counting down to move to Sosua/ Puerto Plata 2019 November

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
just wondered if anyone can give me a decent idea of what I d be looking at paying for a one bedroom apartment in Sosua or Puerto Plata/Charimicos...doesnt have to be on the beach - but close would be nice . Doesnt have to be in the ex pat section.. I d be ok amongst Dominicans. And a second question is health insurance.. Although I m planning to get the residency permit around November December next year, I worry about health coverage meantime after I leave my job in New York. I will be retiring in November 2019 so I will be a pensioner. Am I able to get health insurance there even as a non-resident? I m anticipating $2200 a month .. that should be ok for a regular life I hope ?

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Prices vary widely based on all the normal factors and options. But 3 examples.

I have a friend who “lives as a Dominican” in a 1 Bedroom apartment in Sosua. Rent is 5,000 pesos a month.
I have another friend who also “lives like a Dominican” in a 2 bedroom apartment in Puerto Plata. She pays 8,000 pesos a month.
Note: both of the above apartments have no back up power (generators or inverter). They are not in a gated complex and have no security guards. No air conditioning. Internet, Cable TV, electric and water are extra.

And I have another friend who “lives like an expat” in a gated complex in Sosua. 1BR w a/c. Cable TV, Internet and water included. Plus it has a swimming pool and security guards. $700 US/month. Electric is metered and billed monthly.

As to health insurance, make sure you research it well before you come here and cancel your US insurance. I remember reading (here I think?) that you are not eligible to obtain commercial health insurance here in the DR if you are over age 60.
(Not sure if that’s true? My US based health insurance covers me here).

Good luck with your move.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
just wondered if anyone can give me a decent idea of what I d be looking at paying for a one bedroom apartment in Sosua or Puerto Plata/Charimicos...doesnt have to be on the beach - but close would be nice . Doesnt have to be in the ex pat section.. I d be ok amongst Dominicans. And a second question is health insurance.. Although I m planning to get the residency permit around November December next year, I worry about health coverage meantime after I leave my job in New York. I will be retiring in November 2019 so I will be a pensioner. Am I able to get health insurance there even as a non-resident? I m anticipating $2200 a month .. that should be ok for a regular life I hope ?

I do not live on the North Coast, but apartment prices vary greatly depending upon what you need or desire. For example, I have a Dominican acquaintance who owns a three bedroom apartment in a Santo Domingo Este barrio. It is very basic, i.e., no hot water, no A/C, no back-up generator. The electricity is out most of the time. I doubt that you would want this as a North American; however, you could buy one of these for less than USD $30K. No thank you.

Ex-pats live everywhere; however, I never met one who lives as my Dominican acquaintance does. You can try online listings, including the one on DR1. Also, you may desire to consider Costambar on the North Coast. It is NOT in Sosua, but it has the beach. The travel time approaches 40 minutes from Sosua via two guaguas. I cannot speak to health insurance.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
While living in Charamicos in 2013-2014 I paid 4,500 which included 24/hr
running water with medium sized refrigerator on the second floor of the
building, 3 blocks from the entrance to the beach behind the Caribe Express office.

American friend of mine recently purchased local health insurance
coverage from Humano but I'm not sure about the rates.
https://www.humano.com.do/Paginas/default.aspx

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I m very familiar with Charimicos and spend much of my time there. I don t need a swimming pool and 24 hour gated community service. Just steady electricity and water to shower. thsnks so much for your response. Helps a lot .. Ill check out humano,com

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife and I pay just over 8000 pesos a month for Palic prestige medical insurance. If you open a bank acct in BHD Leon they will help you with the medical insurance as well. Our teachers are on Humana. Most medical clinics take either as well as any of the other major insurers.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar

I live in Costambar, a small semi-gated community near Puerto Plata, on $1,611 a month and manage to save $300 a month despite spending $300 or more a month on medicine. I have health insurance here for which I pay $30 a month but it doesn't have prescription coverage. It's much easier to get insurance here if you are younger than 65. I own my condo but I pay $360 a month in condo fees...You would be just fine on $2200 a month! :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Recently posted on Facebook are claims that ARS Palic will take on new clients for medical insurance up to the age of 68. I have not personally verified this, but someone looking for insurance could do that easily. Most, and I thought it was all insurance companies, won't accept people after 65.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
IT might depend on who. My sister in law started working at the Suprema corte de justicia and got an insurance for my father in law age 69, for free.

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018
Following along, moving to POP area in 6 month. Live in Barrio San Pedro in SFM now. Looking for all the advice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The average price for a decent 1 bedroom apartment in Sosua is $550/month for 6 months or longer. Most will have a swimming pool and a night watchman. Electricity will run around $20/month if you don't use the a/c. Charamicos is a different world all together. I know people who pay $200/month, but you probably won't want to leave your house at night. It's not the safest area.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
but you probably won't want to leave your house at night. It's not the safest area.

Laughable. Much safer than El Batey.
Tigures live in Charamicos, Abajo and Maranatha.
When they need to "make a quick buck" they do it in El Batey
and the more affluent neighborhoods around Sosua.
Questions:
How many gringos have been robbed and killed in El Batey
in the last 5 years? How many gringos have been robbed
and killed in Charamicos in the last 5 years?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
How many gringos live in Charamicos vs El Batey?

I think it is probably safe to say that there are no affluent gringos living in downtown Los Charmicos.

Suppose it depends on what you consider the definition of affluent to be. I am also convinced that those who are indeed affluent or see themselves as being possibly mistaken for affluent, don't choose to live there. Sure, if you don't park a Range Rover in front of the apartment, have an 80 inch TV and are not seen carrying stuff in after a run to Price Club it's possible to live in Charamicos but then again affluent people wouldn't want to in the first place so they don't. That would be a risk that affluent people in the know could remove from the safety equation and certainly would.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
that s great Bob. I remeber you well from previous posts of mine..... I actually do already have an account with BHD,, I ll be in Sosua in a week if your around for some free beers on me ..MIke

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
thanks so much,.... being a New York Brit, I m used to extortionate pricing- anything where I dont have to count the pennies will be very welcome!

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
550 isn t bad but somewhere between 200 and 550 would be better.. I ve been to Charimicos many times. I go to Luis Colmado every time and have some old friends there but yes I know it can be dodgy, even my Dominican friends tell me so. I d certainly pay more to be safe and not have my Dominican dream torn from my arms

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Laughable. Much safer than El Batey.
Tigures live in Charamicos, Abajo and Maranatha.
When they need to "make a quick buck" they do it in El Batey
and the more affluent neighborhoods around Sosua.
Questions:
How many gringos have been robbed and killed in El Batey
in the last 5 years? How many gringos have been robbed
and killed in Charamicos in the last 5 years?

I can count on one hand the gringos that I know in Charamicos, so of course the percentage will be higher in El Batey. My comment wasn't on murders now was it??? It was on general safety as per the OP's question. I let you walk in La pierda at night and let me know how that goes.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I go to Luis Colmado every time and have some old friends there but yes I know it can be dodgy, even my Dominican friends tell me so.

If you know Colmado Luis then no doubt you know Ohio.
His son built some apartments on top of their house a few
years ago. I'd go see him when you get into town, surely
he can help you find a decent quiet place, which there are
plenty of in and around Charamicos.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I can count on one hand the gringos that I know in Charamicos, so of course the percentage will be higher in El Batey..... I let you walk in La pierda at night and let me know how that goes.

Well there are a lot of people who live in Charamicos aside from gringos. I was up there two weeks
ago and plenty of kids in the street with doors wide open well after 10:00pm. Been to La Pierda several
times at night, never had any issues.