Ladies Only! Question about traditional remedies for cold/cough

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
My dominican husband remembers his mother making a treatment for cough/cold when he was a kid - made with onions and honey and he's not sure what else. He would then eat it with a spoon. His mother has dementia so we can't find out that way. Anyone have any ideas?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I have some in my fridge as I type this. My mother in law makes it from honey, red onion, and garlic. I'd estimate that there is about a quarter onion, 3-4 garlic cloves, and 1/4 cup of honey. I asked because I like home remedies but it smells like concentrated garlic to me and I'm not sure I could stomach it. She said that you can add more of any of the ingredients and it doesn't go bad.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Oh I know that concoction too well. I was sick this past February, and the maid prepared it and brought it to me with a spoon. Utterly revolting, but it did help.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Radishes and watercress, onion and honey- there is even a commercial version
61Un9xqmM5L._SY450_.jpg

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Whew, thanks AlterEgo...I actually made this this afternoon and didn't have regular onions so used the shallots! Perfect coincidence :)

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I am thinking my mother in law improvised when she made it here, and she only recognized red onions in the grocery store. And I also remember her telling me to add radishes. The garlic was possibly an improvisation too, or her own personal touch to the remedy.

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Just a quick update! Hubs is now sleeping soundly after being thoroughly impressed that I was able to make the syrup “just like my mother”. That compliment is rare indeed. AND he’s actually not coughing - after keeping me awake for a week! It may smell and taste disgusting but it seems to be working! Appreciate all the help!