Helicopter with tourists missing

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lifestyle denies the helicopter was their property.

Less liability that way, I would guess.

May 5, 2007
I was surprised to see that was a Eurocopter turbine(thank you Cobra) as opposed to one of those bloody Robinsons The EC lists the useful-load at 1500lbs so my first thought of overloading goes out the window unless they were all very large Germans :) sad situation, I hate helicopters Condolences to the families of all involved

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was surprised to see that was a Eurocopter turbine(thank you Cobra) as opposed to one of those bloody Robinsons The EC lists the useful-load at 1500lbs so my first thought of overloading goes out the window unless they were all very large Germans :) sad situation, I hate helicopters Condolences to the families of all involved
When I read "pilot and 5 passengers" my first thought was "overload."

I know helicopters are useful, but I never had any desire to spend much time in one. They ultimately shake themselves apart. I'm not sure Robinson's even have a TBO. At a particular hours level, the airframe is legally required trash.

Bad way to go. Grace to all who grieve...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I knew the pilot. I actually felt sorry for the Lifestyle pilots who ferry pax from POP to Cofresi all day, every day. Must have become quite boring quite quickly.

They were always very courteous in the air. They never bothered anyone, buzzing around at 500ft along the coastline. Their RT was impeccable, they never seemed to let the monotony affect their complacency.

Night VFR is forbidden in most parts of the DR. There are a few corridors. There is one from STI to LRM, but I would never want to attempt that in a single engine aircraft. There are no safe places to put down in the event of an engine failure. It seems that the helo was on this corridor, but not sure which rules he was flying under.

May you rest in peace Roberto and your passengers.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'll tell you one thing, the DR Air Force has gotta be running out of helicopter pilots.

Having been in the military and seeing the amount of maintenance that goes into aircraft, it always seems to be a matter of time before they crash here.

I had a riding buddy years ago who was brought from the states to work on a plane here. He always said you had to have a death wish to travel on any locally maintained aircraft.

He finally left because he said he couldn't stay here and watch how planes were maintained.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've flown on N124ML many times over the years and was causally acquainted with this pilot. Condolences to all involved.

What I do find odd is that a contracted aircraft painted with corporate logos was being used (according to Lifestyles - the owner of the trademarked logos) for purposes not related to Lifestyles operations.

I'm certainly interested in learning what happened and to what extent Lifestyles is or is not involved in the transporting of charter passengers on "their" aircraft not related to shuttling their own guests.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'll tell you one thing, the DR Air Force has gotta be running out of helicopter pilots.

Having been in the military and seeing the amount of maintenance that goes into aircraft, it always seems to be a matter of time before they crash here.

I had a riding buddy years ago who was brought from the states to work on a plane here. He always said you had to have a death wish to travel on any locally maintained aircraft.

He finally left because he said he couldn't stay here and watch how planes were maintained.
THe #1 reason I didn't bring my 182S down here was because of maintenance.

Your mechanic has your life in his hands. How many Dominican A&P mechanics would you trust with your life?

Jan 9, 2004
I've flown on N124ML many times over the years and was causally acquainted with this pilot. Condolences to all involved.

What I do find odd is that a contracted aircraft painted with corporate logos was being used (according to Lifestyles - the owner of the trademarked logos) for purposes not related to Lifestyles operations.

I'm certainly interested in learning what happened and to what extent Lifestyles is or is not involved in the transporting of charter passengers on "their" aircraft not related to shuttling their own guests.

Lifestyle Helicopter Leasing Inc. bought the helicopter barely two years ago for $500,000 and change.

The purpose was likely to use for corporate AND to lease to others on an available basis. It is not an uncommon practice for both helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
November 23, 2018 | 3:52 pm
Rough terrain halts recovery of 6 bodies at helicopter crash site

La Romana, Dominican Republic.-  The two helicopters that located the chopper that crashed Thurs.  in the community of El Copey, near La Romana, have found it  difficult to retrieve the bodies of the six occupants who died.
A Dominican Air Force source quoted by Diario Libre said the bodies have been strapped in harnesses since noon, but as of 2:30pm couldn’t be removed from the site because rescuers haven’t been able to descend into the rugged terrain.
He said it was decided to hoist the remains to the helicopters with cables, but they await for ground units to clear the site.
The helicopter that went missing Thurs. with six people on board including the pilot, was found early Fri. next to a village near La Romana, with all occupants deceased.
So far only the pilot has been identified, Air Force Lt. Col. Roberto Lanfanco Ureña, and the passenger Richard Phillip.
The search for the aircraft registry N124MLhad resumed early near the towns Villa Hermosa and Batey Guaymate.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local...ecovery-of-6-bodies-at-helicopter-crash-site/