The New US Ambassador to the DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I remember before she arrived to her post that many DR1ers claimed the new US Ambassador would have a hard time getting used to the DR. I always suspected such comments were probably classism at work, considering her socioeconomic level and the fact she lives in Palm Beach, Florida (a very wealthy town) was often brought up in the discussions.

Well, she certainly seems to have taken a likeness to the DR that few probably thought possible. A week ago she was videotaped dancing, err, trying to dance Bachata. Yes, she needs to practice a little more, but its the intention that counts.

[video=youtube;Zox5iE4mLpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zox5iE4mLpE[/video]

What a difference a change of Ambassador makes!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I remember before she arrived to her post that many DR1ers claimed the new US Ambassador would have a hard time getting used to the DR. I always suspected such comments were probably classism at work, considering her socioeconomic level and the fact she lives in Palm Beach, Florida (a very wealthy town) was often brought up in the discussions.

Well, she certainly seems to have taken a likeness to the DR that few probably thought possible. A week ago she was videotaped dancing, err, trying to dance Bachata. Yes, she needs to practice a little more, but its the intention that counts.

[video=youtube;Zox5iE4mLpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zox5iE4mLpE[/video]

What a difference a change of Ambassador makes!
I'd say she has a pretty good grasp of the 1,2,3,4 step and just needs a little more hip movement and less arms and shoulders.

Sep 4, 2012
This woman is the ambassador to the DR yet she needs a translator?

Shame on the State Department - qualifications mean nothing any longer to hold a job I take.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Two people I know who met her on separate occasions had a very positive impression. Very approachable and open, and good fun.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Shame on the State Department - qualifications mean nothing any longer to hold a job I take.

She does speak some Spanish, more than the previous Ambassador, and like most Ambassadors she isn't a professional civil servant.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

She does speak some Spanish, more than the previous Ambassador, and like most Ambassadors she isn't a professional civil servant.

Just in case you didn't know there is an ongoing thread about the Ambassador.

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/173711-The-New-US-Ambassador-to-the-DR

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Rhodes Scholars of the foreign service do get get posted to and generally do not accept postings to backwater countries. Everyone has faults and it will be pretty easy to spot shortcomings in everyone selected as US Ambassador to the DR (not limited to those from the USA).

This one seems better suited to the posting than the last one, says I, a generally disinterested outside observer.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

It is not uncommon at all that an ambassador does not speak the language of the country to which they are assigned. There has never been a requirement that they do speak the host countries language, so there have never been such "qualifications".

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It is not uncommon at all that an ambassador does not speak the language of the country to which they are assigned. There has never been a requirement that they do speak the host countries language, so there have never been such "qualifications".

That may be true, but surely they could have found a diplomat who could speak such a common language. Maybe the dual qualifications of speaking Spanish and being in favour with the President are a hard combination to find.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I suppose , like most politicians, they cater to their audience.....

This encounter was on the north coast ... at Amanera.....fancy place

Interesting to hear a different report.....thanks, I. I’ll pass it on

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The Rhodes Scholars of the foreign service do get get posted to and generally do not accept postings to backwater countries. Everyone has faults and it will be pretty easy to spot shortcomings in everyone selected as US Ambassador to the DR (not limited to those from the USA).

This one seems better suited to the posting than the last one, says I, a generally disinterested outside observer.
The DR is for political appointments, aka "mega-donors."

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A VERY big donor...... is she !!!

Mega indeed
So was the last guy.

Back in The Day, I had an investor who was a mega-bundler for the GOP, and got appointed Ambassador to Australia by Bush 41, a great post! Dubya appointed him Ambassador to Italy, another plum.

He was more than just a donor. He was an incredibly brilliant man, a behind the scenes King Maker.

Sep 4, 2012

Have you ever worked at the state department?

Sep 4, 2012

A Diplomat Bob, at least that is what her position requires her to be. Now, a Diplomat that cannot speak the language of the country she is - leaves all doors open.