Thread: Gracia Navidena

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gracia Navidena

Each year, the government allows Dominicans who live abroad to bring in gifts through the airports, duty free.

For years it was $3000, but last year it was lowered to $1,500.

They’re trying to amend the law to bring it back to $3000

https://listindiario.com/la-republic...e-3000-dolares

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

...for years I flew from JFK.to Santiago...almost all on plane were Dominican, they carried all the luggage the airline would allow, all full of things for family&friends...never did customs bother anyone,and that is all year.....my first time on that flight I filled out my customs form and listed everything and the value....the customs guy never looked at my form and said welcome to the DR and keep going..........Doc.............

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USA DOC View Post
    ...for years I flew from JFK.to Santiago...almost all on plane were Dominican, they carried all the luggage the airline would allow, all full of things for family&friends...never did customs bother anyone,and that is all year.....my first time on that flight I filled out my customs form and listed everything and the value....the customs guy never looked at my form and said welcome to the DR and keep going..........Doc.............
    It wasn’t always like that. In the 70s and 80s they lined everyone up and opened almost every suitcase, and went through them. Those guys were the corrupt cops of today, you shook their hand with money folded inside your palm, or they’d keep you there forever and make such a mess it would be difficult to repack. Then they started profiling, and left the tourists alone, but the poor Dominicans went through hell. Even now I’m always the person who hands in the custom paper with a greeting in English. Nowadays, it’s rare to see anyone with their luggage searched

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

4. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember those days, hiding folded money in the palm of your hand to give to customs. Remember it even in the early 90's. Opened up your suitcase and started to check through it, once you "shook" hands they would close the suitcase and you would be on your way.

6. Likes AlterEgo liked this post