Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flushing toilet paper

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Flushing toilet paper

Are you able to flush toilet paper in the more modern buildings in Santiago and The Capital? I'm in a brand new Building in Santiago . It's 7 stories. Ive never thought to ask. I have family visiting and they are appalled at the thought of putting paper in the trash... lol.

I'll call the office in the morning, I was just hoping to get a quick answer here.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

too funny, I am in Santo Domingo and been flushing it down as long as i can remember. Shucks there has never been a place in this country I didn't toss and flush ............... but then again I never used the facilities in the campo or barrio.

Flush my fren, and enjoy the freedom.

OH, and get yourself a plunger just in case someone tosses too much paper in at a time.
    Last edited by bigbird; 10-29-2018 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added buy a plunger

3. Likes Don PISTOLAS, Juan Bosch liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My family will be so relieved... thank you!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don PISTOLAS View Post
    My family will be so relieved... thank you!!
    Don't forget go to the local hardware store and buy a plunger for those times someone may try to flush too much paper at one time. Five or six good pumps on the plunger will clear that problem up.

6. Likes Don PISTOLAS liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Don't forget go to the local hardware store and buy a plunger for those times someone may try to flush too much paper at one time. Five or six good pumps on the plunger will clear that problem up.
    yes....those overflows can be, er, inconvenient.

8. Likes Don PISTOLAS liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don PISTOLAS View Post
    Are you able to flush toilet paper in the more modern buildings in Santiago and The Capital? I'm in a brand new Building in Santiago . It's 7 stories. Ive never thought to ask. I have family visiting and they are appalled at the thought of putting paper in the trash... lol.

I'll call the office in the morning, I was just hoping to get a quick answer here.
    Some of the older places have 2 inch toilet pipes Hard to believe but true...

10. Likes Don PISTOLAS liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really only a problem if you're on a septic system. Even then, if you use "septic safe" rapidly dissolving toilet paper, you'll have no problem flushing it down the toilet. Scott brand toilet paper has one that is marked "septic safe".

12. Likes Don PISTOLAS liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    It's really only a problem if you're on a septic system. Even then, if you use "septic safe" rapidly dissolving toilet paper, you'll have no problem flushing it down the toilet. Scott brand toilet paper has one that is marked "septic safe".
    The only time toilet paper ever causes a problem in septic systems is at the Baffle , IF it Bunches up, which theoretically can happen at any time,, just bad luck
    .. Trust me I have had to make myself an expert on this in the last 2 years , as NEITHER the Roto Rooter guy NOR my Septic tank Pump Company could solve my recurring problem, the septic guy only agrees to PUMP the Tank , which he did 2 times in a year .. obviously NOT needed the 2nd time as you can guess as my REAL Problem was in the BAFFLE area , which is under a separate Access point ( cement lid) that needs to be dug up.. usually 2 feet from the main access Hole .
    Point is , it does not matter how Biodegradable the paper is if it ever BUNCHES up in this Restricted area which by design makes a 90 degree turn straight down .. Once its clear , the problem is solved , until it happens again, which is why some Homeowners install RISERS for quicker access..
    Now If you use the " Baby wipes" you will be just BEGGING for this Problem . They are NOT designed to be Flushed , EVER .. Don't care what the package says.
    They seem to be a Cash Cow for Roto Rooter Plumbers .. maybe they have some secret agreement with the Baby Wipes industry.. lol
    The Leach Field is a whole different Topic, and if that is compromised you got major problems, usually that is not the case though.

14. Likes Don PISTOLAS liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

MegaColon!!!!!

16. Likes Don PISTOLAS liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with bigbird on this. Toilet paper is designed to disintegrate in water and will only ever be a problem with a septic tank, definitely not in a modern torre with 3 inch tubes. And everyone everywhere says that wet-wipes cause massive problems, so don't flush.

18. Likes Don PISTOLAS, Juan Bosch liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast