International Divorce

Mercy

Feb 18, 2002
Hi there,
I have a divorce question: Married in Argentina, never shared as spouses as on the wedding day, each party went it's own way, one of the spouses moved to Dominican Republic over 10 years ago and wishes to disolve the marriage contract. Would an unilateral divorce processed in Dominican Republic be valid in Argentina?

Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Mercy

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Divorces in the DR are only possible if one of the partners has strong links to the country such as is a Dominican or a legal resident. Dominican divorces are legal across the world. There is also something called a divorce a vapor which is more expensive, neither party has to be Dominican and is completed in a few days. That is not legal across the world. Best worth checking with the authorities in Argentina as to if they would recognise a divorce carried out in the DR if neither party were Dominican nationals.

Matilda

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...as a side note if you get married in the DR.....you know a legal wedding with a Judge...its only legal in the DR....to be legal in the rest of the world, you need to register the paperwork in your home town in your home country.....I did all that was required it is impossible in the USA...maybe thats a good thing.........Doc............

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
...as a side note if you get married in the DR.....you know a legal wedding with a Judge...its only legal in the DR....to be legal in the rest of the world, you need to register the paperwork in your home town in your home country.....I did all that was required it is impossible in the USA...maybe thats a good thing.........Doc............

That is not true for Canada or the UK. In the UK you can no longer register a foreign marriage, if it is legal in the DR it is legal in the UK and according to the US State Department, the need to register the marriage in the US depends on the state.

Jan 9, 2004
Divorces in the DR are only possible if one of the partners has strong links to the country such as is a Dominican or a legal resident. Dominican divorces are legal across the world. There is also something called a divorce a vapor which is more expensive, neither party has to be Dominican and is completed in a few days. That is not legal across the world. Best worth checking with the authorities in Argentina as to if they would recognise a divorce carried out in the DR if neither party were Dominican nationals.

Matilda

While there are legal considerations to be looked at in ones home state/country, mutual consent divorces are still, to the best of my knowledge, available to foreigners with only one party needing to appear.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
=Matilda;1922184]Correct but they are not recognised in all states in the US or countries. https://people.howstuffworks.com/get-secret-divorce.htm

And that may be true in certain countries............but in the US, I am not aware of any jurisdiction that does not give full effect to legally done mutual consent divorces in the DR.

Your link is mostly for a secret divorce.........not one of mutual consent.....but does go on to list mutual consent requirements.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Respectfully Playacaribe2, secret or not, divorcios al vapor are not recognized in all US states so it is always worth checking. They are also expensive. Mutual consent divorces where one spouse has links to the Dominican Republic ie a citizen or a resident are not the same and are recognized in the US although they do take longer than divorcios al vapor.

Jan 9, 2004
Respectfully Playacaribe2, secret or not, divorcios al vapor are not recognized in all US states so it is always worth checking. They are also expensive. Mutual consent divorces where one spouse has links to the Dominican Republic ie a citizen or a resident are not the same and are recognized in the US although they do take longer than divorcios al vapor.

Out of curiosity......

What state or states do not recognize mutual consent divorce when the divorce has been properly terminated in the DR and neither party has ties to the country.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Out of curiosity......

What state or states do not recognize mutual consent divorce when the divorce has been properly terminated in the DR and neither party has ties to the country.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

No idea I am not American. But I know, as I deal with lots of divorces, that not recognised in the UK, nor Canada but no idea which US states,

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
That is not true for Canada or the UK. In the UK you can no longer register a foreign marriage, if it is legal in the DR it is legal in the UK and according to the US State Department, the need to register the marriage in the US depends on the state.

....I am from Minnesota. USA.... the marriage papers need to be taken to the courthouse in that city where you lived and recorded...that small town where I lived ,is about 14K people and I was told no one had done this before...and when I talked to the Mayor he assured me they had no way of doing this..I then when to the state capital , St Paul, with the same results....that was about 4 years ago, at that time I was told by the Dominican Judge that married us, people at the civil registry, and our wedding planner to record it at your home town court house... So I guess I am the first person from Stillwater MN. to marry a Dominican? I still wonder about this.........maybe not legal Doc.............