Drivers License Renewal Record

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
This morning my wife and I drove to Higuey to renew our DR drivers license's. We may have set a new record for speed and efficieny. For both of us, with really bad Spanish and a credit card malfunction we where in and out in 13 minutes with both new 4 year cards in hand.
We where very impressed.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
This morning my wife and I drove to Higuey to renew our DR drivers license's. We may have set a new record for speed and efficieny. For both of us, with really bad Spanish and a credit card malfunction we where in and out in 13 minutes with both new 4 year cards in hand.
We where very impressed.

You used a credit card? Did you check your acct. at 15 minutes?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Yes. We get updates from our CDN bank on every transaction. It was seamless except for my credit card malfunction.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
I find IT the most seamless governmental renewal requirement in the country, even in Nagua in a dingy dark office on a back street you're in & out in 15 minutes max.. And they do it with a smile! Second most seamless?, handgun permit renewal in the Capital once you have all the required papers/taxes/anti-doping in order.. (the DGM could/should take lessons from either or both departments)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You are supposed to redo the eye test at renewal, but I have heard stories of people having to do it and some who did not. It may depend on what office you go to.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Do you have to do anything to renew, such an eye-sight test?

Once you pay and surrender your old licence you go to the eye exam guy. My wife forgot her glasses so he gave her an automatic pass. I had my glasses on so he gave me a pass too.
All of this is in the same office. And it cost us each 890 pesos for everything. You can pre pay at Ban Reserves or pay by CC at the office.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How about this ???
Looky looky

Renew your drivers license abroad
Foreign Minister Miguel Vargas and director of the National Institute of Transit and Ground Transport (Intrant) Claudia Franchesca de los Santos signed an agreement on 20 November 2018 to allow the renewal of Dominican drivers’ licenses at Dominican consulates around the world. Deputy Minister for Consular and Migratory Affairs Marjorie Espinosa was present for the signing.

There are an estimated two million Dominican expatriates. In a first phase, the program will benefit residents in New York and Miami in the USA, Madrid, Spain and Rome, Italy.

"Through our collaboration with the Intrant, procedures that previously involved high travel expenses and time, will be replaced by processes over the digital platform," said Foreign Minister Vargas.

De los Santos announced major changes are underway for the driver’s license system in order to impact road safety in the country.

http://www.mirex.gob.do/medios/notic...os-dominicanos

Would appear MIA and NYC will do this initially

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I am looking for confirmation that I DO NOT need certificado de buena conducto for renewal of DL.

Thanks in advance.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am looking for confirmation that I DO NOT need certificado de buena conducto for renewal of DL.

Thanks in advance.

You do not. Just need to pay at BanReservas the fee, your old license, and your Cedula.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I renewed mine a month ago. I got there twenty minutes before closing time and the process was quick. I checked in and they sent me to the Banreservas to pay the tax. When I got back they lady who was giving the eye exam had left. I zipped right through; friendly, professional people. Times have changed.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I renewed mine a month ago. I got there twenty minutes before closing time and the process was quick. I checked in and they sent me to the Banreservas to pay the tax. When I got back they lady who was giving the eye exam had left. I zipped right through; friendly, professional people. Times have changed.

I ve got the banreservas allready....... no queues in the campo.
For info, the taxes come in 2 sheets : 1 of 150 pesos amd another of 740.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
This is only marginally relevant to renewing my DR driving license. I'm not driving anymore but I still have my Dominican license good for two or three more years. When it is ready to expire, I was not planning to renew it. But now, I wonder, is there any reason to do it? Maybe need two IDs for something? Cedula and Driving License? I don't drive because I have Parkinson's and it was just a matter of time till something malfunctioned at the wrong time and I would have an accident. Not worth the risk. But it is useful to have a license for any other reason I could renew... anyone know?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've never been asked for my dl here. If a cedula isn't good enough, it's always the passport they want to see. The issue is that once you give up your dl, it's gone. A dl is much more useful as ID back home and with a dl from here, you won't have to start from scratch if you ever need a dl from home at some point.

Recognizing when it's time to stop driving is commendable. Lots are unable to come to that conclusion on their own.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
This is only marginally relevant to renewing my DR driving license. I'm not driving anymore but I still have my Dominican license good for two or three more years. When it is ready to expire, I was not planning to renew it. But now, I wonder, is there any reason to do it? Maybe need two IDs for something? Cedula and Driving License? I don't drive because I have Parkinson's and it was just a matter of time till something malfunctioned at the wrong time and I would have an accident. Not worth the risk. But it is useful to have a license for any other reason I could renew... anyone know?

Well, when going to pick up larg-ish amounts of money ( 3k last time ), they now ask for 2 IDs, and if like me you dont lump your passport around with you, DL can come in handy........ thats about the only thing i can think of ;)

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
It cannot hurt to have two forms of government ID. I had a relative who obtained a driver's license, and never drove after passing the test. However, it was good ID and she renewed it until death.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Renewed DL today at POP.
In and out in 10mn....... good to go untill 2023 :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Anyone know how early you can renew it. My wife's renewal is in May and mine in December. Want to renew them both at the same time, in May.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
from what I have found is renew at any time know one person that renewed a year early. I renewed about 3 mo, early due to a trip I was making an wanted to be sure did not expire while using it.