Chili Recipe..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
since i almost got zinged for posting in the ladies' chili thread, here is a good recipe which is real easy, but really good.

1.5 lb ground beef.

1 large onion fine dice

1 green pepper, fine dice

1 jalapeno, chopped

1 15 oz can tomatoes

1 8oz can tomato sauce.

2 T cumin

2 T chili powder...2 different types

1 t salt

half teaspoon thyme

half teaspoon blk pepper

half teaspoon oregano

14 oz can red kidney beans

14 oz can blk beans

half teaspoon fine ground coffee

half chicken bouillon cube.

1 cup water

1 cup beer.

sautee onions, green pepper, jalapeno until soft..maybe 5 min.

add beef...brown well

add rest of ingredients to beef mixture.

bring to boil...cook 5 minutes

reduce heat to medium low..simmer 3 hours. add water if necessary. add salt to taste.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Looks great Gorgon and will give it a try - and you didn't get zinged!! Few questions please. What is a can of tomato sauce? Tomato puree? Ketchup? Passata? What is a T? Tablespoon? Assume a t is teaspoon? Is blk black beans or baked beans?

Thanks

Matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Looks great Gorgon and will give it a try - and you didn't get zinged!! Few questions please. What is a can of tomato sauce? Tomato puree? Ketchup? Passata? What is a T? Tablespoon? Assume a t is teaspoon? Is blk black beans or baked beans?

Thanks

Matilda

an upper case, or capital T, is a tablespoon. a small t is a teaspoon.

the tomato sauce is basically a puree. DO NOT use tomato paste. the can says tomato sauce. Hunts makes a great can of sauce. and the beans are black beans, or habichuelas negras..

slow cooking is the trick...it removes the bitterness from the tomatoes and the sauce..

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
an upper case, or capital T, is a tablespoon. a small t is a teaspoon.

the tomato sauce is basically a puree. DO NOT use tomato paste. the can says tomato sauce. Hunts makes a great can of sauce. and the beans are black beans, or habichuelas negras..

slow cooking is the trick...it removes the bitterness from the tomatoes and the sauce..

No Hunts in the campo. Puree fresh tomatoes?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Very close to my recipe, I add a habanero for fire, and garnish with shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and scallions.

If you fancy more color, a red bell pepper as well as green is nice, and I also add habichuelas blancas, low- sodium when available.

Goes well over jasmine rice, and next day even better over a bed of Tostados, nacho style.
Oh snap, it is chili season, I am so excited.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Very close to my recipe, I add a habanero for fire, and garnish with shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and scallions.

If you fancy more color, a red bell pepper as well as green is nice, and I also add habichuelas blancas, low- sodium when available.

Goes well over jasmine rice, and next day even better over a bed of Tostados, nacho style.
Oh snap, it is chili season, I am so excited.

all of which are great suggestions..and, yes....every real chili lover knows it is way better tomorrow.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No Hunts in the campo. Puree fresh tomatoes?

there are several local brands, and there is Goya, too. maybe fresh might work if you puree half a pound or so, but they have to be really ripe, or you will be cooking for a day to kill the bitterness and acid. tomatoes are not easy to work with.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
If you live in Texas the recipe is pretty simple.
Go to HEB and buy a can of Wolf Brand.
t
Man oh man, I wish we had an HEB in Boston. And Academy sporting goods store. They have everything! throw in cavendar's and I'm all set.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Thanks gorgon just made it today... well wife did :) let you know Tomorrow how it turned out :( wife won’t let me try it!

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I would come home from school and watch The Galloping Gourmet with my mother.

His approach to cooking shaped mine.
1) always have a beverage at hand
2) don't fret about quantities and don't be afraid to substitute.

[video=youtube_share;qbjr_gIRyKI]https://youtu.be/qbjr_gIRyKI[/video]

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I made Gorgon's chilli and it was fabulous. Only thing was no beer so used a bit of red wine instead. Will be my go to chilli recipe from now on in.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I expect I would prefer the red wine to the beer

Or - a la Graham Kerr - .... mix 'em
2 drinks at your side instead of one !!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I made Gorgon's chilli and it was fabulous. Only thing was no beer so used a bit of red wine instead. Will be my go to chilli recipe from now on in.

Matilda

thank you, Matilda. it is good to know that one serves some purpose..