The seriousness of the D'Alessandro vs. Jodesur

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mr. D'Alessandro received a bill from Jodesur for almost 5 times his normal electrical consumption (BTW: Jodesur is a Dominicanism that combines that classic anglo-saxon word with the last part of the commercial name of the local electric company, Edesur) See? No vulgarity, yet!

When Mr. D'A. went to complain, it was pay up or else. He refused and his electricity was cut off. Since January, they have used a medium sized generator and an inverter for their needs.

Yet they keep getting these astronomical electrical bills!
Nearly US$10,000 is in play here. Mr D'A. has sued the Jodesur for RD$5 mill. Jodesur has said: "We are going to send your credit reports to all the agencies in the US and to the Consulate so that you are refused a visa." Blackmail, pure and simple.

I can think of three possibilities:
1) Mr. d'A's electricity is being hijacked by a neighbor.
2) There is a short circuit somewhere
3)Jodesur are outright thieves and should be drummed out of the country.

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

Mar 21, 2002
Can anyone in detail

Explain how our wonderful electrical system functions? I read the article that Rob has but it's quite general.

Who actually controls the power between public and private co's?

Also how does this function? I don't need to know how power is generated,distributed and transmitted. The science behind that I fully understand. What I want to know is the political crap behind it, which companies are public, private?
What is this thing about Manning and the CDE always having payments in arrears? Companies turning off turbines due to lack of payment? Constantly damaged grids? Prolonged and continous blackouts?

I have asked so many people in the DR about these prolonged and continous blackouts? Everyone gives a different answer?

From scamming power to light up the national games, diverting power for the corrupt to broken unfixable equipment? No one really knows WHY?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Edenorte

sometimes what happens is this: Edensur or edenorte don't come to read your meter for months and years but send you a bill of estimate. The estimate comes from what you had told them of what you have in your house ex: 5 bulbs, 3 fans, small fridge and a small TV. They estimate a sum from the mentioned appliances that you have in your house and send you a bill on monthly bases. Then comes the day, they actually come to your house to read the meter. Then they add up all the months and deduct the money that you have already paid and the current month plus the rest of the money you owed for months or years and thus, comes a huge bill.
This has happened to many people including myself. luckely it was not into thousands of dollars like this poor soul.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Very interesting.......

I'm still waiting to see what happens with mine.......
We took the meter into our house last year when we left!! No meter-no consumption......yet we still receive bills that are higher than we are actually in residence. Happens every year....for example my bill for March was RD$325 however my bill for April is $RD650......HELLO!!!! I'm in Canada,,,,ain't nobody home in Juan Dolio....
Sheesh....we spend three months ever year getting our bill reduced to double what we would have paid if we'd actually been there!!!
@#!$!$%^&^&#!@????

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
It confuses me too....

The system just doesn't make any sense. About a month ago, a friend of mine in the D.R. told me that they overcharged him a lot for his electricity. Especially since the power is never on in this area, and they have hardly any appliances. Of course, he couldn't afford it, so they were trying to send him to jail! It's absurd! He didn't even use all of that energy! I'm not sure what happened with his case, but he's not in jail right now, so I think it got sorted out. Hopefully.....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MommC: Another perfect case for a suit. O&C it is tough

MommC you really have to get a Dominican lawyer to go to bat for you beginning now! Demand that inspectors come to your house and see that there is no one there, that all the appliances have been unpluges and that there in only maybe one bulb on...whatever.

Otherwise they will cut off the power and when you return-hopefuly soon- you have another battle on your hands..

O&C. I really wish I could get 5 cents and word and publish a treatise on this. Ever since the "privatization" of the CDE the scandals have rolled in like the tide, never-ending, never ceasing.

Theoretically, there is a Superintendency of Electricity that is supposed to do what its name suggests, but it still hasn't broken any balls yet, and until it does and there are a few Spaniards in jail, the abuses won't stop. There was a a story in the paper today about the fraudes the Spanish energy companies are commiting in SPAIN, for God's sake!!Huge scandal.

Until there is some violence, I really don't think that anything will be done. Burn a few trucks, break a few hundred meters, stuff like that. I am not kidding, these are people with the age old mentality : We are in the land of the Indios so we can do whatever we please, since they are all just "little people" anyway.

Hb, all riled up
needs_a_shave.gif