Moving to Punta Cana or Miches

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Hola to you. I'm not an X-pat yet but planning on it. Contract terminates in March. So ..
This is the first thread I found concerning the area I would like to locate to. Punta Cana appears nice. Good marinas, golf courses. But cost? I had thought of Miches too. Seems simpler, less touristas from cruise ships.
I was planning to fly there near end of Feb. to check it out. Any information will be helpful. So far I've got only requests to help from attorneys. Barristers?
Thanx for any help.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
There are no ports for cruise ships in or near Punta Cana. You're thinking of Puerto Plata, ~8 hour drive away.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
He mentioned Marinas. Those are available in PC to have a boat docked.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
They are world's apart. Miches is a small town far away from pretty much anything. It used to have a reputation of being one of the biggest import spots for illegal drugs but not sure if that was true or not. There are no super markets and all the restaurants are local only and no golf course.
The PC area has everything and unless you want the beach or PC village rent can be fairly cheap.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
They are world's apart. Miches is a small town far away from pretty much anything. It used to have a reputation of being one of the biggest import spots for illegal drugs but not sure if that was true or not. There are no super markets and all the restaurants are local only and no golf course.
The PC area has everything and unless you want the beach or PC village rent can be fairly cheap.

Miches area is just born for new turist developments, About Punta Cana Cruiships actually they are receiving cruise ships at Cap Cana area, not sure the term in english but in spanish they called Fondear, that is when they stop in an area that is not a port like they do in Samana Area and when they stop near to Catalina Island in La Romana. Maybe you should go arround Juan Dolio Area and explore too, they have beaches, Golf courses too. few restaurants, Supermarkets are 20 minutes drive in San Pedro de Macoris and is close to Santo Domingo for everything else you need.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Thanx for the reply. Yeah, Luperon is a major stop for cruisers clearing into the D.R. Crowded harbour and a bit dirty because of it. Still pretty nice though. Ill do the same when leaving the Turks'.
I know they charge for an anchor ball, not sure about just anchoring though. (also smart to pay dock boy to watch your boat if off it)

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Miches area is just born for new turist developments, About Punta Cana Cruiships actually they are receiving cruise ships at Cap Cana area, not sure the term in english but in spanish they called Fondear, that is when they stop in an area that is not a port like they do in Samana Area and when they stop near to Catalina Island in La Romana. Maybe you should go arround Juan Dolio Area and explore too, they have beaches, Golf courses too. few restaurants, Supermarkets are 20 minutes drive in San Pedro de Macoris and is close to Santo Domingo for everything else you need.

To both Riva_31 and Melphis. Mucho gusto! I'm beginning to feel like an explorer now. So many places to check out. As to small villages, assuming Miches is one; it sounds like the Bahama's family islands. Deliveries once a month, so plan on it. But there one could contract a delivery [company boat] and what you wanted would be packaged up for you. Plus everyone was on the radio. Get anything from baked goods to rum. Free delivery to the beach. But you'd better be VERY nice about it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
And few medical centers.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Keep your eyes open.

If you want to be alone with minimum amenities, low costs, DIY, Miches is OK.

If you need amenities, Punta Cana / Bavaro is the location.

In the Punta Cana tourist zone, there are big grocery chains, automobile services, night entertainment, movie theaters, better transportation infrastructure, hardware stores, medical services, building supplies, some government services, and restaurants.

Note: Miches is about 100 km 62 miles from PUJ airport. US$160 via taxi. Bus transit is complicated by transfers and very limited baggage storage.

Depends on what you want and willing to pay.

Keep your eyes open and wallet closed with attorneys. They have ethics problems. Look for recommendations for good attorneys from someone you may know here. Otherwise you may try this website contributor, Guzman Ariza.

Regards,

PJT

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Well, I'm pretty use to minimum, living on the boat. Low cost is always good. Paradox is what you get though. Better to be minimum when maximum is available! Marinas appear geared to (very) much larger vessels than mine. Don't know if they'd let you stay on board though. Oh well.
Nice to know attorneys are the same everywhere. Questioned one about a visa. Just curious you know? Pricey yes, but found I can do that even before I leave here. Much less costly. Done properly too I would suspect.
Bus rides sound like an adventure. In the Bahama's they will stop anywhere you want, often wait too. One waited while I shopped a package store. Smiles all around when I returned with a case of rum. And no chickens or goats on the bus either.

As always thanx so much for the help,
S51.