Chili recipes LADIES ONLY

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Anyone know the secret to a good chilli? I use chilli powder and cumin with ratio one of chilli to three of cumin. Someone once told me to add a piece of chocolate!

Matilda

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Good info here from a man! "Coffee is also a good addition. one of the tricks to making good chili is to add the spices in what is called ''dumps''. if you are going to use 3 tsp of chili, for example, then use one, cook the mix for a while, then add another, then cook, then add the last, and cook till done. also, try using more than one type of chili. different types make for a better, deeper blend.

how do i know this, you ask? i used to cook real serious chili many years ago. cookoff standard".

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
My best chili recipe is called Railroad Chili. In the early 1900's cook's on freight trains changed at each major stop so the chili was started in the Northeast of the USA buy one cook and as they traveled south or west each new cook added their own ingredients. In the old days the ground meat was often version or moose meat.

A small batch versions follows:

1 lb of ground beef, browned,
3 slices of bacon fried almost crisp
1 large onion diced
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 cubanelle peppers, diced
1 large can of tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 small can of chilies
1 T chili powder
2 tsp oregano
1 T chopped cilantro
salt, pepper, & hot sauce to taste

Simmer 3 hours or slow in crock pot for 6 hours.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
My best chili recipe is called Railroad Chili. In the early 1900's cook's on freight trains changed at each major stop so the chili was started in the Northeast of the USA buy one cook and as they traveled south or west each new cook added their own ingredients. In the old days the ground meat was often version or moose meat.

A small batch versions follows:

1 lb of ground beef, browned,
3 slices of bacon fried almost crisp
1 large onion diced
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 cubanelle peppers, diced
1 large can of tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 small can of chilies
1 T chili powder
2 tsp oregano
1 T chopped cilantro
salt, pepper, & hot sauce to taste

Simmer 3 hours or slow in crock pot for 6 hours.

Forgot beans are optional I usually use 1/2 lb soaked & drained pinto beans !

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
OK so will add bacon but what is a can of chiilis? I have fresh or powder. Love the idea of being on a train lol.

Matilda

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Coffee and chocolate are the "secrets" I have been told. Adds a depth of flavor. I am one of those "hmm lets try this in there" kind of cooks. I have done chili with "half and half" whether it be half ground beef/half ground pork or half ground beef/half ground turkey. To be honest with left overs I make chili mac (chili w/macaroni) which I really love...Just got to the US today...maybe make some chili, feels like chili weather.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I put carrots chopped fine to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
That is also what the dark chocolate does I am told.
Red wine... 1 glass for me, half glass for the pot

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Keep these hints coming. Don’t laugh, but I’ve never made chili. Not sure I’ve ever even eaten it. But these recipes, and AnnaC, have convinced me I’m missing something.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Hmm. Depends: you know like the different kinds of BBQ. Some people prefer chili with brisket-type chunks; others are devoted to ground (mince, Lindsay) beef. I have also enjoyed vegetarian chili, made with lentils.

For me, chili is one of those dishes where I can't follow a recipe.

I know that my most successful ones include a bunch of beef (stew beef or chopped meat [mince, oy these Brits]) and brown it up with a bunch of onions and some garlic, and then t'row in some cans of diced tomatoes and cook it for a while. Then you toss in a coupla cans beans (red ones, white ones, whatever is on sale) and then cook it some more. I don't really care for peppers, but who am I to judge, so if you like them, saute some and put them in. I finish it in a crock pot.

I am only picky about the seasoning. I toast the spices before I put them in, bc to me otherwise they taste raw. I mix my own:
like coriander, fenugreek, smoked paprika, cumin, a bit of salt. I prefer to use those little tiny dried red peppers. I only add the spices at the end, bc otherwise I think they taste raw. One of the best chilis I ever made was with venison. So there you go: the Meemselle chili recipe.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I used to like making chili (well, anything actually) with ground moose meat because its very lean. I also add a teaspoon of cinnamon.