Drivers License

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
does anyone know where I can get the drivers license book to review before I apply???? I have cedula and USA license. I understand I will need to go to Nagua??? Thank for any info, any chance it is on line ???????

Jan

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
They hand you the book when you go and hand in your ban reservas impuestas thingy, and take the medical.
You can then decided to come back and sit the test ( theory one ), or take it right away ( in which case you will just have a usless manual lying around the house ).
That was in POP. 4 years ago.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a mobile (a van) that works the area... based in Rio San Juan.
It always is in RSJ at the end of the month.

The test is simple... pictures... you'll pass

as you enter RSJ from Cabrera , watch on your right for the PN station... that's where you go.
It comes to Cabrera at times too..... ask around

In Cabrera - Go to the new laundry at the intersection near Ban Reservas where the new apartment bldgs are....ask Sophia or Delania
use my name

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
does anyone know where I can get the drivers license book to review before I apply???? I have cedula and USA license. I understand I will need to go to Nagua??? Thank for any info, any chance it is on line ???????

Jan

By the way, having a US license does not matter in the process of getting a DR license. Having a cedula is a requirement.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Unless things have changed, you won't get your full license after passing the knowledge test. You'll be issued a learners license and will need to return after a compulsory 4 week "learning period" to do a practical driving test, after paying more fees at the bank of course. :)

Good luck.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Unless things have changed, you won't get your full license after passing the knowledge test. You'll be issued a learners license and will need to return after a compulsory 4 week "learning period" to do a practical driving test, after paying more fees at the bank of course. :)

Good luck.

Can pay online with credit card now, I have to renew mine, need to go first to eyes check.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
https://consultalicencia.intrant.gob.do/Default?id=22

pretty funny ! site is in spanish ok I get that ! they have a manual BUT in order to get the manual you have to put in your license #. pretty typical & funny.

That kind of thing is so normal here.

I recently needed a DR police report to renew my residency and get a new cedula (problems caused by DR Migracion losing my data after being a resident for 15 years and renewing many times along the way. Their incompetence causing the data loss made it impossible for me to renew on time and I am still fighting that battle ) .

The woman in POP who issues the police reports in the court house told me my cedula was expired and I could not get a police report because it was expired. I looked at her, then my wife looked at her. A few seconds later she hit "print" on her keyboard and handed me my police report.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
After living here for ten years, two weeks ago I went to POP to get my licence. Most of the info here is accurate, except I was told that I could pick up the license after 25 days of having the "temp". The test. Bwahahahaaa!!! My Spanish is not good to say the least. MY BAD! There is a "verbal explanation" of the test questions prior to taking the test in a "class setting". All in Spanish. In the back of the group, while the "verbal explanation" was given, two people stood in the back of the class to make sure NO ONE used a cell phone. Just before I entered the testing room alone to take the test, I was instructed to hand over my cell phone. The test of maybe 15 or so questions were answered in either "Si or No". The questions were represented with a graphic cartoon like video of different traffic situations. So......if the particular question looked correct to me, I answered "si". If the video question looked incorrect (like a guy driving without a seat belt) I answered "NO"! Ok.....so.....I failed.....40% correct! Bad Dog! I can take the test again in 10 days from the failure for $400.00 pesos. I have the book, but it also 100% in Spanish. Moral of the story is that if you can speak enough fluent Spanish, it should be pretty easy. That all said, my wife got her divers license about 5 years ago. For a "fee", a Dominican friend took the test and took care of everything! Not the case today at least in POP. You mileage may vary!!

You have to go pay at bank reserves or whatever first then go to the drivers place and ask for the book. They don’t just give them out Willy nilly like back home. My friend went to PP and just wanted to get the book a few months ago as she is not fluent in Spanish and really wanted to study. They couldn’t understand that she didn’t want to do her test that day but she had to pay first at the bank then go back and get her book studied and passed the written and road test. The road test is now within 25 or 30 days I believe it changed from the 45 days you had to wait.

