Dominicans trying to "get into Canada, the US or any European country"

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
Quote:

There are many Dominicans looking for ways to get into Canada,the US or any European country and they will do anything, ......... to get into the foreign country.

MommC-- I started this a a new thread because I thought it was important ...

I cannot speak for the USA or Europe. But in terms of Canada, for any Dominican who qualifies to come to Canada under Canada's Immigration Act, I would personally offer my services to assist them throught the process ....

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Originally posted by Anna C
By what you write I see that you are an immigration lawyer or something along those lines. Robert! Spam spam here. Soon she'll post her Phone number to help ALL Dominicans. For a fee I'm sure.Give me a break you here to help yourself.

If only you could guess the lottery ticket!

NoMoreSnow I don't think that you'll find many customers in this board. Most of the people hanging around here do not need your services. And if you want to advertise you shouldn't use the forums, after all it is not its purpose. Why not doing it kosher and place an classified add in DR1. I have the feeling that Rob will soon be putting your post in the file no. 13 :rolleyes:

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
PIB

No I do not "work" in Immigration Law ... if fact my immigration services are offered gratuitiously .... My areas of interests are Public Interest .. Social Justice ... Equality Rights. Much of my work is in "Poverty Law"...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
NoMore Snow.......

I think you might want to search the archives....
This is a well discussed topic. You'll find that most people that have a "legitimate" reason for immigrating to Canada also have the educations,skills and funds necessary to obtain a visa!
Unfortunately many of those who have a "legitimate" reson for visiting the country withou having the above can not obtain a "visitors visa" because of the many who have "jumped" the visa and/or the border and not returned to the DR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Interesting Statistics

From The Government of Canada:

Visitors to DR from Canada: 200,400 (2000)*; 157, 500 (Q1-2001)
Visitors to Canada (from DR): 2,583 (visas issued in 2000)
Immigration to Canada from DR: 236 (2000)

Not good odds relative to the traffic the other way. Assuming quite a few visas were business related you probably have under 1,500 Domincans a year ermitted to visit or stay. My bet is the 236 immigrants were family class , or fiance visa.

Note Haiti:

Visitors from Canada: 16,100 (2000); 5,300 (Q1-2001)*
Visitors to Canada: 3500 (1999e)
Immigration to Canada: 1,651 (2000)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Rick.....

What would be interesting would be stats to show how many of those issued visitors visa's left the country after their visit was up!
We were told by the consulate in Santo Domingo that 85% never returned......I felt this was a very high percentage (I would have thought less than 50%) but this is what we were told.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: Rick.....

MommC said:
What would be interesting would be stats to show how many of those issued visitors visa's left the country after their visit was up!
We were told by the consulate in Santo Domingo that 85% never returned......I felt this was a very high percentage (I would have thought less than 50%) but this is what we were told.

We can probably live with a few that don't go given the paucity of the ones that are actually able to get here to begin with. The few I have met ( usually waiting TWOV with an AA agent in Miami) are businessmen and women and at least by the looks of them they are not economic migrants one way.

The US or Canadian Consulate told you this? I am thinking US.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
How's this one

Friend of the family. 35years old. Been at the same job for over 10 years (Producto Sosua). Has carpenter shop on the side. Married with 2 kids. Owns his own home (No mortgage) Salary +RD12,000.00/month. Has US$ and RD$ bank accounts and credit cards. Going to visit a member of my family (No not a girlfriend) for 1 month. Answer NO. No reason given.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Rick....

well since I seem to be putting my foot in my mouth a lot lately :D
let me just say this.....I'm Canadian, it was for a visa for Canada, we paid the $75. fee to the Canadian consulate, they told us they had to send the application to the Embassy in Port auPrince,Haiti for approval, There was a Canadian flag outside and a picture of the Queen in the office so I'm fairly certain it was the Canadian consulate that gave me the 85% figure.
Like I said I thought it high but I don't know where to find the stats they were using.:speechles

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I hear ya, Eddy. I been there with an applicant! Like I have said before, it is seriously just got to be their mood sometimes.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
I Gues 85% of 2,000 people is manageable

MommC said:
well since I seem to be putting my foot in my mouth a lot lately :D
let me just say this.....I'm Canadian, it was for a visa for Canada, we paid the $75. fee to the Canadian consulate, they told us they had to send the application to the Embassy in Port auPrince,Haiti for approval, There was a Canadian flag outside and a picture of the Queen in the office so I'm fairly certain it was the Canadian consulate that gave me the 85% figure.
Like I said I thought it high but I don't know where to find the stats they were using.:speechles

If this is true it is not the largest number of people given how few visas they issue and this also gives the government a lot of ammunition for refusing visas to just about anyone if those who qualify stay here to the tune of 85% of the time.

It is hard to ask selfish people not to act selfishly I guess since all those Dominicans overstaying here make it a lot harder on the rest.