COUNT DOWN TO MOVE TO DOM REP 2019

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Hi . I m sure this has probably been discussed but wondered if someone might take the time to just give me a bare -bones answer on how I go about getting the visa in my passport here in the USA before I go to the DR to start the process of becoming a resident. Will I need a lawyer here in new York just to get the visa at the Dominican embassy in new York? I ve read stories of bad attitude and frustration here in the USA at the embassy. They seem to ask for a fair few items- is there someone here I can call - and even pay - to get this done so I can move to Sosua in maybe November next year and do what I need to do there? And I assume I ll need a lawyer in the DR to do the second half of the process..but the prices I ve been quoted are ridiculous.. Is it really so expensive ? I ll be retiring as a pensioner.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Call the Embassy closest to you and ask them what you need and what they want you to do. Since you'll be dealing with them, best to get your answers directly from the source.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
When you say the prices you have been quoted are ridiculous, how much are they? For a proper lawyer who is honest and trustworthy, you will pay between $100 and $250 an hour in Dom Rep these days, at least that's what they charge in the capital. Guzman-Ariza is the go-to firm for most newbies, they are honest and reliable, and last time I heard they will charge you a few thousand dollars to get your residency.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Hi . I m sure this has probably been discussed but wondered if someone might take the time to just give me a bare -bones answer on how I go about getting the visa in my passport here in the USA before I go to the DR to start the process of becoming a resident. Will I need a lawyer here in new York just to get the visa at the Dominican embassy in new York? I ve read stories of bad attitude and frustration here in the USA at the embassy. They seem to ask for a fair few items- is there someone here I can call - and even pay - to get this done so I can move to Sosua in maybe November next year and do what I need to do there? And I assume I ll need a lawyer in the DR to do the second half of the process..but the prices I ve been quoted are ridiculous.. Is it really so expensive ? I ll be retiring as a pensioner.

If you desire the services of a top tier law firm with English speaking lawyers, then I most highly suggest Guzman Ariza. As with law firms generally, you will pay more for the high quality firms; however, you are buying assistance for those rare instances when things do not go as anticipated.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
i thought about that ...but I can only stay 30 days I understand.....?
Very many people stay for longer than 30 days and just pay a "fine" at the airport for overstaying when they leave. You can certainly do that for a few months. They keep saying it will change, but it hasn't happened yet. However, your airline may insist that you have a return ticket, so if they do you should buy a ticket with a return part that can be cancelled. While you are here you can visit a lawyer, such as Guzman Arriza (offices in Sosua, amongst other places), who will give you further advice.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are a lot of if(s) involved with overstaying and a few additional ones if planning to apply for residency.

You must be in the country legally to apply for residency. The residency visa in your passport gives you some wiggle room to get your paperwork submitted if that ends up taking longer than 30 days. You may not apply for residency without a residency visa in your passport - entry by way of a tourist card is not permitted.

You have to submit copies of every page in your passport as part of your application. DGM uses this to see what your entry/exit history for the DR is like. The somewhat newly upgraded computer based immigration systems at the airports gives the authorities another means to scrutinize applicant comings and goings. It is possible that questions could be asked if there is a pattern of overstaying - it's one of those maybe or maybe not situations. Certainly an issue for your DR lawyer to tackle should it arise.

Those contemplating applying for residency in the DR should begin to take steps early on to ease the application process.

1) If so inclined, stop overstaying as soon as you can so that there are no recent immigration violations to provoke DGM.

2) If you are inclined to partake of herbal medicines specially but not limited to Mary Jane, weed yourself off so you can pass a drug test here. Those who ingest lots of medicine might even consider springing for a private test at home to ensure they get the results they need to obtain here.

3) Keep your nose clean until your application is approved and your residency card is in your hand. This could take up to a year.

4) Keep copies of all documents submitted and all documents/receipts given to you forever. Your lawyer will probably insist on keeping them for their files, but they can have copies, you should retain the originals if possible, copies with legible Govt stamps, if not.

Last edited: