Trying to verify rumor

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I hear that US forces have taken control of International airport in Port-au-Prince.
Can anyone validate this??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I haven’t seen anything in the news, but a photo of a US Navy aircraft on the tarmac there was making the rounds on Facebook yesterday

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I contacted a couple of Haitians in the know, well-placed sources, and they both say there is nothing in chat groups about this, and will stay tuned.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Haitian press say it is not true and just a rumour. National protests were called for today which is the anniversary of the battle which ended slavery in Haiti. Protests against corruption and fuel prices and early reports say mainly quiet with one person injured.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Second confirmation the rumor is not true.

But there are protests about the $3.8 BILLION PetroCaribe scandal which surprisingly includes a person I've personally met.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A few days ago I heard a rumor regarding a coup that is suppose to be attempted against the current Prime Minister. On top of that, a few weeks ago the Prime Minister almost became the victim of an assassination attempt. Things are not looking good west of the border.

Haiti was relatively calm until the IMF got involved. After the tax hike ordered by the IMF things went downhill very fast.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
On the web there seems to be a lot of stuff about over throw of government and the US occupying the airport

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The sky is not falling

On the web there seems to be a lot of stuff about over throw of government and the US occupying the airport

There are going to be many uncertain rumors, especially when normal channels of communication are disrupted. One thing is clear, if the US was occupying the airport it would be part of a larger multinational group. It would not be web news only. It would consume all the media.

File this "stuff" as unsubstantiated rumors.

The sky is not falling.

Regards,

PJT

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There are going to be many uncertain rumors, especially when normal channels of communication are disrupted. One thing is clear, if the US was occupying the airport it would be part of a larger multinational group. It would not be web news only. It would consume all the media.

File this "stuff" as unsubstantiated rumors.

The sky is not falling.

Regards,

PJT
My contacts in Haiti still have heard nothing about any airport occupation.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
My contacts in Haiti still have heard nothing about any airport occupation.

Verify with your contacts if it's true that the chief of police was murdered recently. Have seen people floating that around on FB today and want to check out.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Stop getting your news from facebook. Longtime proven to be a large source of fake news. (Not speaking about this reported event, but in general - I have no idea if the chief of police in Haiti was killed, had a Russian cold, or ran away to a place where he could steal even more money)