Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I come to the DR with a passport that expires in like 4 or 5 months?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I come to the DR with a passport that expires in like 4 or 5 months?

I have a ticket to come for a week this Xmas

My passport expires around April of 2019

I'm going to get the renewal expedited if I need a new one now since I waited too long to do a regular renewal

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought it was 6 months minimum?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m coming to Dr with my family this December and decided to not take the risk and renew the passport of my daughter that expires in March. 6 months is stated to be the minimum.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not 6 months, it's the length of your stay. That's the DR requirement. However, some airlines (Jey Boo) try to impose a 6 month thing. So if you are concerned then just renew as Mauricio did.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

by the moment you arrive to the Dominican Republic your passport must have at least 3 month of validation, most of the countries acept with 6 months. But I wont take the risk and better renew, mine will expire in april 9th and I just renew before 5 months. Now Im ready to travel.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    by the moment you arrive to the Dominican Republic your passport must have at least 3 month of validation, most of the countries acept with 6 months.
    Not true.

Quote Originally Posted by RV429 View Post
    It's not 6 months, it's the length of your stay. That's the DR requirement.
    Exactly.

Though for USA citizens US Department of State web site says - "PASSPORT VALIDITY: Must be valid at time of entry"

For British citizens gov. uk web site states -

"Passport validity :

If you’re entering as a tourist your passport must be valid up to at least the date of your proposed departure from the Dominican Republic. If you’re entering the Dominican Republic for any other purpose your passport should have at least six months’ validity."

Never guess. Look at the documents.

7. Likes Tamborista liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Much of what was written above is true, but as a practical matter things can vary from immigration officer to immigration officer. You have more than a month before your trip, I would strongly encourage you to put in for a passport renewal. That way, you can avoid any issues.

Enjoy your trip!

9. Likes keepcoming, KateP, drstock, PJT, nigrarosa and 2 others liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If they want to they can turn you around at the arrival gate and put you back on the plane, sending you back on the same plane.

It's not worth the risk, you should get it renewed.

11. Likes ExDR liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree get the renewal....I have always been told 6 months, but found that while one source says 6 months, another says the Caribbean does not enforce that rule. I decided to get the renewal just to be on the safe side. Who needs extra headaches/worries when traveling.

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always better to be safe than sorry. Why risk the money purchasing a vacation only to be turned around upon arrival? Now that passports are swiped into a computer at all airports, if the system is set to flag soon to expire passports, the expiration date will appear in red on the screen.

If you encounter a delay in departure, say you get Dengue and have to spend time in hospital because you are too sick to be allowed on your return flight, you could end up stuck here until you renew.

Don't be lazy. A new passport is not hard to get and doing so avoids any of the potential problems that could otherwise arise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast