Changing Lives, Need Help

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018
I am an American/British Citizen with US residency newly married to a Greek/Dominican citizen with Dominican residency (dizzy, yet?). I've been living in San Francisco de Macorís for 3 months. I'm headed back to the States next week to make as much money as I can in 6 months and come back and get my residency in the DR. When we come back we are thinking of moving to the Puerto Plata area, and hopefully start a BnB. What are the cheaper areas to rent in Puerto Plata? I live in a barrio in SFM, so I'm not really concerned about a lot of amenities. I'd prefer 24/7 power, tho.

Are there a lot of English speaking expats?

Is there no where on this island that sells milk that isn't super gross?

I have questions, and they're really all over the map.

Ayuda me. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Still not like US milk though, huh?

What if I tell you I like it better than any US milk. But that is just me. Never goes sour. You buy it room temperature and put it in the Fridge later.

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018
What if I tell you I like it better than any US milk. But that is just me. Never goes sour. You buy it room temperature and put it in the Fridge later.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I appreciate it! I'll give it a try.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
Supermercado Bravo sells non-irradiated milk....it even requires refrigeration :)

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Buy a gallon or 2 off a local dairy farmer, he will get more pesos than selling it to the cooperativa, you will get great milk.
And you can make cream and then butter out of it. :) :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are a couple of dairy places on Duarte Hwy in Bonao. Our favorite is Turay. We buy several of their half gallons of milk, just like home, and freeze them.

Great queso en hoja and yogurt there too.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
What are the cheaper areas to rent in Puerto Plata? I live in a barrio in SFM, so I'm not really concerned about a lot of amenities. I'd prefer 24/7 power, tho.

The "cheaper" areas in this country do not have 24/7 power. You may desire to provide more information here.

Are there a lot of English speaking expats?

Is there no where on this island that sells milk that isn't super gross?

You will find more than enough expats on the North Coast. As for the milk, I prefer the milk here to the U.S. The latter tends to have less cream, and tastes like water unless you buy it from a farmer. The lactose-free, 2% milk here tastes better than the whole milk in the U.S.

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018
The "cheaper" areas in this country do not have 24/7 power. You may desire to provide more information here

Apologies, then I mean cheaper but still with 24/7 power. They'll have 24/7 power in barrio San Pedro here in SFM by January, so I'm certain cheaper with 24/7 power isn't an impossibility :)

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018
There are a couple of dairy places on Duarte Hwy in Bonao. Our favorite is Turay. We buy several of their half gallons of milk, just like home, and freeze them.

Great queso en hoja and yogurt there too.
Thank you so much!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I should have asked the milk question when I lived there, the only grocery item that I really missed was milk (and maybe actual cheddar cheese and bacon at a reasonable quality and price). I can't stand the irradiated milk in the DR and grew up on fresh cow's milk. And I was within walking distance of the Bravo on Churchill, but shopped at the La Sirena. Now I know better if I ever return to SD. Best of luck to you OP!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Apologies, then I mean cheaper but still with 24/7 power. They'll have 24/7 power in barrio San Pedro here in SFM by January, so I'm certain cheaper with 24/7 power isn't an impossibility :)

Don't believe you will get 24 hr. electricity in San Pedro. In the DR a lot of talk and no action. Won't happen.

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018
Okay, that's obviously going to be a thing now.

I'll reword the question I guess.

What are areas that, for having 24/7 power, one might go, "hey, that's not entirely expensive, in fact, that's a good deal!”

[emoji849]

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Okay, that's obviously going to be a thing now.

I'll reword the question I guess.

What are areas that, for having 24/7 power, one might go, "hey, that's not entirely expensive, in fact, that's a good deal!”

[emoji849]

I think you need to ask around for the electricity.

I live basically not too far off from the middle of nowhere, and for the last 2 years we have had 24h electricity, with edenorte. More or less 2 scheduled cut offs for maintainance a month ( only a couple of hours ).
Before all the new poles and wires and whatnot, we were lucky to get 6-8 hours of luz per day....... so things are changing !!!

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018
I think you need to ask around for the electricity.

I live basically not too far off from the middle of nowhere, and for the last 2 years we have had 24h electricity, with edenorte. More or less 2 scheduled cut offs for maintainance a month ( only a couple of hours ).
Before all the new poles and wires and whatnot, we were lucky to get 6-8 hours of luz per day....... so things are changing !!!
Yea, and you know even 24/7 I can be flexible on. We have Edenorte here in San Pedro, and an inverter, and to be honest I'm sort of used to the power "schedule" here now.

For some reason those things weren't the biggest culture shock for me. I am a fan of bucket showers, am a master gravity toilet flusher... None of that bothers me. Super shook by the milk here tho [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Yea, and you know even 24/7 I can be flexible on. We have Edenorte here in San Pedro, and an inverter, and to be honest I'm sort of used to the power "schedule" here now.

For some reason those things weren't the biggest culture shock for me. I am a fan of bucket showers, am a master gravity toilet flusher... None of that bothers me. Super shook by the milk here tho [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

For real, try it fresh from the cow. Cheaper and much nicer.
And then you have the option of pasturizing ( big word to say, boil it ), or not.
I am a fan of double cream, which is basically the thickest part of the cream made of non-pasturized mik.