Jan 16, 2009
I need a battery bank -- 1,000/1,100/1,200 amps

My source has just 4 on hand.... I need 12
Any ideas ?

Trace was the company I deal with.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
WW - I thought you had Gel Batteries for your Solar system. They must have lasted about 10 years as I remember the discussion about Battery life some years ago! So what type are you looking for ?

Olly

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes 10 yrs w/ gel but they're getting weak

My man is suggesting Carbon something (??) - long delivery
Trace was the faster solution.... but they are short on inventory - after quoting him 3 days ago!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Please note. Trace never made batteries. Not ever. Trace no longer exists other than as a stolen brand in the DR.

Perhaps LH in Santiago or Megatone in POP/Moca?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In talking with my man...
he seems to have a preference for 6V over 12V batteries.

Olly & Windy.... can you chime in ?
Is there a significant life span difference?
Do you have preferences ?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Lead carbon is what I’m hearing are the best....

Got an opinion?
Lead carbon can be discharged to 70% versus 50% but discharges faster... most lead acid 6 volts are deep cycle jumbo and la Serena had best prices last yr when I bought 16 of them...don’t mix old and new batteries together ..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes Life.... I know the 'don't mix' rule

My watt usage is around 100-125 daily (80+/- when i am alone)
So the bank strength is being geared to that.

These 12V are somewhat cheaper and will yield 1536 amps from a bank of 6.
I'm wondering if it's worth the wait to order the 6V.... or just jump in with the 12's

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Interstate have never been a bad brand for me so far. I'm into 6 years of my second set after twelve years of using them.

They are priced between the expensive Trojan red and the cheaper ones branded as Trace. Although Windy has already chipped in that the inverter manufacturer Trace no longer uses that name, they are now Xantrex, but they never made batteries.

Inverter battery life depends on a lot of factors. How often you completely cycle them, how you charge them and how you maintain them.

I'm guessing that in a solar set up, they get a harder life than compared to just being a back up. As your only source of electricity, I would advise to choose carefully and not scrimp on a very expensive, but important component of your set up.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
I have been buying Trace Batteries from TRACE because they include a warrantee that I don’t think anyone else offers that I could find. I had one bad cell in one new battery after 4 months of use and they gave me a new one, so their warrantee has been tested. Of course it does not last forever. (prorate). At least in POP, Trace will give you $500.00 pesos credit on your old batteries. Not much, but better than nothing. If I could afford Lithium Ion batteries I would use them! I have 16 lead acid Trace bats and 12 solar panels, two 80 amp outback charger regulators and a 3.5 Outback pure sine wave inverter. I take VERY GOOD care of my batt$, equalize when needed, and record the SP every month. One person commented that you should not mix your old and new batts. This is good advice. Remember that your battery bank is only as good as your very worst battery! On a side note, I usually have my CDE power turned OFF to the house. It is only connected to my old Trace inverter for a “charger only” on those days where there may not be enough sunlight. So 100% of everything is pulled off the battery bank. (no regulator / no problem for CDE). As always……your mileage may vary!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am 100% solar.... 15 panels of 195 each

We run the planta every morning to boost the startup
and again at night for an hour or so to top up before the long night.... runs at 8-9pm

These gels are 10 yrs old...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In talking with my man...
he seems to have a preference for 6V over 12V batteries.

Olly & Windy.... can you chime in ?
Is there a significant life span difference?
Do you have preferences ?

I don't know of many 12V deep cycle batteries. 6V is normal for this type of application unless you are getting really large batteries that are single cell 2 V versions.

La Sirena is also a good source for 6 V batteries like Trojan Red and Interstate.

When I spoke to Interstate, they told me that their batteries were not the best choice for a tropical environment because they had less electrolyte and that causes them to deteriorate a bit faster than the Trojan Red batteries. Both Interstate and Trojan are good brands, but I just wanted to add that detail.

I never used anything but regular lead acid deep cycle 6V batteries. Mostly from Trojan because they worked best for me.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been buying Trace Batteries from TRACE because they include a warrantee that I don’t think anyone else offers that I could find. I had one bad cell in one new battery after 4 months of use and they gave me a new one, so their warrantee has been tested. Of course it does not last forever. (prorate). At least in POP, Trace will give you $500.00 pesos credit on your old batteries. Not much, but better than nothing. If I could afford Lithium Ion batteries I would use them! I have 16 lead acid Trace bats and 12 solar panels, two 80 amp outback charger regulators and a 3.5 Outback pure sine wave inverter. I take VERY GOOD care of my batt$, equalize when needed, and record the SP every month. One person commented that you should not mix your old and new batts. This is good advice. Remember that your battery bank is only as good as your very worst battery! On a side note, I usually have my CDE power turned OFF to the house. It is only connected to my old Trace inverter for a “charger only” on those days where there may not be enough sunlight. So 100% of everything is pulled off the battery bank. (no regulator / no problem for CDE). As always……your mileage may vary!!!

Trace, the company that once existed in the USA, once again, never made batteries. Not ever. I spoke directly to them about this before and after they became Xantrex and now Schneider.

The batteries you are buying labelled TRACE are some Dominican private labelled battery from who knows where. But, if they work well for you, then that is a good thing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't know of many 12V deep cycle batteries. 6V is normal for this type of application unless you are getting really large batteries that are single cell 2 V versions.

The 2V type has been mentioned to me.

I am trying to avoid a disaster - a failure.

What my man wants is not available for arrival here until January.
So , if there is a reasonable solution... a 5-6 yr answer for a decent price -- I'm in !!
The 6V are better than the 12V - as I understand it

By then , we may see improvement in battery technology/performance and price.

My solar panels from 10 yrs ago were $1300 each.... like $250 now/today

Vamos a ver

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The 2V versions like those from Rolls are monsters. Expensive, heavy and long lasting.

5 to 6 years is more than most will ever get out of deep cycle batteries, but much of that depends upon how many times and how deeply they are discharged. It is all about trade offs of cost, battery bank size and technology.

A lithium on Power Wall from Tesla, perhaps?