Las Olas - Juan Dolio

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Hey everyone,
Does anyone know anyone living in Las Olas in Juan Dolio? Just want to find out from someone living there what its like to own and live in the building?
We have almost settled on Las Olas but anyone else have any recommendations? We have checked out quite a few - needs to be beach front
We have a friends apartment we use in Marbella and yes its really nice but the price is a little high. Las seems like a good deal.
Its for my mother that comes over 6 months a year, we live in Santo Domingo so she wants to be close and she loves how quiet Juan Dolio is.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Las Olas suffers from isolation as to get to anything you need to get through a couple of fairly mill of the run developments, not to mention the cementerio next door. The building is quite large for the location- empty during the week. The Cafe del Sol next door is nice for lunch etc... the water is knee deep at best- no swimming there. In terms of ownership there is a huge problem with titles - I would stay away from any ownership.

The old town is in ill repair and is badly in need of a facelift. Its very dark at night- not recommended depending on how elderly and independent she is.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Las Olas suffers from isolation as to get to anything you need to get through a couple of fairly mill of the run developments, not to mention the cementerio next door. The building is quite large for the location- empty during the week. The Cafe del Sol next door is nice for lunch etc... the water is knee deep at best- no swimming there. In terms of ownership there is a huge problem with titles - I would stay away from any ownership.

The old town is in ill repair and is badly in need of a facelift. Its very dark at night- not recommended depending on how elderly and independent she is.

Hey, Thanks for the info! This thread was getting lonely! Can I ask what problem with the titles? In Las Olas specifically or just in Juan Dolio? Im guessing if it has the deslinde and title then its ok?

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Hey, Thanks for the info! This thread was getting lonely! Can I ask what problem with the titles? In Las Olas specifically or just in Juan Dolio? Im guessing if it has the deslinde and title then its ok?

There is an issue with Metro and Portland Private Equity. I understand that the latter (secured lender on the project) has recently foreclosed on units where owners had deposited funds, yet somehow there is a link missing between their payments and release of units which served as collateral for the property development. The financial mess results from a variety of irregularities- many under litigation.

There are other issues... I simply would not be purchasing without making sure that there is no lien/mortgage that would appear on title- and I understand the great majority have that issue. Complicated and better to be very, very diligent.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
There is an issue with Metro and Portland Private Equity. I understand that the latter (secured lender on the project) has recently foreclosed on units where owners had deposited funds, yet somehow there is a link missing between their payments and release of units which served as collateral for the property development.

Thanks for the info - but is that just individual apartments you are talking about - for example if one has a title without lien then in theory it should be fine? Obviously we will get it checked out. Aren't they the same owners of Marbella? I cant see people losing their properties there...

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Thanks for the info - but is that just individual apartments you are talking about - for example if one has a title without lien then in theory it should be fine? Obviously we will get it checked out. Aren't they the same owners of Marbella? I cant see people losing their properties there...

A title without a lien is not a problem. The liens are on numerous units at Las Olas. The need to be very thorough on San Pedro title registration- very important.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Hey everyone,
Does anyone know anyone living in Las Olas in Juan Dolio? Just want to find out from someone living there what its like to own and live in the building?
We have almost settled on Las Olas but anyone else have any recommendations? We have checked out quite a few - needs to be beach front
We have a friends apartment we use in Marbella and yes its really nice but the price is a little high. Las seems like a good deal.
Its for my mother that comes over 6 months a year, we live in Santo Domingo so she wants to be close and she loves how quiet Juan Dolio is.

Thanks in advance
Chris

If you speak Spanish I can put you in contact with a Dominican who bought an apartment in Las Olas.
If interested send me a pm