Will the Huelga affect the North Coast

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Will the transportation strike affect the flow along the North Coast today ?
Any reports ?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My kids school in Sosua have cancelled classes today. Apparently there are burning tyres in the road in Charamicos.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
My kids school in Sosua have cancelled classes today. Apparently there are burning tyres in the road in Charamicos.

I'm assuming you mean Rt 5? (Meaningless if it wasn't 5 I guess)

What's the location of the tires? Is there anyway around it by going up the hill?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm assuming you mean Rt 5? (Meaningless if it wasn't 5 I guess)

What's the location of the tires? Is there anyway around it by going up the hill?

I heard reports of burning tyres outside farmacia Alberto. That's on the main through road of Charamicos.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I heard reports of burning tyres outside farmacia Alberto. That's on the main through road of Charamicos.

Thanks. My daughter is in Cabarete and headed to the airport today for a flight out. I'm currently in the States but I sent her a message.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Local news states the military is stopping traffic from Jarabacoa toward Santiago and not letting them pass.

Listin Diario states there are police and military all over Santiago roads and tempers are flaring. A Haitian got shot by the police in one protest. Local guaguas and taxis are no go today.

I had a doctors appointment today in downtown Santiago. Gonna postpone it. Ain't got no time for huelga shenanigans...

Good day to cut the grass.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We closed our school in Jarabacoa and at around 8:10 the school district said there were classes, too late. Oh well, there is plenty for the teachers to do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can Metro buses go to Santo Domingo from Sosua today.... !?

That is a definite maybe.

Santo Domingo.- For the second time in as many weeks the citizens movement that is staging the sit-ins and human chains are demanding that president Danilo Medina step down.

On Fri. the organizations announced their support for the strike called for the north region next Monday.

It said the strike called by the Cibao Organizations and Social Movements Coordinator is to demand lower fuel prices and for Congress to impeach Medina on corruption.

The statement emailed by social activist Enrique de Leon calls on the population to express its rebuke of Medina’s administration through all forms of protests, from sit-ins, human chains and regional marches, to nationwide walkouts.

“If the people take to the streets demanding that Danilo Medina go, the president will not have another choice but to leave office, because it’s impossible to govern with the people against you in a society that proclaims itself democratic and respectful of the rule of law.”

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2018/10/26/next-mondays-strike-organizers-want-medina-out/

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Can Metro buses go to Santo Domingo from Sosua today.... !?

Caribbe Tours buses are running, road to Puerto Plata is open but no taxis but still plenty of Motoconchos and private cars.

Lots of police with arms guarding the route, especially in Charamicos - no signs of problems ...other than increasingly larger potholes

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Yes, it is, I guess he paid all that was due - or part of it to the right person....lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo reported lots of the police on the streets of PP but pretty quiet so far.

all morning i heard military helicopters over costambar, iroquois, i think. they are patrolling PP's exit/entrance road.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
What an awesome quiet day in Sosua without all those transports going by. Feels like a sunday.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I arrived POP at noon and drove peacefully to Cabrera.

No cause will encourage a huelga to miss lunch or go out in the heat of the day

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Just walked home from center of town (Santiago) about an hour ago.
All shops are closed. Felt more like a Sunday than a Monday afternoon.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Went from Cabarete to Playero in Sosua today and no sign of problems anywhere.

which is the way it usually is. whenever there is a huelga that extends to this area of the island, Cabarete and Sosua are not the places to avoid...it is the areas on the linea, such as Navarette and Esperanza.