Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying property in DR

Hello,
    I’m new to posting on the forum although I’ve been following for a few months now. I’m looking to buy an apartment soon and looking for advice. Not on buying, but on wire transfers. Does anyone use a service they would recommend? My online bank doesn’t have very good reviews so I thoughtI’d ask around. Also the info I have for the seller doesn’t seem to be the info TrnasferWise is asking for. Thoughts? TIA.
    NelleG

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

for big amounts - like buying the apartment - send it to the lawyer

For day to day banking....you'll get plenty of advice here

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

When I brought my property I did it with a bank check. See if the bank check is addressed to a person or company. It is ok to transport thru the airport. If it is a blank bank check or cash then the rules apply about transporting. There is another idea give them a personal check and have them wait till it clears. They might accept that but I doubt it. You could try a company like Western Union to transfer money into an account.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You must declare any instrument (cash or equivalent) above $10,000 on entry

It's legal but must be declared... and that raises security questions for many people .

Just wire it...to the lawyer

5. Likes lifeisgreat liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I would open a USD account at a Dominican bank and wire the money there. You will need a copy of a purchase agreement, your passport and a bunch of other stuff but you get to control the money till you take possession.
    I would not use a lawyer here unless you go with one that has been around a long time and you have met them.
    And never ever think of wiring it to a realtor here.

7. Likes Sosua Sonny liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A GOOD lawyer such as Guzman Ariza that will work with the real estate agent/seller and have own accts. in the U.S. and in the Dominican Republic that can handle the transfer of funds without you having to open all sorts of back accts.

Done it several times and even have US $ parked in there accts.

Look at … GOOD and then add trusted.

9. Likes irishpaddy, DR1Admin, ctrob liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Solar View Post
    A GOOD lawyer such as Guzman Ariza that will work with the real estate agent/seller and have own accts. in the U.S. and in the Dominican Republic that can handle the transfer of funds without you having to open all sorts of back accts.

Done it several times and even have US $ parked in there accts.

Look at … GOOD and then add trusted.
    Also, this firm's lawyers speak English and will walk you through and explain all necessary steps.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my place here I wired the funds to my lawyer, Guzman Ariza. No problem for me. They have an excellent reputation, so I trusted them, but take great care with other lawyers.