Monte Cristi - Living there. Any advice?

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I noticed there is not even a forum for North East. I have been to Monte Cristi several times and really like it. So quiet and some very nice beaches. I am thinking of running away from the high season here on the North Coast and move there for 6 months. Any advice?

Safety is a priority. Where to live and not to live?
Internet connection is very important. I noticed that up at El Morro the phone/Internet signal is very weak.

Anyone has any input on where to stay? Needs to be safe, 24/7 power and reliable Internet connection. Furnished or semi-furnished.

Any input is appreciated.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I noticed there is not even a forum for North East. I have been to Monte Cristi several times and really like it. So quiet and some very nice beaches. I am thinking of running away from the high season here on the North Coast and move there for 6 months. Any advice?

Safety is a priority. Where to live and not to live?
Internet connection is very important. I noticed that up at El Morro the phone/Internet signal is very weak.

Anyone has any input on where to stay? Needs to be safe, 24/7 power and reliable Internet connection. Furnished or semi-furnished.

Any input is appreciated.

You mean northwest :)

Not many foreigners live in Montecristi, and it’s not a tourist mecca, thus the lack of an individual forum. We’ve been there (my husband’s paternal ancestry began, way back when, in Guayubin, before his g-grandfather moved to Santiago in mid 1800s), and there’s not much to do. May I ask what makes you want to live there?

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
You mean northwest :)

Not many foreigners live in Montecristi, and it’s not a tourist mecca, thus the lack of an individual forum. We’ve been there (my husband’s paternal ancestry began, way back when, in Guayubin, before his g-grandfather moved to Santiago in mid 1800s), and there’s not much to do. May I ask what makes you want to live there?

You are right NorthWest... My girlfriend is from there and of course she has info. That said, what´s safe for her might not be safe for us. That´s why I would like some "gringo" info. Why MC? I love to Kitesurf and the wind is always there in the afternoon. Lived on the North Coast for soon 20 years, and yes tired of the high season. Thought of renting my place out over the high season to get away.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Benn there and it kind of reminds me of West Texas, only without oil jobs. Hot dusty and why did I go ?
But some people probably like the nothing to do situation.
As a foreigner you would stand out. (not a good thing)

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Benn there and it kind of reminds me of West Texas, only without oil jobs. Hot dusty and why did I go ?
But some people probably like the nothing to do situation.
As a foreigner you would stand out. (not a good thing)

I have been there like 10 times now the last year for kiting...and not really hot (the breeze) nor dusty. Winter time should be even better. I actually freeze here sometimes. :) Then the motor bikes actually drives normal speed, not like here on the North Coast.

When where you there last time?

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have been there like 10 times now the last year for kiting...and not really hot (the breeze) nor dusty. Then the motor bikes actually drives normal speed, not like here on the North Coast.

When where you there last time?

6 years ago, no plan to return. I did not kite-board, so maybe there's your reason

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
6 years ago, no plan to return. I did not kite-board, so maybe there's your reason

That explains things... I think it has changed for the better. It has been "clean" and nice when I have been there. Actually way cleaner then here and yes the people they are different. I have lived here a long time and yeah getting tired of the North Coast. The hazzle and the motos...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That area of the country offers nothing of interest to me personally. While I appreciate a degree of solitude and perhaps even a bit of isolation, I still prefer to have access to decent grocery stores and somewhat familiar products and services. I cannot ever see myself relying primarily on colmados. I have no real reason to be that close to Haiti and I suspect the reliability of the infrastructure would be even more hit & miss than it is where I am.

I do not wish to travel any significant distance to satisfy my needs nor do I wish to buy a truckload of things just so I don't have to travel again for a month to resupply.

For me, the practicality of day to day living is more important than the vistas and the beaches above all else.

Others I'm sure feel differently. As it's only for six months maybe you can make it work. As for security, that is whatever you make it out to be. You're on your own, and the decisions you make regarding where you live, who is around you, who is passing through on a regular basis and the degree of support you can expect from the police, fire services, medical assistance and government agencies is what it is. You should be prepared to provide for your own security and have the means to act if the need arises.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
That area of the country offers nothing of interest to me personally. While I appreciate a degree of solitude and perhaps even a bit of isolation, I still prefer to have access to decent grocery stores and somewhat familiar products and services. I cannot ever see myself relying primarily on colmados. I have no real reason to be that close to Haiti and I suspect the reliability of the infrastructure would be even more hit & miss than it is where I am.

I do not wish to travel any significant distance to satisfy my needs nor do I wish to buy a truckload of things just so I don't have to travel again for a month to resupply.

For me, the practicality of day to day living is more important than the vistas and the beaches above all else.

Others I'm sure feel differently. As it's only for six months maybe you can make it work. As for security, that is whatever you make it out to be. You're on your own, and the decisions you make regarding where you live, who is around you, who is passing through on a regular basis and the degree of support you can expect from the police, fire services, medical assistance and government agencies is what it is. You should be prepared to provide for your own security and have the means to act if the need arises.

I hear you and thanks for the input. And yes, 18 years and counting, I am well aware of the risks, hence that´s why I posted. I am not sure. When it comes to grocery stores they actually have two decent ones now. Well at least to me. Of course not much imported stuff like in Playero or La Sirena, but I am not into that anyway so... And yes, I live here because of the climate and nature. And Monte Cristi with beaches and El Morro. As I said, I really liked it. Not eating. That said, they have some nice beach front restaurants and the Malecon is kind of cool, though small. Also, the highway to Monte Cristi is really good now also so....Anyway, would love to hear some input from somebody that lives/lived there.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For you HDR, that area may well be Shangra-la. Since it's temporary living, you aren't sinking a pile of money into real estate, you can always bail if it doesn't mesh well with your expectations and needs. If you can assure yourself that you have a reasonable chance of surviving the experience, you may just have to give it a try and let us know how you fared after your first six months.

That could be a interesting foreigner coping in the remoter parts of the DR story.

Bonne chance.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
For you HDR, that area may well be Shangra-la. Since it's temporary living, you aren't sinking a pile of money into real estate, you can always bail if it doesn't mesh well with your expectations and needs. If you can assure yourself that you have a reasonable chance of surviving the experience, you may just have to give it a try and let us know how you fared after your first six months.

That could be a interesting foreigner coping in the remoter parts of the DR story.

Bonne chance.

Thank you :) And yeah I lived here most of my adult life so I know I can adopt. But yes, still I know gringos are targets in remote places. So... We will see. Thanks for input and good wishes!