Seaweed

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
I'm located in Bavaro (Cocotal), can anyone shed any light on the continued invasion of seaweed on the beach this year. Sometimes it's light, other times heavy, however, virtually daily all year. Would appreciate some knowledgeable insight why?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Happened last year too. I think the damage to the reef is part of the problem. Not much seaweed on the north coast.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
It's spill over from broken seaweed from the Sergassium Sea. It showed up here about 3 years ago. Scientists can't seem to agree on why it happens or for how long it floats at sea. It's not a local issue as when it showed up here pretty much every Caribbean Island, the gulf coast and most of the eastern US coastline up to Canada had problems as well.

So far this year it's been petty mild. We can only hope the currents keep it at sea as our beach clean up guys are starting to look exhausted.

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
I am the sargassum expert! Headed into southern Mexico on a ship in the morning. Due to the growth and currents it ends up dumped on certain beaches. Once it is on the beach the animal life dies and gives off the most obnoxious gas. I have 800 on tour in the morning but we limited the beach tours so we will have less drama.

Two years ago it was bad