New Amortiguadores - Buy in US and ship

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
OK - So I related my story before, (since deleted), about a highly advertised shop in Puerto Plata selling me shocks and struts for $ 130 each (+ impuestos) for my 4x4 Santa Fe SUV.

One rear shock failed after ~2000 kilometers ( noticed it at oil change at 9 weeks after install) and they refused to warranty the shock absorber, saying I 'abused it', how can you argue such a silly statement ?
It's like asking "When did you stop beating your wife".....:)
They just didn't want to lose a peso.

I only drove on the road between Sosua / Cabarete & Puerto Plata in those 9 weeks - I guess that's the abuse ?

Anyway I ordered 2 KYB top of the line gas shocks for $120/pair and paid the dreadful cost to ship them ( 2 days ) of 2,200 pesos. No problem flying in the shocks as some had said might happen (via CPS)

Installation at Taller Rubio was 800 pesos for both in 15 minutes.

So all in $180 US or more than $80 cheaper than the shop in POP and way higher quality shocks.

I can tell the difference in faster recovery over bumps and no body roll and the difference was noticeable immediately.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Glad you got that sorted. I suspect buying direct and shipping may be a better alternative for a lot of things. At least you know what you are getting.

Anyone have any experiences with the major dealerships in SD? Dealerships are generally horribly expensive and all, but just curious. Our friend in Las Terrenas had to flat bed his truck to SD because the locals hosed up his engine repair. Some repairs I suspect will be too specialized for anyone but the dealer.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Good to know. 2200 pesos for 2 day delivery of a pair of shocks seems very reasonable to me. Who is CPS?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It might pay to ship by ‘slow boat’ mudanza and keep a pair on hand.
I did the same... shipped in shocks for the Jeep.
Keeping a small inventory of parts can be valuable

Heck ... I’ve shipped in my oil.....

As I have said... I ship in all the important things..and it’s not costly

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Good to know. 2200 pesos for 2 day delivery of a pair of shocks seems very reasonable to me. Who is CPS?

Freight delivery service between Sosua Batey and David's Tire Shop on North Side of road.
19°46'18.92"N, -70°29'56.60"W on your GPS

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It might pay to ship by ‘slow boat’ mudanza and keep a pair on hand.
I did the same... shipped in shocks for the Jeep.
Keeping a small inventory of parts can be valuable

Heck ... I’ve shipped in my oil.....

As I have said... I ship in all the important things..and it’s not costly

William - Who do you use to ship & how that is 'not costly'

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Glad you got that sorted. I suspect buying direct and shipping may be a better alternative for a lot of things. At least you know what you are getting.

Anyone have any experiences with the major dealerships in SD? Dealerships are generally horribly expensive and all, but just curious. Our friend in Las Terrenas had to flat bed his truck to SD because the locals hosed up his engine repair. Some repairs I suspect will be too specialized for anyone but the dealer.

Hosing repairs is a full time job for most 'mechanics' in DR. I think there are some who couldn't change a bicycle flat calling themselves mechanics. If I am not dealing with a man in at least his mid-30s, then I know he doesn't know squat.

I recommend Rubio near the Base in Puerto Plata. Reasonable prices, nice guy and will listen to you explain things in broken Spanish.
Camps Automotive in Puerto Plata is good but more pricey.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
William - Who do you use to ship & how that is 'not costly'

I buy online with free shipping usually

Then send to my mudanza in NYC
Awilda Shipping.... Jesus Parra
Only glitch is he doesn’t take credit cards... his clientele doesn’t have them... hahaha

Pricing depends ... a box is about $30...barrels, add $100 or so to that

Problem with the fast in shippers is they go by weight
I use them for light stuff only
Plus ... they have the $200 rule.... taxes

I have a BIG box coming next week, a refrigerator box
Trimmer, blower, vacuum cleaner and assorted personal effects
$200....
They stuffed it full.
Door to door...

I’m a believer

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I buy online with free shipping usually

Then send to my mudanza in NYC
Awilda Shipping.... Jesus Parra
Only glitch is he doesn’t take credit cards... his clientele doesn’t have them... hahaha

Pricing depends ... a box is about $30...barrels, add $100 or so to that

Problem with the fast in shippers is they go by weight
I use them for light stuff only
Plus ... they have the $200 rule.... taxes

I have a BIG box coming next week, a refrigerator box
Trimmer, blower, vacuum cleaner and assorted personal effects
$200....
They stuffed it full.
Door to door...

I’m a believer

You and Micky Dolenz. Are you a former Monkey ?
Anyway then how do you pay him ? Do you tip the delivery guy.
Thinking of sending my Hilti TE 72 and bits - weighs about 65 lbs. Maybe also throw in a new Hammer drill
So you ship to his address free, then he has an address registered to you like the ship-by-weight shippers ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He uses the boat
Yes I am on file...

You can pay the delivery truck.... no tips from me
I usually send a check if I’m in the USA...
Or drop off with cash

Use my name ... you need to box your stuff...or he will do it

It’s very easy

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
OK - So I related my story before, (since deleted), about a highly advertised shop in Puerto Plata selling me shocks and struts for $ 130 each (+ impuestos) for my 4x4 Santa Fe SUV.

One rear shock failed after ~2000 kilometers ( noticed it at oil change at 9 weeks after install) and they refused to warranty the shock absorber, saying I 'abused it', how can you argue such a silly statement ?
It's like asking "When did you stop beating your wife".....:)
They just didn't want to lose a peso.

I only drove on the road between Sosua / Cabarete & Puerto Plata in those 9 weeks - I guess that's the abuse ?

Anyway I ordered 2 KYB top of the line gas shocks for $120/pair and paid the dreadful cost to ship them ( 2 days ) of 2,200 pesos. No problem flying in the shocks as some had said might happen (via CPS)

Installation at Taller Rubio was 800 pesos for both in 15 minutes.

So all in $180 US or more than $80 cheaper than the shop in POP and way higher quality shocks.

I can tell the difference in faster recovery over bumps and no body roll and the difference was noticeable immediately.

Its my understanding Gorgon lives up in that area of the country and
has a few good contacts in the automotive industry in Puerto Plata.
Perhaps you should try reaching out to him and see if he can assist
you.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You and Micky Dolenz. Are you a former Monkey ?
Anyway then how do you pay him ? Do you tip the delivery guy.
Thinking of sending my Hilti TE 72 and bits - weighs about 65 lbs. Maybe also throw in a new Hammer drill
So you ship to his address free, then he has an address registered to you like the ship-by-weight shippers ?

I sent a Hilti rotary drill and a small Craftman drill a couple years ago using Vimenca, I pay from NC to MIA $ 30. Dollars and the person who received the box in DR paid about RD 6,000.

JJ