beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
[video=youtube_share;BpA6TC0T_Lw]https://youtu.be/BpA6TC0T_Lw[/video]

You might like this movie.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Interesting, wonder how many Dominicans have served in the US Military?

Gross numbers not sure. A decent amount of Soldiers and Sailors with Spanish names have served. I knew multiple guys who were of DR heritage when I was in the Army. Today probably 15% of the USA military has a Spanish surname.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Interesting, wonder how many Dominicans have served in the US Military?
My wife's cousin, Peter Olivo, served in Viet Nam as an immigrant and lost both legs to the hip, and most fingers on one hand.

He has done exceptionally well in life and is one of my personal heros, a true Profile in Courage.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
No. His Democrat opponent slimed him by calling him "not a true American" and "trying to win sympathy with his war injuries."

The article I read was confusing. There is a youtube of him describing his war time experience. I haven't viewed it yet. other soldiers are featured in that video series.

He does seem like the genuine article, that's for sure.

May 5, 2007
My wife's cousin, Peter Olivo, served in Viet Nam as an immigrant and lost both legs to the hip, and most fingers on one hand.

He has done exceptionally well in life and is one of my personal heros, a true Profile in Courage.
Name rings a bell was he denied a more prestigious medal for his injuries (Bronze instead of silver, DSC instead of Navy Cross etc Don't believe it was silver instead of CMH but something in there) , allegedly due to his heritage or something? There was a seminar I once took about prejudice and commendations during Vietnam conflict and that name sounds familiar

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Name rings a bell was he denied a more prestigious medal for his injuries (Bronze instead of silver, DSC instead of Navy Cross etc Don't believe it was silver instead of CMH but something in there) , allegedly due to his heritage or something? There was a seminar I once took about prejudice and commendations during Vietnam conflict and that name sounds familiar
He does not talk much about some aspects of his injuries, and I never felt compelled to ask.

We have considered him in our documentary, but I can't strike a reasonable deal with the few companies who created custom trikes for handicapped riders.

Peter is one of my personal heros. I don't know if I have the inner strength to endure and prosper as he has after such horrific injuries.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The article I read was confusing. There is a youtube of him describing his war time experience. I haven't viewed it yet. other soldiers are featured in that video series.

He does seem like the genuine article, that's for sure.
His opponent is the quintessential establishment Good Ol' Gal in the local and FL Democrat Party.

She got pretty damn nasty.

But Peter took the high road. I'm not sure I could have.