question about domestic workers law

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Hi,

I am moving soon to another city and firing the person that was working for us.

She worked 3x/week for the past 3 year.

I would like to know what do I owe her for "firing" her?

Thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Domestic workers are not legally entitled to liquidation. This was told to us by a supervisor at the labor department in Santo Domingo. They ARE entitled to prorated vacation and prorated 13th month.

It’s up to you about something more/extra. We did give extra to both our gardener and our maid, even though she quit and wasn’t fired. (It was actually a bluff, but we took her at her word and replaced her. She still tells everyone that the new woman stole her job).

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Excellent, I do want to give her something extra.

If lets say she was entitled to liquidation, how much would that be? Or what is the right formula to calculate it.

She was earning 14k/month and worked for 3 years roughly.

I have never paid her vacation, only the extra sueldo at Christmas.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Excellent, I do want to give her something extra.

If lets say she was entitled to liquidation, how much would that be? Or what is the right formula to calculate it.

She was earning 14k/month and worked for 3 years roughly.

I have never paid her vacation, only the extra sueldo at Christmas.

https://calculo.mt.gob.do/

There you go. Click on that link, fill in her details and then click on print and it will give you the calculation on a nice form that you can give to her. After she leaves you have 10 days to pay the liquidation. If she has any questions, she will take your form to the Ministry of Labor (or to her uncle, as every Dominican I have ever met has an uncle who is a lawyer).

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest that you pay her the holidays she never took over the three years and the double Christmas salary. That would cover your legal requirement. Anything extra would be a charity gesture. Also if you might want to get a lawyer to sign draw up a Finequito document that is a total discharge agreement. That way she cant come back to you after with a claim.