Car Rental No Credit Card

UKNewbie

Oct 25, 2018
Hi Guys

I am coming to DR Punta Cana late December for 3 weeks.

I want to rent a car but have no credit card only a debit card I was wondering if anyone local or in the know knows anywhere in punta cana which accepts debit card bookings?

Thanks Michael

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Enterprise takes debit cards in the US, I would assume they take them in PC. But you need proof of return flight. Budget also takes debit cards.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Whatever you do, do not leave your passport a guarantee!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
To go further, NEVER leave your passport with anyone or any company in the DR. Now in most European countries you DO have to leave your passport when you check into a hotel. But you get it back after they run a check on it. But never do it here.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Hi Guys

I am coming to DR Punta Cana late December for 3 weeks.

I want to rent a car but have no credit card only a debit card I was wondering if anyone local or in the know knows anywhere in punta cana which accepts debit card bookings?

Thanks Michael

Cedeno will take a cash deposit or a hold on a debit card. It's on Av Alemania near Los Corales. They'll probably make you take the insurance though, for an extra $25/day.

Do not go to Melo just down the street. The owner is an honest businessman, but the brother who is usually there is a crook.

UKNewbie

Oct 25, 2018
Thanks for the help do they have a website

Cedeno will take a cash deposit or a hold on a debit card. It's on Av Alemania near Los Corales. They'll probably make you take the insurance though, for an extra $25/day.

Do not go to Melo just down the street. The owner is an honest businessman, but the brother who is usually there is a crook.

thanks for the help do they have a website - i searched online but couldnt find them

UKNewbie

Oct 25, 2018
Thanks for the feedback - on budgets and enterprises websites for their DR Locations it states the following. This seems the norm for all the major rental companies there

A major credit card in the name of the primary driver must be produced at the time of rental. This location accepts American Express, Carte Blanche, Diners Club, Discover, Mastercard and Visa. NOTE: Carte Blanche, Diners Club and Discover are only accepted as final payment. Credit Cards without raised numbers are not accepted in the Dominican Republic without purchasing LDW.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would call Enterprise to see if they do accept Debit cards. I know that Enterprise accepts Debit cards only at airports. They may accept them here. Best to call.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The rental companies are looking to put a hold on a significant amount of available credit as insurance that they can later apply charges up to that amount and have them approved.

If you use a debit card, expect $600-$700 or more to be applied to the card over and above the upfront rental/insurance charges. When you return the car without damage or extra charges, they will cancel the hold. It may take a few days before those funds are again available for you to use.

It goes without saying that if you break a rental car without a credit card to fall back on to pay the deductible, you'll be sorry unless you have a good chunk of change in your account.

Again, never leave your original passport or other original documents like a driver's license in the care and control of anyone. Have a photocopy or two in case it is needed.

Not having a credit card puts you at considerable risk of unforeseen expenses that could be hard to cover in a timely manner when using a foreign bank account. Seriously consider whether you really need to rent a car or if it is something that you want to do for the sake of convenience. Sometimes erring on the side of caution and practicality is a better choice especially if you are far from home with few avenues of recourse.

Driving here in not like at home where you drive on the wrong side of the road. Here, there is no correct side...

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
thanks for the help do they have a website - i searched online but couldnt find them
No, they don't have websites. You'll have to go in or call to reserve. The ones online will require a substantial hold on your debit card. And you may never get all your deposit back.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk