Punta Cana Carnival 2019

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, the carnival is being held much earlier this year. In previous years it was held in March.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Yes, the carnival is being held much earlier this year. In previous years it was held in March.

February es when takes place most of the carnivals here, so maybe they want compete, what they do is hire groups from diferents cities, they dont want turist go to those cities and watch the real carnival. But are totally diferents, so if you can better go and watch the real one and get out to Punta Cana, Closing Carnival its been doing in Santo Domingo the first sunday of March.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Why would anyone (unless you are an unabashed rube), want to do carnaval in PC??

I agree. I was dragged to it kicking and screaming for several years. It has got to be one of the slowest, painfully repetitive, unorganized events here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In PC it's relatively organised and safe compared to other DR carnivals but I agree! After the first few years we dread the disruption in the run-up, during and after the event, because it's right on our doorstep. I'd still recommend it to visitors and newcomers though.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In PC it's relatively organised and safe compared to other DR carnivals but I agree! After the first few years we dread the disruption in the run-up, during and after the event, because it's right on our doorstep. I'd still recommend it to visitors and newcomers though.

I stopped going after 2 friends got their wallet and cell phone stolen and I myself watched someone getting pickpocketed. When I yelled out, the man took off after the teenager, not sure if he managed to get his stuff back. For people that do go, I always recommend spending a bit and getting a seat in one of the stands. Better view and no need to keep an eye out.