Thread: Shipping tyres

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shipping tyres

I didn't want to hijack Chico Bill's thread about shipping in shock absorbers, but I give him credit for doing so and avoiding being ripped off by the majority of local mechanics here. Even those with any sort of mechanical knowledge get ripped off. I've learned the hard way, several times.

Anyway, my trusty Highlander is going to be needing a ship set of tyres soon. I've been balancing up the options. Do I buy cheap Chinese ones here at marked up prices? Do I buy second hand? Or do I opt for the premium branded ones? Many will have expired the shelf life and are sent here to be sold on at their over inflated prices.

Doing some online research, the OEM Bridgestone tyres still get a very good reviews, but I'm looking at around $850 for a set online from a retailer like Tire Rack. The next best reviews are by Firestone and score very high with the exception of ice and snow traction. Well that's obviously not going to be a deal breaker for me here is it! A full set of Firestones can be had for around $600 including shipping to any US address.

So my question is shipping them here. I see people like WW use a mudanza company. I've never used these services before. How do they work? I have accounts with CPS, EPS and Encargopaq, all of which use maritime freight for heavy and bulky items. Some of them charge a percentage of the invoice amount for the shipping, such as Encargopaq. Their tariff is likely to be 45 percent.

What's a consensus on buying tyres? FYI they are 245/55R19

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've stated before that all four sets of HyFly tires we have purchased the last four years have performed to top satisfaction in every category.

I am especially happy with the HiFly Vigorous AT601's. They are a rugged all-terrain tire equally at home on tarmac and gravel. Thick tread. The tread design does a fantastic job channeling water. I'm on my third set on two explorers and an E350. I have the LT version on our 15-passenger E350. We put the HT601 highway version on our last Explorer, put 25000mi on them and went with the all-terrain. The old tires still had a lot of tread left, and I sold them used for RD$7500.

The recent AT601 set for our Explorer were RD$23,000. Excellent bang for the buck.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    I didn't want to hijack Chico Bill's thread about shipping in shock absorbers, but I give him credit for doing so and avoiding being ripped off by the majority of local mechanics here. Even those with any sort of mechanical knowledge get ripped off. I've learned the hard way, several times.

Anyway, my trusty Highlander is going to be needing a ship set of tyres soon. I've been balancing up the options. Do I buy cheap Chinese ones here at marked up prices? Do I buy second hand? Or do I opt for the premium branded ones? Many will have expired the shelf life and are sent here to be sold on at their over inflated prices.

Doing some online research, the OEM Bridgestone tyres still get a very good reviews, but I'm looking at around $850 for a set online from a retailer like Tire Rack. The next best reviews are by Firestone and score very high with the exception of ice and snow traction. Well that's obviously not going to be a deal breaker for me here is it! A full set of Firestones can be had for around $600 including shipping to any US address.

So my question is shipping them here. I see people like WW use a mudanza company. I've never used these services before. How do they work? I have accounts with CPS, EPS and Encargopaq, all of which use maritime freight for heavy and bulky items. Some of them charge a percentage of the invoice amount for the shipping, such as Encargopaq. Their tariff is likely to be 45 percent.

What's a consensus on buying tyres? FYI they are 245/55R19
    Buy them in US, no question.

We’re making a shipment to DR in about a month, lots of baseball equipment and personal stuff. Mr AE just called our guy, and if you want to ship them in with our stuff it will cost $45 per tire. Would be a lot more if shipped separately.

The downside is that we’re on the south coast, but if that’s not an issue, drop me a message.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

4. Likes beeza liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent most of my life in the tire biz and never thought I would ever buy the Chinese stuff. The only thing I could find here were a set on Nam Kams and they have lasted a very long time so far (9 years and counting). They have some minimal weather checking but are still working great.
    I would take the gamble and try what Cobraboy suggested.
    Most tire manufactures these days make pretty decent stuff as in a global market with everyone quick on their keyboards it's hard to stay in business if you make junk

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I've stated before that all four sets of HyFly tires we have purchased the last four years have performed to top satisfaction in every category.

I am especially happy with the HiFly Vigorous AT601's. They are a rugged all-terrain tire equally at home on tarmac and gravel. Thick tread. The tread design does a fantastic job channeling water. I'm on my third set on two explorers and an E350. I have the LT version on our 15-passenger E350. We put the HT601 highway version on our last Explorer, put 25000mi on them and went with the all-terrain. The old tires still had a lot of tread left, and I sold them used for RD$7500.

The recent AT601 set for our Explorer were RD$23,000. Excellent bang for the buck.
    Where did you buy them from?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a place - with a price match guarantee

Simpletire.com
    https://simpletire.com/low-price-guarantee

I have used them...
    I forget my shipping price but it was in the $35-45/tire range

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Where did you buy them from?
    Large, old local tire store that's a pillar of the Jarabacoa community called Casa de las Gomas.

They have specialized in truck tires, and got into car tires about 5 years ago. Good people.