Vehicular Preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
So, curious to know what expat residents drive in the DR. I don't want to know which specific vehicle is best, rather what type of vehicle would you recommend (small suv, large suv, pickup, etc). We will need to import a vehicle and we have narrowed our choice to a RAV4 or a 4Runner. I do not like large vehicles, so much prefer the RAV4; however, everything we have driven in the DR has been a larger SUV or pickup, and they do have their advantages, just don't know if they are necessary. We will be living in Las Terrenas, and our property is at higher elevation, thus driving up a hill that is relatively well surfaced.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
A SUV is convenient, Toyota is very well known here and might not be everybody's cup of tea, but is a save choice.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In the US.. I have the Grand Cherokee.... my wife the Cherokee

Here- small or full sized - go SUV .. height, durability...many things

I need cargo - so I am full sized.... dogs, airport pickups.

The Honda, Toyota, Kia , there are a bunch...Qashqai....

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Buy an Abrams
aca55b37bbffd1deb8460eff1b0e5e1c.jpg

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have a 2007 hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.3 six. It is not very good for gas mileage but it is great on rough roads and has plenty of power for hill climbing. Lots of storage space and I have had no mechanical issues in 6 years.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
I have a 2007 hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.3 six. It is not very good for gas mileage but it is great on rough roads and has plenty of power for hill climbing. Lots of storage space and I have had no mechanical issues in 6 years.

The Hyundai is in consideration. I thinks that is what I am concerned about the most - reliability, durability, and whether it can handle the various road surfaces. The new Rav4 is supposedly more "rugged" with a better all wheel drive system then before.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Hyundai is in consideration. I thinks that is what I am concerned about the most - reliability, durability, and whether it can handle the various road surfaces. The new Rav4 is supposedly more "rugged" with a better all wheel drive system then before.

what you really need to consider is whether or not you can get replacement parts, easily. you don't need to have your car laid up for weeks for a water pump..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I bought a new Rav 4 here in 2000. I sold it about 10 years ago and the guy that bought it still drives it. You can't kill Japanese cars. Nissan is great also. And you will have no problems with any repairs or parts with those cars. But get a 4 wheel drive if you are thinking of exploring this beautiful Country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have sahara unlimited and cx5. both are pretty decent for what they are: sahara is very durable and unbeatable in heavy rains or in post hurricane mess; cx5 is economical and comfy.

off all the vehicles we had in DR so far - quite a few - we both liked highlander the most. it was very comfortable, not bad in terms of mileage, third row seating, lots of boot space, good resale value.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I like the Qashqui... have a look

A bit smaller than the US Rogue model....
very popular in Jolly Olde

I am driving a Qashqai now. Bought it new fully loaded. Great car. Handles better than Toyota. And the right size for this Country.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I had a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe when I lived there. American model (which I wouldn’t necessarily recommend since there are some parts less available than for the Korean model. Great (city) vehicle though. Not so much off road. I drove it once to Valle Nuevo and could bring it for maintenance right away.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Had a Tucson for 4 years. Now a Grand Cherokee and a LR Discovery from 2000 (almost a tank :D).

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The comment about not being a US car is valid

Get the export model... one built for another country other than 1st world

They are different... less tricks/gimmicks.... less problems...IMO

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am driving a Qashqai now. Bought it new fully loaded. Great car. Handles better than Toyota. And the right size for this Country.

no such thing as a crappy Nissan. they are all very solid cars, and very well suited for the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.