Cheap and easy finger foods.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
So the challenge is : cheap and easy. Also it has to be so in the dominican republic. Its to easy when you have access to supermarkets back home where all sorts of stuff are cheap. ( like feta, gruyère, etc......).

I will also add that it has to be local.

And lets make it even harder ( maybe even impossible for dominicans ): it cant be fried.

I started off with a typical french salty cake:

3 eggs
200g flour
10-15 cl of milk
10 cl of olive oil
2 tbs of baking powder
Salt and pepper

250g of stuff
100g of cheese

Any kind of herbs and spices.

I just mix up eggs, milk, olive oil, salt and pepper in 1 bowl.
Mix flour and baking powder in another.
Then mix the contents of both bowls togother.

Add the cheese and stuff grated or diced, the herbs and/or spices.

Then bake in the oven for 30mn.

So I have been using typical domincan "plastic" cheese, found in any colmado. But also queso de ojo (?) .
Any other ideas of local cheeses ?

For thestuff i have done eggplant and green peppers, courgette and oignon, tomatoes and carrots.
To be honest it was only because that was what was in the fridge and needed eating, but also because we had salad last night. ;)

So I am open to great ideas of stuff.

Nothing really came close to a spinach, sundried tomatoes and feta cake that i do back home :( :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's queso en hoja because it can be peeled into thin layers. somewhat similar to mozzarella in terms of usage. it melts quite well.
you forgot to mention that you bake that "cake" in a loaf pan. but by the looks of it it would also work as muffins.

if you want salty white cheese use queso de freir (frying cheese). in my opinions dominicans frag it up by frying it in two inches of cheap oil. it's much better grilled or "fried" with no oil in a non-stick pan. then it's very much like halloumi. can be used in salads but i also used it to top a quiche, dal palak, in burgers and more.

my favourite dominican cheese is queso crema san juan. perfect for cheesecake, cookies, russian flat bread, dumplings, gnocchi and more.

Feb 7, 2007
@dv8 I thought Philadelphia cream cheese was the cheese used for cheesecake... so you prepare it with Crema San Juan cheese?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
@dv8 I thought Philadelphia cream cheese was the cheese used for cheesecake... so you prepare it with Crema San Juan cheese?

in murica it's almost always cream cheese. but i use any cheese, depends on what i want the cheesecake to be like. queso crema san juan gives a nice, rich texture. let it come to room temperature and then grind in food processor. i also use ricotta, cream cheese, quark, cottage cheese, mascarpone or a combination of thereof.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Queso de freir is also a good substitute for Indian paneer.

i tried both queso crema and queso de freir as paneer substitute and they both work in terms of flavour but frying cheese stays firm. it's actually a great cheese in general. fantastic for venezuelan golfeados, yummy.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I find the white queso de freir much better in general than the yellow one.