My friend was coached before the computer test thing and the important words to look for she said without that help she may not have passed.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You have to go pay at bank reserves or whatever first then go to the drivers place and ask for the book. They don’t just give them out Willy nilly like back home. My friend went to PP and just wanted to get the book a few months ago as she is not fluent in Spanish and really wanted to study. They couldn’t understand that she didn’t want to do her test that day but she had to pay first at the bank then go back and get her book studied and passed the written and road test. The road test is now within 25 or 30 days I believe it changed from the 45 days you had to wait.

My friend was coached before the computer test thing and the important words to look for she said without that help she may not have passed.

Far easier if you are Canadian and have a Canadian Drivers Licence. Go to the Canadian Embassy have your licence verified and then get the letter translated, pay your taxes, show up with your paperwork, get your picture taken, eyes examined, blood type confirmed and walk out with your Dominican Drivers licence.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
So......if the particular question looked correct to me, I answered "si". If the video question looked incorrect (like a guy driving without a seat belt) I answered "NO"! Ok.....so.....I failed.....40% correct!

What you ran into is that they ask some questions in a tricky manner. Or at least it was the case when I took the test a few years ago.

Such as: The picture shows you doing something correctly. You’d think the answer is “yes”. But the question is “an officer can fine you for this?” and the real answer is “no”.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I didn't think the test was THAT easy - especially if you don't speak and read Spanish. The woman gave me about 6-7 little pierces of paper with a number written on each one. She told me they referred to pages in the book. I had about a half hour to speed read through it before it was time to take the test and it's a thick book - about 150 pages.

Maybe one or two questions had anything to do with those pages! Some of the test questions(on a computer screen) were confusing and you had a limited time to answer each question - so not all day to think about it and figure it out. I did get an 80, but I think only because I can read Spanish.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I didn't think the test was THAT easy - especially if you don't speak and read Spanish. The woman gave me about 6-7 little pierces of paper with a number written on each one. She told me they referred to pages in the book. I had about a half hour to speed read through it before it was time to take the test and it's a thick book - about 150 pages.

Maybe one or two questions had anything to do with those pages! Some of the test questions(on a computer screen) were confusing and you had a limited time to answer each question - so not all day to think about it and figure it out. I did get an 80, but I think only because I can read Spanish.

I received my first one 12 years ago... Had the residency, and paid around 100 USD to a lawyer. I got a small paper entering the test room with the computers. Spoke some Spanish, it was difficult Spanish, but then a girl came every minute or so and pressed the right answer. I think I got an 95. :) No practice test necessary. And yeah renewed it three times since then without problems. Cheers

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Can you take the test in English??? I have herd that there is somewhere in D
SD that offers it in English.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I did the classroom prep session before I sat in front of the computer. I spoke very little Spanish ie I could order beer, a cuba libre, and some chicken if they didn't ask me how I wanted it cooked. No one giving the presentation could speak English... of course.

The computer test was in the format of:

View a short animated clip of cars on the road Then answer a question about what you just saw.

Did the driver in the blue car do the correct thing...
Would the driver of the red card get a ticket for what they did
Is this permitted or is it an infraction

You need to know red, blue, infraction, ticket, permitted, correct, yes, no, true, false and a few other choice Spanish words. If you have any experience at all having driven anywhere that isn't a complete free for all, you already know the correct answer.

You do have a limited time to answer each question. It is important to recognize the framing of the question in how they use the key words. As pointed out earlier, them asking if the driver did the right thing (correcto) or if the driver committed an infracción or would the driver get a ticket requires a different yes/no answer depending on the key words used to frame the question.

I missed only one and had stressed about that test quite a bit before hand. Had I not been steered towards the words to pick up on, the result could have been different - not that the questions were hard or I didn't know the correct answer, I just wouldn't have understood the if it was a yes/no, true/false answer they were looking for.