Are you flying from the DR to the USA to vote prior or on NOV 6?

Sep 4, 2012
Are you flying from the DR to the USA to vote NOV 6?

Elections are a big deal, I just did.

This OP is about Americans living in the DR and their willingness to leave the DR to vote in the USA. It makes it DR related and not political.

Thank you!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I voted by Fax. I was going to FedEx my ballot---at US$65---but my county in FL makes fax available for international and military voters.

They send the ballot by email with a unique QR code to designate one specific registered voter. You fill out the infom form, mark the ballot and fax it to a special fax #.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wasn’t aware Americans could fax in their vote from overseas. Is there such a thing as getting an absentee ballot sent to DR?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I wasn’t aware Americans could fax in their vote from overseas. Is there such a thing as getting an absentee ballot sent to DR?
I am registered in FL and I got one emailed to me. The ballot and instructions were specifically for international voters and the military.

The instructions were clear: You cannot vote by email, only mail or FAX. And when my county emailed a ballot, it had a special QR code identifying the ballot as mine. I assume the signature on my ballot would be matched with the signature on my voter registration, and the QR code would prevent multiple votes from the same ballot.

Sep 4, 2012
I voted by Fax. I was going to FedEx my ballot---at US$65---but my county in FL makes fax available for international and military voters.

They send the ballot by email with a unique QR code to designate one specific registered voter. You fill out the infom form, mark the ballot and fax it to a special fax #.

Is there a link somewhere that would pinpoint by states which ones allow this or any other means to vote while overseas, besides military or diplomatic exception?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not an issue to me. I am probably not registered to vote in the US and I won't vote. I rarely voted when I did live there since my vote never made a difference. If I do try to vote, I might run into a problem with California trying to tax me for "living" there. And, there is little chance that any vote I ever make in California would make the slightest difference in the outcome of any and all elections.

I just sit back and watch since it is simply not worth the effort nor the potential risk.

If you don't agree with the above in my case, please explain to me how my vote for the Libertarian candidate would matter in the outcome of any election in California or for the POTUS?

I just checked on eligibility to register and California requires you to be a resident of the state to register. No surprise there. I have not been a resident for 15 years.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/frequently-asked-questions/

But then Google showed me this:

Can US expats vote?
Federal law provides American expatriates with the means for participating in their country's political processes. It requires states to permit U.S. citizens abroad to register and vote in presidential and congressional elections. Many states also permit absentee voting in state and local elections.

Still not worth the effort to me because of California's potential tax issues in California and the lack of effect when voting Libertarian.

Last edited:

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Not an issue to me. I am probably not registered to vote in the US and I won't vote. I rarely voted when I did live there since my vote never made a difference. If I do try to vote, I might run into a problem with California trying to tax me for "living" there. And, there is little chance that any vote I ever make in California would make the slightest difference in the outcome of any and all elections.

I just sit back and watch since it is simply not worth the effort nor the potential risk.

If you don't agree with the above in my case, please explain to me how my vote for the Libertarian candidate would matter in the outcome of any election in California or for the POTUS?

I just checked on eligibility to register and California requires you to be a resident of the state to register. No surprise there. I have not been a resident for 15 years.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/frequently-asked-questions/

But then Google showed me this:

Can US expats vote?
Federal law provides American expatriates with the means for participating in their country's political processes. It requires states to permit U.S. citizens abroad to register and vote in presidential and congressional elections. Many states also permit absentee voting in state and local elections.

Still not worth the effort to me because of California's potential tax issues in California and the lack of effect when voting Libertarian.

I have always voted till I moved here and then i didn't want to confuse Virginia with thinking I might be a resident. Technically, yes, since that's the last place I lived I can still vote there but I had to take some 401 k money out and I would have had to pay Virginia taxes on it. Maybe not, but it wasn't worth the risk. Now I probably could since I only have Social Security income but it is a lot of trouble. Just mailing what they wanted after I did the stuff online was a huge hassle. Too bad. I am a solid Democrat so maybe I could have helped Hillary but quite frankly, it isn't any skin on my back whatever party is in power. None of the candidates are perfect and they all lie and cheat and I got burned out when John Edwards screwed up .. literally. So despite wishing the Democrats could prevail, I'm not going to bother. I certainly wouldn't fly back to vote. I won't even bother to mail a letter~ :)

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Yes, you can have an absentee ballot sent. However, it may be better to have the ballot sent to a relative using U.S. mail, then expressed to you in the DR.