Prison Hospitals ?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good afternoon, I have stayed in for instance HOMS and was told that I had to pay the bill in full before I could leave which I did. I just saw an AP article about how Congo hospitals actually hold you until you pay. Does any one have any first hand experience with some one not paying? What happens if you cannot pay the bill in full?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Good afternoon, I have stayed in for instance HOMS and was told that I had to pay the bill in full before I could leave which I did. I just saw an AP article about how Congo hospitals actually hold you until you pay. Does any one have any first hand experience with some one not paying? What happens if you cannot pay the bill in full?

Most would go as far as calling local authorities to have you detained. Clinics are privately owned and as such if you don't pay for a service, they proceed legally.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Maybe they let you pay with a kidney or such in case...I mean, when you are already around... :bunny:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You won't get in a Private Clinic to begin with unless they have the cash or verified means to pay in the first place.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I have found the hospitals and clinics on the North Coast to be very generous. Maybe they just like me.

Pr6pl.jpg

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I wrote in a thread on this site months ago, I never leave the house without my health insurance card, a list of contacts authorities can call if I am unable to do so myself, and instructions to keep me alive if they want to get paid.

If you can't arrange payment for your treatment because you are unconscious when the ambulance brings you to the best and most expensive hospital available, they'll keep you around to see if someone comes forward with payment for a few hours and if not, it's off to the public system you go. Life saving or limb saving surgery will be put on hold until the financing is in place.

If I thought it would help, I'd tattoo my health insurance number on my forehead - but alas, I'd need to also tattoo a paragraph explaining what the number was for...

In this country, I pay my cable bill after watching a month's worth of TV. I'm under no illusions that in the healthcare system, I must pay before I receive the service.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
they'll keep you around to see if someone comes forward with payment for a few hours and if not, it's off to the public system you go. Life saving or limb saving surgery will be put on hold until the financing is in place.
This is exactly how they operate. I have a very close friend that was robbed and brutally attacked with a machete in Cabarete. He was rushed to CMC and because he did not have his debit card or passport with him they refused to perform surgery,he was taken to the public hospital in Puerto Plata where they butchered him,he now has limited use to his arm and no use of one of his thumbs.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
CMC is run by a foreigner, not a Dominican operation. But I guess they learned the game quickly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Private clinics like Bournigal, HOMS, CMC, etc, etc, etc, essentially anywhere you would be treated as well as can be in the DR are under no obligation to treat people that do not have proof of medical insurance coverage or payment. You won't be "checking out" until they are paid if you are admitted. Yes, all of these clinics, no matter who owns them, have learned that if they don't get paid before you go, they are unlikely to ever be paid.

And you certainly don't want to end up a public hospital.

That is what it is in the DR.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It depends. When I was shot I was first taken to private clinic in San Pedro. They asked about money and Dominican and Haitian friends said no problem she can pay. I had no health insurance card on me. They did the tracheotomy. Then taken by ambulance to the capital Plaza de la Salud where they needed deposit before starting treatment. There is an atm outside the Emergency Room. Husband took out 30k pesos and we were good to go. Before I left hospital, 12 days later, they would not let me go before bill paid. The insurance company had been to see me daily to see what bill was. Insurance company paid the max of RD$450,000 and the other RD$300,000 ish we had to pay. Call to bank to increase limit on credit card from 30k to 300k - no problem. They did it and then and only then would they take the iv out. The normal practice is to leave the IV in until you pay - one assumes Dominicans won't take it out - I would.

Matilda

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Before I left hospital, 12 days later, they would not let me go before bill paid. The insurance company had been to see me daily to see what bill was. Insurance company paid the max of RD$450,000 and the other RD$300,000 ish we had to pay. Call to bank to increase limit on credit card from 30k to 300k - no problem. They did it and then and only then would they take the iv out. The normal practice is to leave the IV in until you pay - one assumes Dominicans won't take it out - I would.

Matilda
When I had my jaw surgery ay Corominas, they would not let me leave the room or take out the IV until all was paid between the insurance company and patient responsibility.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
That's one of the many reasons we left the DR, the complete commercialization of everything basic in life, health-care, education and so on. It is cold as the plastic chairs you have to sit on, and plastic cups where your beer is served in.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's one of the many reasons we left the DR, the complete commercialization of everything basic in life, health-care, education and so on. It is cold as the plastic chairs you have to sit on, and plastic cups where your beer is served in.

Some call it freedom to run a business or "commercialization", some call it a basic lack in what they consider should be "free". Myself, I have always felt that nobody owes me anything that I don't pay for.

Once you are used to getting something for, let's call it "free", like health care or education, you become used to it. It is not free, it is paid for by others. The DR may not work out well for such people. The taxes here are too low and the corruption too high for those "benefits" to be available.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
other than taking the IV out what do they do to physically restrain you from leaving? Any one with first hand knowledge?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
In Bournegal, after you pay, you are given a "release form". You will not be allowed to leave your room until you have it. Security will prevent you from leaving.

I suppose family members could bring you clothes and a disguise of some sort and you could sneak out, but a warrant would be issued for your arrest.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
other than taking the IV out what do they do to physically restrain you from leaving? Any one with first hand knowledge?

In Bournegal, after you pay, you are given a "release form". You will not be allowed to leave your room until you have it. Security will prevent you from leaving.

I suppose family members could bring you clothes and a disguise of some sort and you could sneak out, but a warrant would be issued for your arrest.

Wy would one leave without paying their bill?

Security will indeed keep you from leaving before your bill is paid in full. Been there, done that.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
There is a low value placed on human life in the DR.
My wife's pregnant sister bled to death after the ambulance was delayed by insisting on payment before transport.
Being poor in the DR can be a fatal condition.
Clinics are in the for profit health care business. This a'int Kansas.