Hammer Drill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Looking to find a decent place to buy a cordless hammer drill (new with battery & charger) on North Coast.

Name brands: Dewalt, Milwaukee or Porter Cable, at least 18 volt. Without having to go to Santo Domingo or paying "bend-over prices", like I was quoted in a Ferreteria in POP for a 20 Volt Dewalt for 25,000 pesos for only $180 in the US but not sure they would fly the lithium ion batteries in ?

And suggestions guys ?

A man without a hammer drill is like a fish out of water.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I drilled over 3000 holes in concrete with my Mikita 18 volt and the battery died this year. I would recommend it to anyone. The down side is I have no idea where to get new batteries here. JD gave me a solution on repair but it's above my pay grade with my limited tools here.
If you are not on the Island yet put the drill in your packed luggage and the batteries in carry on.
You have no idea how much you will miss a cordless until it's gone

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Demolition with a HD?

I have the big plug in drill as well but it's a pain to keep running cords. A good 18volt cordless is the way to go for most stuff and as I said I miss it. If your doing a complete reno get both as they do overheat and you can switch them out

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have the 18v Craftsman hammer drill. With the right bits it will drill through any hardened concrete. Order off eBay or Amazon and ship it here.

EPS will ship Lithium batteries. They have a new policy where LiPo batteries and other designated dangerous air cargo items are consolidated and shipped over once a week. That will probably increase as they shift into holiday season.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Cordless Hammer Drill?

A man needs corded HD to get it right. Not enough torque on a cordless me thinks.

For 3/4" and above or deep holes yeah. I have a Hilti TE72 with a panoply of bits and bushing tools. If I could ship it here reasonably I would.
But today's cordless drills are way stronger than days of old or maybe you tried the Ryobi (Home Depot bargain bin) or other Chinese (garbage aka Harbor Freight tools)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I drilled over 3000 holes in concrete with my Mikita 18 volt and the battery died this year. I would recommend it to anyone. The down side is I have no idea where to get new batteries here. JD gave me a solution on repair but it's above my pay grade with my limited tools here.
If you are not on the Island yet put the drill in your packed luggage and the batteries in carry on.

EBay but cost of batteries is almost same as new drill unless you buy useless Chinese batteries. Makita is good too, as is Bosch

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I believe you can buy Makita batteries in Bellon in Santiago.

Sep 4, 2012
For 3/4" and above or deep holes yeah. I have a Hilti TE72 with a panoply of bits and bushing tools. If I could ship it here reasonably I would.
But today's cordless drills are way stronger than days of old or maybe you tried the Ryobi (Home Depot bargain bin) or other Chinese (garbage aka Harbor Freight tools)

Whenever I think of HDs for usage, I am thinking tough jobs thus corded has always been the go to guy.

I use nothing but Dewalt and believe it or not -- Harbor F as disposable tools, AKA one time use and throw away there after.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Cordless Hammer Drill?

A man needs corded HD to get it right. Not enough torque on a cordless me thinks.
They are great here in the US for playwood or sheetrock...

I have both Dewalt corded for heavy duti jobs and a 18 Volts Makita...

JJ

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hammer drills and rotary hammers are both excellent for drilling masonry. Rotary hammers are more powerful, though, and have a “hammer-only” mode with no rotation. They usually have an SDS chuck, which is better for hammering. ... As the hammer drill spins, the bit chisels away at the masonry.

The hammer drill would be the smaller tool used for drilling holes for masonry anchors, etc. Whereas the rotary hammer is the larger tool when you start to get into demolition of a concrete wall.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Today's hammer drill with the Batteries are very good .... to buy i would try america fetterina in SD next to the Ikea their have a huge selections....... HD with power cords suck because when the power is down you are sh## of of luck. ok all you Einstein's

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....... HD with power cords suck because when the power is down you are sh## of of luck. ok all you Einstein's

Just curious, what do you do when the power is down and the battery goes dead?

Back to tools, has anyone tried the impact driver. I see DeWalt and the likes sell a lot of combo kits consisting of the hammer drill and impact driver.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Here is a Good Deal

1o9bt5.jpg

Not the top of the line model but for small projects around the house I don't think you could go wrong on this deal.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Just curious, what do you do when the power is down and the battery goes dead?

Back to tools, has anyone tried the impact driver. I see DeWalt and the likes sell a lot of combo kits consisting of the hammer drill and impact driver.
I have two batteries,, and the dewalt kits are good

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have two batteries,, and the dewalt kits are good

I knew that is what you would say. LOL

The hammer drill with a cord do NOT suck. It all depends on what your project is. If I had a project which required drilling a lot of holes in concrete for masonry anchors I would grab my corded hammer drill without hesitation. The corded drill packs a whole lot more power and will get the job done quicker. Now if just a small little project around the home the cordless drill is just fine.

ALL depends on project of the day.