR for close to 17 years. Clear choice for least crime by far. Punta Cana.

And I will give you why. There are over 150 Hotels here. Almost all AI's. So anyone that wants a job can get one. So much less need for crime.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Been living in Sosua for 9 years and I don't find that crime has increased. In fact it may have decreased. Less kids on the streets. I don't think there has been a gringo murdered here in quite a while....perhaps 3 years or so.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I lived on the south coast, Juan Dolio for 10 years and now live in the northwest mountains near Moncion. Here there is zero crime and it is cooler, but no restaurants, limited transport, no international supermarkets. If I had to move again it would be Las Terrenas.

Matilda

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Moncion is really a great place to live. I was there with some locals quite a few years ago and we went to what I think was a reservoir to fish. They said it was not legal but they fish there all the time. You only need to throw the line out to catch a fish. We threw them all back. It is great weather there, as it is always cool on the mountain. As I recall there was one restaurant that I ate at. Was OK, but not gourmet.

I doubt there is any crime there at all. And there were some nice homes there.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Been living in Sosua for 9 years and I don't find that crime has increased. In fact it may have decreased. Less kids on the streets. I don't think there has been a gringo murdered here in quite a while....perhaps 3 years or so.
Agreed,I have been here for five years and find it quite safe,the only people that find trouble here are the drunks and drug addicts.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I lived in SD, La Vega, and then sometimes in RSJ. If I ever Would move back to RD (I don't think so since we love Tenerife) it would be Constanza.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Having just gotten back from a visit back home in Vancouver, I CHOOSE HERE!

I recently visited my son in Marpole (Vancouver) and it is a really nice area, and safe as well. I then visited my neice in Surrey and quickly decided that you couldnt pay me enough money to live in thay ****hole. I love the Dominican Republic , warts and all. To me news of crimes makes it appear that there is more crime, so is there more reporting and more cellphone reporting going on? We still go for a walk at 6 am, armed only with a stick for dogs.

Last edited:

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
We have our property in DR arranged and moving from the US in a couple years max. We get that query all the time...what about crime, isn't it really bad? Among the other stupid questions. US citizens are remarkably ignorant of other parts of the world. Anyway, my response is it really depends specifically where you live, and other factors. I certainly wouldn't live in some parts of Chicago, or East Cleveland, and many others. Same goes for any other part of the world. Oh, and don't rely on internet news stories as a barometer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Like most places in the world,
the larger the population , the higher the crime

Much of the so called crime that is bantered about is petty tourist type crime..
not murder (IMO)

Overall, I don't find the DR daunting

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Hello! I lived in SD for a couple of years, but am now living back in the US full time. When I lived there, things were relatively calm, not as much crime as there seems to be now. I was just wondering, with the rise of crimes and delinquency, if you had to move to the DR in 2018, would you?

I'm interested in the capital , but would also like to hear from those who live in other parts of the country to compare. I'm just trying to focus on the reality of it all, not just what I keep seeing on social media with all the robberies and lack of safety everywhere.

Thanks beforehand!

Quick answer-Definitely not.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
When I tell my friends in England about my life here in the DR, most are envious, but couldn't consider moving here because of family ties. I consider myself lucky to be living here.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I recently visited my son in Marpole (Vancouver) and it is a really nice area, and safe as well. I then visited my neice in Surrey and quickly decided that you couldnt pay me enough money to live in thay ****hole. I love the Dominican Republic , warts and all. To me news of crimes makes it appear that there is more crime, so is there more reporting and more cellphone reporting going on? We still go for a walk at 6 am, armed only with a stick for dogs.

Nobody in the right mind would wander around Surrey...it is a far cry from West Van. I would feel more comfortable walking around EL Batey Sosua or El Conde area of Santo Domingo at midnight than walk around Surrey at midday!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Nobody in the right mind would wander around Surrey...it is a far cry from West Van. I would feel more comfortable walking around EL Batey Sosua or El Conde area of Santo Domingo at midnight than walk around Surrey at midday!!

South Surrey/Whiterock are fine but Central Surrey I agree. My neice and her husband are trying to sell their condo but no luck yet. Even in little Jarabacoa there are two or three areas that are unsafe at night, during the day no problem.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I can't imagine living in the states after living here, so I guess that's a yes, I would move here again.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
After 12 years here, yes without a doubt. I have been considering living a few months a year in Colombia but I still enjoy living here and really like Santiago.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I lived in SD for a year when I was single. I wouldn’t go back there now unless my income doubled, because I would want to provide opportunities for my children and travel. If money were no option, I’d definitely try Cabarete, the Samana peninsula or Las Terranas. I still think about what it would be like to raise my kids there, but for now I’m staying put in Canada because the DR id far from cheap.