Elder care in the Dominican Republic

white light

Sep 25, 2006
I have lived in the Dominican Republic Puerto Plata for 15 years and I’m an elderly female who is bedridden and I would like to know if anybody knows about living in a care facility or senior assisted living. I no longer can take care of myself or afford an apartment and caregivers. I would appreciate learning about everything you offer.
Sincerely,
White Light

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
White light---
Please , your email is strange. How can you live here for 15 years and not be aware of services available/not available in this country? If you can't afford an apartment and someone to care for you in that apartment,-how would you pay for assisted living if such a thing even existed here which it doesn't.
This country is full of great senior caregivers, all Dominican seniors are cared for by their families. The cost of hiring such a caregiver is a small, small fraction of what you would pay for assisted living or a care facility should one exist here.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
This is from a post by Abulea from 2012:

There is one in Puerto Plata tel: 809 586 2991. It is on the main road heading towards Santiago. They are known as asilos.

The full address and list of all other old people homes is here:

Asilos > Todas las ciudades > Rep�blica Dominicana (RD) > PaginasAmarillas.com.do > > Paginas Amarillas de Rep�blica Dominicana, RD, Asilos P�gina 1

matilda

white light

Sep 25, 2006
You do not understand what it’s like to be bedridden and crippled. I do not interact with people and I don’t know hardly anyone. The only people I know are my caregivers and I feel they only tell me what benefits them.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
You do not understand what it’s like to be bedridden and crippled. I do not interact with people and I don’t know hardly anyone. The only people I know are my caregivers and I feel they only tell me what benefits them.

This is of course unfortunate, but my tip in this case would be, just as you now started this thread on this forum, to focus on virtual communication within the expat community (and elsewhere of course) and finding out things. I have no trouble believing that these caregivers might make recommendations based on what's beneficial for them, but I'd say that whatever you communicate electronically/virtually with others, they cannot come inbetween, so you could have a wealth of different/correct information/tips/knowledge just at your fingertips. So even if leaving your home is difficult, you could definitely be communicating with many people to see how to do things.

If you'd like to search anything within this same forum, just go to Google and type in "site:dr1.com [your search topic]", that search usually works out better than the site internal search, based on what I've seen.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Have you considered going back to your country of origin?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
We could provide good care here in our villa in the mountains 40 mins from puerto plata
I treid to pm you.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm sorry to hear of your declining health but congratulate you on your recognition of the need for a change. The simple fact is that this country does not offer a formal or standardized means of caring for the elderly and the infirm. Those without sufficient financial resources and family or friends to aid in their care will not find this country particularly helpful.

Those in need of help need to be able to fund and manage their own care for the most part. If you are not happy with those you currently employ, then you need to find others. A few care homes do exist and I have seen the one already mentioned in this thread when driving by but know very little about their costs and the level of care they can provide.

If you have family at home, contacting them at least to advise them of the situation and solicit their response might be in order. If that is not feasible, one needs to at least consider the option of getting on a plane and parachuting into the healthcare system/social safety net back home while that is still an option.

As we all walk towards the valley of shadow any one of us may have to decide to up and leave everything as it is and quickly get ourselves to a place where others are mandated to help. The help available varies with the country and general location, but by default it should be better than what is on offer in this country for those with limited means to support their own hospice.

Peace and comfort be with you white light. The apparent reality of your present predicament, makes me sad.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
There is one in Puerto Plata tel: 809 586 2991. It is on the main road heading towards Santiago.

this is the place, hogar de ancianos:
https://www.1411.com.do/otras-categ...e-la-caridad-hogar-de-ancianos-s-a-27569.html

this is sort of part government run and part privately sponsored place with nuns in charge. i do not know one can become a resident. they are usually really poor people who do not have family left. but they may help with private arrangements, who knows. worth giving them a call.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
John’s Recovery House is not an appropriate place to recommend for an elderly, infirmed person.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Growing old and infirm alone in the DR is a tough situation to be in, especially as a foreigner.

Because of the family connections and cost, families take care of their elders. So, unlike the states (or Europe) there are very few group homes, ACLF's or nursing homes here.

I do know of one in Jarabacoa that was founded by the former owner of Cemento Cibao and run by nuns. It's a nice facility by Dominican standards, but always has a waiting list. That's not to say the management wouldn't show some compassion for special situations. It's called Centro Geriatrico Margarita Herrera, and their listed phone number is 809-574-7220. It is just outside Jarabacoa on the road to Manabao.

If necessary, I would not hesitate to put Mom CB in the facility. The staff is exceptionally nice. In fact, she toured it and said she'd be most happy there. Most rooms are shared and are spacious. Many have a porch or balcony.

The cost is variable, depending on ability to pay. Just be aware there is always a waiting list.

AF1QipMGqZf4noE1Qw3S3gdGILhwdQrkAyfpGxJRaiwZ=s1600-w400

Good luck!