New to Dr1

chiro007

Nov 18, 2018
Hey Everyone! I am visiting Cabarete this week having been away for 4 years. I live in Vermont, USA and dream of at least spending the winters here in the D.R. or perhaps even living here year round. I have done numerous health care humanitarian trips to the D.R. and love the people, the climate, the food and natural beauty of this country. Who knows, perhaps I could convince my wife at least that winters in the D.R. are a lot better than shoveling snow in the Northeast.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Back home, with a relatively normal length driveway, I found shoveling the snow to be a good way to decompress after a day at the office, get a little bit of exercise and often found the activity to be quite enjoyable perhaps even cathartic. Didn't much like the big snowfalls when multiple shoveling were required or when the street plows placed a hard packed mountain at the end of the driveway but all good fun in the end.

Living here vs shoveling some snow, I think you may need a better argument than just that. Being a tourist in this country and actually living here full-time are not equivalent. There is the good and there is the not so good and there then there is the downright awful.

If you wish to ditch winter, read more. Research several locations, talk to people who live in these places, visit promising possibilities and then make a decision. It's a shock to relocate and then suddenly realize that the country you chose is not going to work out long term which happens more than you might think.

The DR has a lot going for it, but like many other locations, there are aspects to living here that do not generally present themselves until after you have set up shop. The DR works for lots of expats, but not all.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Welcome, I too am from that miserable region called the US northeast.

I have found never seeing snow or cold weather again to be a great thing.

Hope you have luck talking your wife into escaping said misery.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Welcome, I too am from that miserable region called the US northeast.

I have found never seeing snow or cold weather again to be a great thing.

Hope you have luck talking your wife into escaping said misery.

What's "snow?"