Hughsnet and other Satellite Internet providers

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Lots of threads from the past here in the forums; most are older.

Can I get some input from other folks who are using internet connections?

At the moment I have really crappy service from Claro (1-3) but supposedly Fiber Optic is on the Horizon.

I'm looking for is a reliable internet connection around 10 mbps until Claro finally comes through.

I don't need TV, movie packages or telephone.

Anyone care to comment?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have an altice satellite packet..... i choose the 5M/s, i think lol..... no complaints for now.
With cable tv, internet combo + an extra box thingy for cable to use on another TV ( a 2nd gv, if u see what i mean ), 2k pesos per month.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have changed my provider and am in an area with no orange / altice phone signal and have some little Altice thingy (see am as technical as Malko) which is the size of a credit card and that gives me great internet. Fast around 10 other thingies and unlimited RD$2600 a month.

Matilda

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
I have mundo 1 telecom fibreoptic in my apartment in Los rieles De gurabo. I have unlimited data at 50 mbps. I pay 2600rd a month. Service is pretty reliable. Have had it for 3 months. Maybe 1 day a month it goes down.

I can stream on 3 tvs simultaneously without any issues. If anybody knows. Is my 50mbps overkill? Could i get away with powering it??

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Lots of threads from the past here in the forums; most are older.

Can I get some input from other folks who are using internet connections?

At the moment I have really crappy service from Claro (1-3) but supposedly Fiber Optic is on the Horizon.

I'm looking for is a reliable internet connection around 10 mbps until Claro finally comes through.

I don't need TV, movie packages or telephone.

Anyone care to comment?

This is what you need:

https://www.altice.com.do/personal/movil/internet-altice-4g-lte

I use it as a backup works perfect.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I have an altice satellite packet..... i choose the 5M/s, i think lol..... no complaints for now.
With cable tv, internet combo + an extra box thingy for cable to use on another TV ( a 2nd gv, if u see what i mean ), 2k pesos per month.

This sounds like what I need. This is all done with a small satellite dish?

malko

Jan 12, 2013

Yes, i think you pay 500 pesos, twice ( added on the 2 first monthly bills ), for the installation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I am guessing the internet is using a 4G small box and the smallish dish for the satellite is only for receiving TV. I could be wrong, but a small dish probably cannot transmit signals to the satellite for internet connections.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
But max speednavegación ilimitada @5Mbps Not great for streaming.

Seems like they made changes. My contract is 10Mbs down and unlimited. Just verified, velocity is still 10Mbs... Guess I was lucky to buy before the change, hope they keep honoring it.

This is the device by the way:

w896cl.jpg

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I am guessing the internet is using a 4G small box and the smallish dish for the satellite is only for receiving TV. I could be wrong, but a small dish probably cannot transmit signals to the satellite for internet connections.

You may be right as the router box is not plugged into anything apart from the mains.....lol.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I feel your pain.

Claro finally admitted they have problems in a section of cable coming in our direction that reduces the # of connections and often slows the bandwidth from 8mbs to 2mbs, so we don't have a stable connection.

Their solution? Change our contract from 8mbs to 2 mbs, and we will have a stable connection. Hilarious.

They keep promising "fiber is on its way" so they don't fix the bad stretch of cable, but the holdup is the mayor's office. We've heard two different stories:

1. The mayor is charging an exorbitant fee for the franchise, and Claro refuses to agree.
  2. The local cable outlet is playing shenanigans with the mayor to block Claro's fiber because Claro brings their streaming service with it, and the cable company does not want competition.
Soooo...we continue to complain when the bandwidth drops to unusable levels and force Claro to send out techs, etc., hoping they tire of constant complaints.

Dealing with such a simple innerweb issue is a "Life in the DR" episodes which is maddening.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I feel your pain.

Claro finally admitted they have problems in a section of cable coming in our direction that reduces the # of connections and often slows the bandwidth from 8mbs to 2mbs, so we don't have a stable connection.

Their solution? Change our contract from 8mbs to 2 mbs, and we will have a stable connection. Hilarious.

They keep promising "fiber is on its way" so they don't fix the bad stretch of cable, but the holdup is the mayor's office. We've heard two different stories:

1. The mayor is charging an exorbitant fee for the franchise, and Claro refuses to agree.
  2. The local cable outlet is playing shenanigans with the mayor to block Claro's fiber because Claro brings their streaming service with it, and the cable company does not want competition.
Soooo...we continue to complain when the bandwidth drops to unusable levels and force Claro to send out techs, etc., hoping they tire of constant complaints.

Dealing with such a simple innerweb issue is a "Life in the DR" episodes which is maddening.

They tell me the same. Sold me 10 mbps, now they want to drop it to 2 mbps.

I've been with Claro most of my adult life here, but I put a call in to Altice today. All I want is 5-10 Mbps down and I'll be a happy camper.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
They tell me the same. Sold me 10 mbps, now they want to drop it to 2 mbps.

I've been with Claro most of my adult life here, but I put a call in to Altice today. All I want is 5-10 Mbps down and I'll be a happy camper.

They sold and installed us 20 Mbps, then a few weeks later started harassing us that the line to us only passes their quality checks at 10 Mbps, so they wanted to drop to 10 Mbps. I said that we want the 20 Mbps what we in fact also receive, or cancel the contract. They kept on harassing us (even calling on a Sunday morning) a few weeks, then they gave up. We still have 20 Mbps down, without any issues at all, apart from the router overheating sometimes, so I need to restart it.

I asked the tech once, would it not be in the interest of Claro to work on the lines and charge us more rather than do nothing and charge less. He had no answer to that...

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
..a small dish probably cannot transmit signals to the satellite for internet connections.

This thing do data up and down to / from one of three Inmarsat satellites anywhere on the planet except the north and the south pole. It's not an option for regular use because of the price per Mb, but it works and may be the only option for certain type of work. Used by myself in Africa, Iraq, Saudi, Turkey, tried it in he DR. It goes in a carry on together with the laptop. It has a static IP, built in wireless and both RJ 11 and RJ 45 (phone and data) connections. I have used it for simple text email and phone calls I wouldn't use it for streaming videos, it would work but incredibly expensive.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
We use a new service called duran wifi
They give u a small dish free and its 500 peso a month.
No more altice which was hell.

Feb 7, 2007
I feel your pain.

I would believe #1. We had the same issue in Higüey that's why most of large cities in DR had fiber before Higüey did. And they apparently did their first fiber project here (2 years ago) quite under low profile. Second project a year ago was apparently done officially, seems like they came into agreement.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Whereabouts are you exactly?

I'm thinking maybe Ecuador or Panama ?

I haven't heard of Duran Wifi in DR, but hey anything that could break the Claro / Altic / DeLancer cabals would be welcome. Currently the ISPs promise great service which ends as soon as you fold their glossy pamphlets. But 'service' is a word yet to translate for many businesses in the DR.

And why can't they sell upgraded fiber modem-routers that have MAC addresses pre-registered to their fiber network, instead of the cheapest Chinese Huaweii routers which drop out FREQUENTLY, as I suspect the ISP is changing the IP address and the cheap routers lose the handshake - requiring a hard reboot

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Which brings up the question - Has anyone connected a decent router to DeLancer's fiber modem/router via Cat 6 cable and does the second router need to be in "Bridge Mode" and does the DeLancer router Wifi need to be disabled.