Dog Shopping

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I recently lost a dog to sudden blindness.... July

So , I've been hunting for a dog... just missed one her from Conchman

Mid-sized is my preference - if you call 60-80 lbs mid - size

I have found a nice pair I will check out next week but in the meantime I came across what appears to be a very good breeder in Sto Dom

American Staffordshire Bulldogs... study them up
Watchdogs, large... good for the right situation.

I backed off because some can be large - and I have one large/large/huge already -- 140 lbs
One giant is enough... I don't even have a beanstalk !!!

I have encouraged the breeder to advertise here --
Any interest before she spends the pesos ??

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
WW - you might want to try some of the Dog welfare charities on the North Coast and get a rescue dog rather than buy one ?

Try AAASosua on Facebook or their web site. You could also call Judy on 809 571 1167. Judy who runs it is out of DR until 5th November but would be happy to talk to you about the dogs she has for adoption.

Olly and the Team

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Also check out the DCDR website, there are a vast array of dogs of every size waiting for adoption

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm all set up.... Tuesday pickup....

I pass the Staffordshire info along in case people have interest...
extremely well bred dogs.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Seems to me there are more than enough dogs to go around without breeders...... just saying.

I would also stay away from any kind of " pure" breed as it seems to me they have more health issues. And its harder than back home to get healthcare for a pet ( unless you live in a big city------ and even then ).
I dont need, or want, a piece of paper telling me what my dog is, lol.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Let alone --- kiss them !!!

Women and dogs.... you need to like the look of them.

Runts need not apply..........

Sorry... pedigree counts

I rescued a beautiful Doberman once -- saved its life
had it not kept killing the neighbor's chickens - I'd still have her

Her whole litter died -- she had days left

Playa Grande beach rescue
She was ditched by her owner == complete with 8 puppies

Aug 21, 2007
I am also looking for a large guard-type dog. Was thinking of Rotties. Don't like German shepherd types. Will consider mixed breeds as long as it is a big dog. Have purchased Dominican dogs and I love the temperment. I believe that late November is when puppies are usually available. If anyone has a pregnant mom dog, let me know.

Lindsey

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Let alone --- kiss them !!!

Women and dogs.... you need to like the look of them.

Runts need not apply..........

Sorry... pedigree counts

I rescued a beautiful Doberman once -- saved its life
had it not kept killing the neighbor's chickens - I'd still have her

Her whole litter died -- she had days left

Playa Grande beach rescue
She was ditched by her owner == complete with 8 puppies

Agreed looks count..... in both cases :)

But i disagree on pedigree....

I dont have the pedigree of my rottweilers...... they still look like rotties, they still have huge heads, they still scare the crap out of every1, they still keep me safe.

I also have a chicken killer or 2 :(....... but neighbour is warned, anything on my land is fair game ;)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.............I also have a chicken killer or 2 :(....... but neighbour is warned, anything on my land is fair game ;)

First off don't know a thing about dogs but when these "chicken killers" take out a chicken what do they do? Do they eat the chicken onsite or bring the chicken to the side door to show I provided protection?

I will say fair game is fair game when they on my property.......

malko

Jan 12, 2013
First off don't know a thing about dogs but when these "chicken killers" take out a chicken what do they do? Do they eat the chicken onsite or bring the chicken to the side door to show I provided protection?

I will say fair game is fair game when they on my property.......

Depends on the dog.
Simba will hide somewhere and chew on the chicken. If he manages to escape my property, he will also kill chickens given the opportunity.
Rex kills it...... just because :( Brings it to his house and stores it with the 12 toys, 9 avocados and the 5 intresting rocks. Whereas outside of our property Rex wont go after chickens- or anything else- unless i tell him to.

So 2 distinct behaviours. The first is hunting, the second is protecting his/our land. At least thats my take.

My own chickens know how to "play dead" and the dogs lose intrest.
If it flutters around making panicky noises, it stands no chance.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, Unless they got a tattoo (old school inside thigh/lip) or a chip the "papers" on any dog are dubious at best. When I started to train dogs here in 1985 one client told me that he had a "long haired Rottie" with "papers". It looked like a Rottweiler colored/ Cocker Spaniel! After reading the dogs so called lineage of all Sch. III but no Fartenhund (tracking) from the NJ Schutzhund Bund I called BS and got him a couple of out sized for show dog purposes from Canada. There are no Police/Military units that I know of in the US who breeds dogs for their work because on perhaps 10% make past the evaluation test. So as my old trainer used to say pretty is as pretty does, The three commandments for dog training are Praise then when they are right, Correct them when they are wrong and Be Consistent.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Chickens
the dog wandered for its chicken ,, no telling whose would be eaten.
She finally wound up in an apartment - problem solved

Pedigree
I have mixes.. but designer mixes sort of - read about Bandogges (Bandog)
Deliberate crossing to enhance results...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Depends on the dog.
Simba will hide somewhere and chew on the chicken. If he manages to escape my property, he will also kill chickens given the opportunity.
Rex kills it...... just because :( Brings it to his house and stores it with the 12 toys, 9 avocados and the 5 intresting rocks. Whereas outside of our property Rex wont go after chickens- or anything else- unless i tell him to.

So 2 distinct behaviours. The first is hunting, the second is protecting his/our land. At least thats my take.

My own chickens know how to "play dead" and the dogs lose intrest.
If it flutters around making panicky noises, it stands no chance.

It’s rough when you have a chicken killer in the campo. We had a male rottie who totally ignored them. His female mate was a whole different story. She went after anything that made it into our property. Mostly chickens, but she just killed them and would let them rot if we didn’t pick them up. One morning at about 7 am we heard squealing right under our bedroom window, I looked at Mr AE and said “uh oh, she’s got a pig”. Neighbor started yelling Mr AEs name about 15 minutes later, saying that our dog came onto his property, killed the pig, then dragged it over to our house. When he heard that we’d witnessed it, his story changed to “well a dog that kills pigs should be killed”. We ended up giving him money, 1000-1200 pesos, don’t remember exactly, to keep peace and keep him from poisoning the dog. There was the understanding that from that day on any pig on our property was fair game. Never happened again.

A few months later, our darling male, who I adored, died a terrible death from poisoning. Our caretaker was with him as he died. We’re sure it was meant for the female.

And the female, a few months later, went after a cow who wandered in through a small broken area of the fence at the very back of our property (fault of our cousin, who has opened the fence for a reason I don’t remember, then never closed it). If you know anything about rotties, you know they were bred to herd cattle, and this girl tried to herd this ornery Dominican cow. She was viciously kicked by the cow several times. Vet came, but she died from internal injuries a few days later.

Got another female rottie. Carbon copy of the other female. Kill and leave chicken rotting in the sun.

Now we have three mutts, and life is quieter.

Back in NJ, we have the daughter of our rotties. She’s a carbon copy of her father, massive and mellow. 120 pounds. She’s 4 now. First two years we lived on a barrier island, only animals roaming around were seagulls, and from the reaction she had when they landed on our deck, we knew she had inherited her mother’s predatory gene. Two years ago, we moved to the mainland, large lot on a lake. Back yard is full of geese, ducks, squirrels, birds of varying sizes, osprey, woodpeckers and turtles. She goes nuts when she sees them. She’s never off leash here. When we’re in DR, she stays back on the barrier island, in a house with a fenced yard. She’s killed chipmunks, squirrels, etc, and she brings them back into the house as a gift for my friend, who is less than appreciative

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My dogs kill any cat that comes on the property (except our own cats)
one night it was a cat and 6 kittens - quite a noise that was....

The neighbor's chickens are allowed some space usually..not always - sometimes