Bad experience

stabitha

Nov 2, 2018
Hello everyone, I am new to this site but I need to get different opinions. My friends, some family and I were in the DR several months ago for a well needed vacation. We met some locals that invited us out to see the true Island. Since we are adventurous and love going off the beaten path, we agreed and went out for an evening out for dinner and dancing. We met some of their "family" members at a decent restaurant, we danced, talked, but didnt want to drink alcohol since this was all new to us. The talked into installing Whatsapp on our phones (never used before), and traded numbers. We met an "uncle" who offered us a free excursion but we know that they dont make alot of money so we accepted but paid our own way. I thought it was all going to be friendly but unfortunately this "guy" who leads the excursion took too much of an interest in my aunt (i think he noticed all of our wedding bands and took an interest in the one who didnt have one on), in which I thought it was all friendly. Unbeknownst to us it wasnt. Until she blocked him he was asking for money to buy a car (cause it broke down, and when she came back he could show her the island), a phone (because his just broke, but he was still messaging ???), and he actually said he wanted to get an apartment for them(so when she came in to visit him she didnt have to pay for a hotel), Um "NO". WTF is that.
I think the Island is beautiful and we had an awesome time and would love to return but I am completely turned off by this experience. I would really hate to meet up with any of the so called friends again. But what are the chances? I have basically traveled many exotic places and never experienced anything like this. I feel guilty for not reading the signs. Live and learn I guess.
Any opinions?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
... Um "NO". WTF is that......Any opinions?

Unfortunately this type of behavior is very widespread down here,
especially when you start meeting the "extended" family.

Welcome to Wonderland!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In the third world, when you "are adventurous and love going off the beaten path" this is what you can expect. You now know for next time, stick with sanctioned excursions, don't go home with the natives and don't put yourself in a position where you are isolated.

Delete Whatsapp (Facebook is evil). Signal is a better alternative and the locals don't use it. Win, win.

Last edited:

stabitha

Nov 2, 2018
Im sure we were a little cautious, never went to anyones home, took plate numbers down, text family to let them know where we would be, and made sure we were in a very public place. Nothing late evening and hotel food was giving us stomach issues.

What is Signal, is that a real thing?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Signal is an app for your phone. Does the same things as whatsapp only with better encryption and is put out by a nonprofit instead of an evil social media company with a proven track record of amassing your data and conversations for profit.

Glad you were careful while out and about. Many aren't quite so on-the-ball. In the end though, as with travelling in any foreign country and even some places at home, not everyone you meet is your friend despite what they claim. It takes awhile to understand life off the resort in the DR and as such it takes time and some hard knocks to be able to recognize when you are being sized up. Thankfully, most of the time, most just get separated from some of their money. Others on occasion don't make out quite so well.

In this country, a healthy dose of skepticism and a skoch paranoia is the order of the day for all visitors.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
As Dominican a feel ashame about that situation, but when you travel you must be carefull about what things to do and more if is some body that you just met, here exist the bad perception that all turist are rich, their ignorance do not let them to think that the most of the people that visit here must work very hard and save for one year just to have 7 nice vacations days.

Next time if you do not know any body you better go to Santo Domingo for 1 night and see the real island by yourself and read about places to visit, and start from there having you the control on what you want to see.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
As Dominican a feel ashame about that situation, but when you travel you must be carefull about what things to do and more if is some body that you just met, here exist the bad perception that all turist are rich, their ignorance do not let them to think that the most of the people that visit here must work very hard and save for one year just to have 7 nice vacations days.

Next time if you do not know any body you better go to Santo Domingo for 1 night and see the real island by yourself and read about places to visit, and start from there having you the control on what you want to see.

I wish it were true Riva that Dominicans are ashamed of some of their behavior but you are one of very few and a rare exception.
Just some examples - a fish very successful restaurant near the semaforo en Charamicos that illegally tied into Coraplata water and his leak wasted hundreds of thousands of gallons of water (they could easily pay) , or the taxi drivers and motos who drive into our neighborhood and toss bags of trash and Styrofoam food containers onto the street or empty lots.
Or the taller that tells you and charges you for a name brand part installed on your car only to find out when it broke it was
actually Chinese crap, and there is no real warranty.

Or those who have special "gringo prices".
There are no jacked up prices for Dominicans in the states. Everyone is given the same deal as it should be and Americans would speak out if they caught a business charging someone extra because they weren't born there.

When the pollution, tricks and gouging stop then Latin America will find its real success.
But will it ever be more than immediate satisfaction (plato del día) and sankyism ?

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Live and learn I guess.

Whoop! There it is ....!Put it all down to experience...delete all numbers...move on .

Don’t be “ completely turned off by this experience “ . It makes you makes you stronger because now that you have an idea of what to look out for , you will have a BS free vacation next time because you will focus on enjoying your vacation on your terms.

It’s only a problem for you if you give your time and attention to all the BS . If you ignore all the BS they will simply move on and find other potential victims.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Thread smells like click bait to me.

Can anybody actually be this dumb?

Has to be click bait.

Just my $0.02

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Precisely
The right people are here...but they’re picky too

Being an idiot isn’t attractive

With the proper introduction.. it all works rather well

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
In all honesty I’m surprised that they didn’t go after everyone, wedding bands or not. Also that the group made it out unscathed. That is if your aunt does sever the ties.

This type of thing is commonplace throughout the Caribbean and other developing nations. The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country just be smarter next time, you will be fine.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...if someone here is to friendly, offers free things....wants to show you around....dont walk away....RUN.......

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If someone on the beech has a really, really cheap trip. It's usually not a good idea.use a rep. tour co. May be cheaper then a resort co. The DR. is a great place, but your not in OZ.

stabitha

Nov 2, 2018
It was a reputable Excursion from a well known company in DR. Actually the plot has thickened. She placed a complaint with the company, deleted Whatsapp and blocked his number. Only for him to called blocked in which she answered, she shouldve known not to answer blocked numbers. He told her that the complaint she filed with him using the company as a ploy to get money from her has backfired on her as his friend told him everything and he did not get in trouble. Not even sure why he reached out to her. It was more of a big f/u to her and him gloating about what he did. Before deleting Whatsapp she saved all of the messages. Is there anywhere official she can lodge a complaint, or is this a lost cause. Sort of like a live and learn kind of deal?