Dates and limits for this years Christmas Duty free period?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...for years I flew from JFK.to Santiago...almost all on plane were Dominican, they carried all the luggage the airline would allow, all full of things for family&friends...never did customs bother anyone,and that is all year.....my first time on that flight I filled out my customs form and listed everything and the value....the customs guy never looked at my form and said welcome to the DR and keep going..........Doc.............

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
...for years I flew from JFK.to Santiago...almost all on plane were Dominican, they carried all the luggage the airline would allow, all full of things for family&friends...never did customs bother anyone,and that is all year.....my first time on that flight I filled out my customs form and listed everything and the value....the customs guy never looked at my form and said welcome to the DR and keep going..........Doc.............

It wasn’t always like that. In the 70s and 80s they lined everyone up and opened almost every suitcase, and went through them. Those guys were the corrupt cops of today, you shook their hand with money folded inside your palm, or they’d keep you there forever and make such a mess it would be difficult to repack. Then they started profiling, and left the tourists alone, but the poor Dominicans went through hell. Even now I’m always the person who hands in the custom paper with a greeting in English. Nowadays, it’s rare to see anyone with their luggage searched

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I remember those days, hiding folded money in the palm of your hand to give to customs. Remember it even in the early 90's. Opened up your suitcase and started to check through it, once you "shook" hands they would close the suitcase and you would be on your way.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Does anyone know this years dates and limits? I know last year they lowered it to $1500 from $3000.

Planning on flying into STI the earliest possible date. I hate those ladrone creeps at STI. I know about the 6 month rule. Also, does it apply to Dominican residents as well as Dominican Citizens?

Last years info..https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...back-holiday-tax-break-for-dominicans-abroad/

Cant seem to find the new info.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As far as I know, there’s a petition pending to raise it back to $3000. It’s only for Dominican citizens who haven’t been in the country for 6 months or more. In reality, I don’t think they stop anyone, but who knows.

It will be announced when the dates and amount are determined

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
As far as I know, there’s a petition pending to raise it back to $3000. It’s only for Dominican citizens who haven’t been in the country for 6 months or more. In reality, I don’t think they stop anyone, but who knows.

It will be announced when the dates and amount are determined
Thank you! Typical Dominican BS. People should know in advance to determine their flight dates and what they need to buy.

Has it always been December 1st start date?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thank you! Typical Dominican BS. People should know in advance to determine their flight dates and what they need to buy.

Has it always been December 1st start date?

the details of gracia navidena for 2018 have not been released yet.

according to the law (la ley 9-96) it's from the period from 1st of december to the 7th of january.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
the details of gracia navidena for 2018 have not been released yet.

according to the law (la ley 9-96) it's from the period from 1st of december to the 7th of january.
Thanks. I never knew the dates were set by law.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thanks. I never knew the dates were set by law.

Ley No. 9-96, que libera de todo tipo de impuestos de importación los regalos que traigan al país los residentes en el extranjero a familiares y amigos que nos visiten para las fiestas de navidad y año nuevo.

EL CONGRESO NACIONAL
En Nombre de la República Ley No.9-96

CONSIDERANDO: Que el país se beneficia con los dólares que ingresan al Banco Central por conducto de los dominicanos que visitan la República en época de navidad;

CONSIDERANDO: Que esta situación no solo afecta las relaciones familiares y los valores culturales, que tanta falta les hacen a nuestros conciudadanos que residen en el extranjero, sino que también los extraña de su patria;

CONSIDERANDO: Que estos dominicanos, además, les traen obsequios a sus familiares, que contribuyen a hacer más llevaderas las fiestas navideñas;

CONSIDERANDO: Que los regalos que traen los residentes del exterior son comprados con dólares propios, con lo que contribuyen a reducir el volumen de importaciones, evitando la presión a la tasa cambiaria;

HA DADO LA SIGUIENTE LEY:

Art. 1.- Quedan liberados de todo tipo de impuestos de importación todos aquellos regalos que traigan al país a familiares y amigos de residentes en el extranjero que no hayan entrado al país en los últimos seis meses, y que nos visiten para las fiestas de navidad, en el período del día primero (1ro.) de diciembre al 7 de enero siguiente.

Art. 2.- Ninguno de estos regalos consignados en el articulo primero deberá exceder en conjunto la suma equivalente a US$1,000.00 (mil dólares de los Estados Unidos de América), en pesos dominicanos, a la tasa oficial del Banco Central de la República Dominicana.

PARRAFO. – Se exceptúan de esta ley los vehículos de motor, las armas de fuego y aquellas mercancías consideradas materia prima industrial o insumos del sector industrial o agrícola, incluyendo combustibles y sus derivados.

Art. 3.- La presente ley deroga cualquier otra ley o disposición legal que sea contraria.

DADA en la Sala de Sesiones de la Cámara de Diputados, Palacio del Congreso Nacional, en Santo Domingo de Guzmán, Distrito Nacional, Capital de la República Dominicana, a los cinco (5) días del mes de noviembre del año mil novecientos noventa y uno, año 148 de la Independencia y 129 de la Restauración.

Norge Botello, Presidente.

Nelly Perez DuvergC, Eunice J. Jimeno de Nuñez, Secretaria. Secretaria.

DADA en la Sala de Sesiones del Senado, Palacio del Congreso Nacional, en Santo Domingo de Guzmán, Distrito Nacional, Capital de la República Dominicana, a los trece (13) días del mes de noviembre del año mil novecientos noventa y uno (1991), año 148 de la Independencia y 129 de la Restauración.

José Osvaldo Leger Aquino, Presidente

Oriol Antonio Guerrero Soto Amable Aristy Castro, Secretario. – Secretario. –

LEONEL FERNANDEZ
Presidente de la República Dominicana

En ejercicio de las atribuciones que me confiere el Articulo 55 de la Constitución de la República.

