Buying property in DR

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
Hello,
I’m new to posting on the forum although I’ve been following for a few months now. I’m looking to buy an apartment soon and looking for advice. Not on buying, but on wire transfers. Does anyone use a service they would recommend? My online bank doesn’t have very good reviews so I thoughtI’d ask around. Also the info I have for the seller doesn’t seem to be the info TrnasferWise is asking for. Thoughts? TIA.
NelleG

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
for big amounts - like buying the apartment - send it to the lawyer

For day to day banking....you'll get plenty of advice here

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
When I brought my property I did it with a bank check. See if the bank check is addressed to a person or company. It is ok to transport thru the airport. If it is a blank bank check or cash then the rules apply about transporting. There is another idea give them a personal check and have them wait till it clears. They might accept that but I doubt it. You could try a company like Western Union to transfer money into an account.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You must declare any instrument (cash or equivalent) above $10,000 on entry

It's legal but must be declared... and that raises security questions for many people .

Just wire it...to the lawyer

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I would open a USD account at a Dominican bank and wire the money there. You will need a copy of a purchase agreement, your passport and a bunch of other stuff but you get to control the money till you take possession.
I would not use a lawyer here unless you go with one that has been around a long time and you have met them.
And never ever think of wiring it to a realtor here.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
A GOOD lawyer such as Guzman Ariza that will work with the real estate agent/seller and have own accts. in the U.S. and in the Dominican Republic that can handle the transfer of funds without you having to open all sorts of back accts.

Done it several times and even have US $ parked in there accts.

Look at … GOOD and then add trusted.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
A GOOD lawyer such as Guzman Ariza that will work with the real estate agent/seller and have own accts. in the U.S. and in the Dominican Republic that can handle the transfer of funds without you having to open all sorts of back accts.

Done it several times and even have US $ parked in there accts.

Look at … GOOD and then add trusted.

Also, this firm's lawyers speak English and will walk you through and explain all necessary steps.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I would not buy a dog house now.... I live in a very nice complex out east 80% most of the folks cant pay their rents ... from what i have been hearing if you were paying 1500 going rate now is 750 .... most of the folks are not paying anything where they currently live... not a good time to have rentals

El Calvito

May 9, 2020
Singapour
Hello,
I’m new to posting on the forum although I’ve been following for a few months now. I’m looking to buy an apartment soon and looking for advice. Not on buying, but on wire transfers. Does anyone use a service they would recommend? My online bank doesn’t have very good reviews so I thoughtI’d ask around. Also the info I have for the seller doesn’t seem to be the info TrnasferWise is asking for. Thoughts? TIA.
NelleG
My suggestion is to do business with reputable lawyer firm. Guzzman Ariza is highly rated, see this link https://drlawyer.com/

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
fe905329-9b5c-43cc-bc11-4912c8e580f7.png

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Nice thread hijack. Your post has nothing to do with buying property in the DR or how to wire funds for a purchase. You have posted it without any context and is meaningless to this thread.

This content was completely covered in another thread and thoroughly explained there. It is a completely different topic.

What is your malfunction, sir?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Nice thread hijack. Your post has nothing to do with buying property in the DR or how to wire funds for a purchase. You have posted it without any context and is meaningless to this thread.

This content was completely covered in another thread and thoroughly explained there. It is a completely different topic.

What is your malfunction, sir?
Perhaps a tad aggressive as the two subjects are definitely connected. For those of us who are interested in the answer to Fulano2's question, perhaps you would be kind enough to direct us to the other thread that you mention. Thanks.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Perhaps a tad aggressive as the two subjects are definitely connected. For those of us who are interested in the answer to Fulano2's question, perhaps you would be kind enough to direct us to the other thread that you mention. Thanks.
Absolutely, connected ,and vital information. Fulano is looking for a definition on who/what is a "taxpayer". I would assume here in the DR that might have multiple meanings: real estate tax only, personal name, LLC, partnership, corporation , joint, spouse only is owner, etc. Good question.