Sending money to DR

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
The cheapest way I have found to send money from the US to DR will cost me 15 US dollars to send 500. That is by using the Worldremit service online. It takes about 4 biz days to transfer from one bank account to another. Anybody find a cheaper way? Time is not an issue... I know its not that expensive but always looking for a better solution. Thanks for the help.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
The cheapest way I have found to send money from the US to DR will cost me 15 US dollars to send 500. That is by using the Worldremit service online. It takes about 4 biz days to transfer from one bank account to another. Anybody find a cheaper way? Time is not an issue... I know its not that expensive but always looking for a better solution. Thanks for the help.

I do not know a less expensive route. One of my credit unions used to charge $40 per international transfer, and it would post the next business day.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Ría or any equivalent, i use víaexpress.
5 chf ( more or less 5$ ) for up to 2000 chf sent. Same day, or at worse, next day delivered to your home in the dr. Or at a drop-off point of your choice ( bank, credit institution, caribe express, etc..... sometimes even a colmado or a ferrateria ).
I have been using that system for 10+ years. You can send the money tosomeone, or if you prefer, toyourself.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
From a Western Union location, you can send almost $1000 USD for $8. Gets there within an hour.

I agree with you; however, I thought that the OP was asking about a bank-to-bank transfer. Those tend to cost some coin.

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
I use Xoom (American company owned by Paypal - all completed online) I send to myself here from my US account to Carbide Express it arrives same day (or next), pick up cash. 1000USD costs me 19USD total cost.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
I agree with the suggestion of Xoom.com, very efficient. You can send money to yourself (or someone else) at Caribe Express
Or a bank, Dollars or pesos.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Xoom ( if you can put up with their customer service when you have a problem ) ...or cheaper still Sharemoney ...

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
if you can open a USA$ account at a local bank you can deposit a cheque from your USA account . There will be no charge(at least at Bank Progresso) but you will have to wait 3 weeks to access the money. It is the best alternative if you are here on a long term basis.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
if you can open a USA$ account at a local bank you can deposit a cheque from your USA account . There will be no charge(at least at Bank Progresso) but you will have to wait 3 weeks to access the money. It is the best alternative if you are here on a long term basis.

Exactly what I do. Cost - $0. Time - 2-4 weeks depending on your bank. Just need to plan ahead.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
... Just need to plan ahead.

... and have a US bank account. I went that route initially, but by the time I arranged a transfer from my home country to my US bank and then deposited a cheque and then waited 30 days (BanReservas) it became a bit of a reoccurring hassle. Probably still better than paying transfer fees (if you have your money in a US account already) for those who wish to save those and are prepared to wait for access to their money.

Don't forget non US account holders will first have to exchange the transferred currency into dollars for deposit in the US then have to exchange the dollars (at least some of them) to pesos for use here. Depending on the amounts involved, one exchange from whatever currency to pesos on a direct transfer into a peso account here might be be more advantageous, you'll have to do the math based on whatever transfer fees you are subject to and the bank's dollar sell rate.

Last edited:

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
I use xoom to send to my wife and it is ready for pickup at caribe express within an hour or home delivery before 5pm. I think most people know this, but sending money in usd than dop is better as they get better exchange rates changing dollars into dop than sending the money in dop.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I just used zoom this week. Fast and cheap ($5). They have a crummy exchange rate (48.2 I think), but unless you’re sending thousands it’s pennies