PROMULGO la presente Ley y mando que sea publicada en la Gaceta Oficial, para su conocimiento y cumplimiento.

DADA en Santo Domingo de Guzmán, Distrito Nacional, Capital de la República Dominicana, a los nueve (9) días del mes de septiembre del año mil novecientos noventa y seis, año 153 de la Independencia y 134 de la Restauración.

Leonel Fernández

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004

Ley No. 9-96, que libera de todo tipo de impuestos de importación los regalos que traigan al país los residentes en el extranjero a familiares y amigos que nos visiten para las fiestas de navidad y año nuevo.

EL CONGRESO NACIONAL
En Nombre de la República Ley No.9-96

CONSIDERANDO: Que el país se beneficia con los dólares que ingresan al Banco Central por conducto de los dominicanos que visitan la República en época de navidad;

CONSIDERANDO: Que esta situación no solo afecta las relaciones familiares y los valores culturales, que tanta falta les hacen a nuestros conciudadanos que residen en el extranjero, sino que también los extraña de su patria;

CONSIDERANDO: Que estos dominicanos, además, les traen obsequios a sus familiares, que contribuyen a hacer más llevaderas las fiestas navideñas;

CONSIDERANDO: Que los regalos que traen los residentes del exterior son comprados con dólares propios, con lo que contribuyen a reducir el volumen de importaciones, evitando la presión a la tasa cambiaria;

HA DADO LA SIGUIENTE LEY:

Art. 1.- Quedan liberados de todo tipo de impuestos de importación todos aquellos regalos que traigan al país a familiares y amigos de residentes en el extranjero que no hayan entrado al país en los últimos seis meses, y que nos visiten para las fiestas de navidad, en el período del día primero (1ro.) de diciembre al 7 de enero siguiente.

Art. 2.- Ninguno de estos regalos consignados en el articulo primero deberá exceder en conjunto la suma equivalente a US$1,000.00 (mil dólares de los Estados Unidos de América), en pesos dominicanos, a la tasa oficial del Banco Central de la República Dominicana.

PARRAFO. – Se exceptúan de esta ley los vehículos de motor, las armas de fuego y aquellas mercancías consideradas materia prima industrial o insumos del sector industrial o agrícola, incluyendo combustibles y sus derivados.

Art. 3.- La presente ley deroga cualquier otra ley o disposición legal que sea contraria.

DADA en la Sala de Sesiones de la Cámara de Diputados, Palacio del Congreso Nacional, en Santo Domingo de Guzmán, Distrito Nacional, Capital de la República Dominicana, a los cinco (5) días del mes de noviembre del año mil novecientos noventa y uno, año 148 de la Independencia y 129 de la Restauración.

Norge Botello, Presidente.

Nelly Perez DuvergC, Eunice J. Jimeno de Nuñez, Secretaria. Secretaria.

DADA en la Sala de Sesiones del Senado, Palacio del Congreso Nacional, en Santo Domingo de Guzmán, Distrito Nacional, Capital de la República Dominicana, a los trece (13) días del mes de noviembre del año mil novecientos noventa y uno (1991), año 148 de la Independencia y 129 de la Restauración.

José Osvaldo Leger Aquino, Presidente

Oriol Antonio Guerrero Soto Amable Aristy Castro, Secretario. – Secretario. –

LEONEL FERNANDEZ
Presidente de la República Dominicana

En ejercicio de las atribuciones que me confiere el Articulo 55 de la Constitución de la República.

PROMULGO la presente Ley y mando que sea publicada en la Gaceta Oficial, para su conocimiento y cumplimiento.

DADA en Santo Domingo de Guzmán, Distrito Nacional, Capital de la República Dominicana, a los nueve (9) días del mes de septiembre del año mil novecientos noventa y seis, año 153 de la Independencia y 134 de la Restauración.

Leonel Fernández
Only $1000 unless otherwise changed? I thought anyone can bring $600 worth. So $1000 is not much more.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Goverment change the ammount of money, last year was 1,500.00 USD, the year before was 3,000.00 USD. They announce how much will be every year.
Its already November 15th. Maybe they can wait longer and make it retroactive. [emoji19]

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Is 1500 the amount this year?
hehehe, you know a lot Dominicans comes for christmas, so as much highter is the grace less money the can collect, so the account dropped with the 3,000.00 so thats why went down to 1,500.00

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
$3000. Dominicans only, who have been out of the country at least 6 months
Thanks. Two if us breezed right though the notorious STI last night with 8 bags total, although they did scan every bag coming in.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks. Two if us breezed right though the notorious STI last night with 8 bags total, although they did scan every bag coming in.

Eight bags, wow. For several years now we’ve flown with just carry on and one suitcase between us. No need for clothing, that stays in DR, we bring back at least 30 pounds of our favorite coffee beans each year, so we need the suitcase coming home.

Everything else goes via mundanza, this year we’re shipping 18 boxes of things being donated, three boxes for our house, and a weed whacker. No airport aduana

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
8 was four checked bags 2 overloaded carry ons and 2 overloaded personal bags. We pushed the limits. One carry on was a huge hiking backpack which itself was a gift. No clothing other than gift clothing.

PS..somehow i missed you original post about the $3000.

Every time we say "next time we travel light."
Eight bags, wow. For several years now we’ve flown with just carry on and one suitcase between us. No need for clothing, that stays in DR, we bring back at least 30 pounds of our favorite coffee beans each year, so we need the suitcase coming home.

Everything else goes via mundanza, this year we’re shipping 18 boxes of things being donated, three boxes for our house, and a weed whacker. No airport aduana