Not In My Town: Mayor of Santiago...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Santiago.- Mayor Abel Martínez reiterated his decision not to allow the placement of (political) propaganda of any kind in the recovered areas of the city that represent the cultural heritage of the municipality of Santiago.

The artist works that have contributed to the beautification of the city of Santiago will be preserved and he (the mayor) will not allow any company or political parties to place signs in prohibited areas.

FULL ARTICLE BELOW:
http://www.lainformacion.com.do/noticias/ciudad/118738/abel-martinez-insiste-no-permitira-propaganda

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Excellent!

Santiago has done an amazing turn-around in the last few years. I hope the trend continues.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Santiago.- Mayor Abel Martínez reiterated his decision not to allow the placement of (political) propaganda of any kind in the recovered areas of the city that represent the cultural heritage of the municipality of Santiago.

The artist works that have contributed to the beautification of the city of Santiago will be preserved and he (the mayor) will not allow any company or political parties to place signs in prohibited areas.

FULL ARTICLE BELOW:
http://www.lainformacion.com.do/noticias/ciudad/118738/abel-martinez-insiste-no-permitira-propaganda

Great news!
Imagine a life size billboard of Hipolito Mejia....better not :eek:gre:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
What a great idea. Finally some with with a backbone. Hopefully the loud speaker trucks will be banned next.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Santiago used to be the most clean city of the DR back in the days.
The mayor have been doing a good job.

JJ

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
As a Santiaguero who lives in the city, I think Abel is doing a fantastic job. Even those old folks who lived when Santiago had the reputation of being the cleanest city in DR say that right now is cleaner and better organized then back in the day. Besides, unlike other politicians who make 20 promises to fulfill one and a half Abel takes the approach of actually finishing whatever project his working on and then promote it, etc. Santiago most be the cleanest and most organized city in the island while San Jose de las Matas aka Sajoma has to be the cleanest and most organized small town in the whole island.

However, I fear that once someone else become mayor, they will reverse all this progress and the city will regress to dirtiness and a state of chaos. It might be a pipe dream, but maybe this administration will set a precedent that future mayors will follow in order to win the votes of Santiagueros.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Abel wants to be Vice President. Running with Leonel.

Quite a feat for the guy who grew up in barrios and is reputed to be the leader of a group of "unruly" people in Cienfuegos.

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Abel wants to be Vice President. Running with Leonel.

Quite a feat for the guy who grew up in barrios and is reputed to be the leader of a group of "unruly" people in Cienfuegos.

HB

i don't think abel grew up in barrios. He was born in a campo (moncion) and lived most of his life in santiago (near gurabo). He is the youngest of 15 brothers and sisters. His dad had money back in the old days and lived comfortably even in campo (relatively speaking). Abel was a professor in UTESA university and so his is brother at the moment.
Abel supports the people of barrios and speaks for them. He even had his political head quarter in barrio to be in touch with the people. this is how he got the votes and won.
he will continue to make santiago the best city in DR. His mom is waiting on him to become the president of this country. She is 87+ years old and she wants to see him now on the top.
On a personal note: able has changed a lot in the past few years. I remember when he was the diputado and lived a wild and crazy life. Now all of the sudden, he took a 180 degrees turn around and has become very serious towards his political career. He got married , has 2 kids with the woman and lives a very relaxed and serious life. I have yet to see him drunk or even drinking like he used to do before. He truly is focused on his political agendas and he will become the president of this country, very soon.
AZB