Hurricanes in August?

solomita

May 10, 2002
My husband and I want to plan a trip for our first anniversary. We were looking at going to either Punta Cana or La Romana from August 4-11. Is this a bad time to go there? The travel agent said we would just be missing the height of hurricane season which starts mid august. Any advice?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
By all means GO!!!

You'll have a great time.........
and don't worry about hurricanes........(that's kinda like worrying about leaving the house for fear you'll get hit by a bus while walking down the sidewalk!!)

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Come over and have a great time, I always used to come in August and never had anything but good weather... now I'm living here and have good weather all year long.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The fact is

That you should come to the North Coast, since the urricanes never bother that coast.

FYI, Hurricane David was the deadliest hurricane in recent (1979) memory. San Zenon was the most terrifying back in 1930. Every year there are pictures in the papers about San Zenon. Both of these were in August. So was Allen in 1980....

However, it is important to know the the National Hurricane Service and the US Weather Department and the Hurricane Center in Miami all are easily accessed, and we get enormous lead time, so there is absolutely no danger.

Besides, they are a blast to watch! Especially if you are a hillbilly like me and will go out to the Malecon in Santo Domingo so the waves can wash over you as they break on to George Washington Ave.!!!
needs_a_shave.gif

Under no circumstance should you have any worries....just come and enjoy...

HB, hoping we get some this year...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Normally, early August hurricane formation more likely in Gulf of Mexico and off east coast of US.