what is the cost of 1 bdrm apt in sosua/caberete area?

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
Anyone know the cost of a nice/decent/clean/safe apt/condo in these areas. please let me know. Names of the complexes would be helpful as well.
thanks,
mattie

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Mattie

Check out 1 ocean Place $325 US a month is what a friend is paying there. His email is villaparthenon@yahoo.com and his name is Michael Degler. He also rents a Villa in Costambar and has a website www.privatecaribevillarentals.com It is right down from Eddys Sports bar. He can actually tell you about it. Eddy also rents Condos Dominicanos but mostly by the day. Ask him about monthly as I am sure he would do that also.

You can also check out for the same money Coconut Palms on the Road to Cabarete and you will get a 2 bedroom for the same 325.

Hope that helps.

MaxxJaxx

Almost Silver...
Jan 1, 2002
Not recommended

1 ocean Place is not my recommedation list. It is run by a fellow Canadian (her name is Judy). I was offered a 1 Bdrm for 5000 peso's/month, went the next day to pay, the price increased to 6000 peso's. Told her I would think about for week, went back after a week, the price she wanted was 7500 peso's.

Told her to stick it.

I talked with some people that worked at the dive shop in Sosua and was told that She had a reputation for increasing the rent without warning.

Just my experience, maybe you will have better luck.

MaxxJaxx

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think that MaxxJaxx makes a good point. I also know someone who has had trouble dealing with the people at One Ocean Place. It is a very nice complex, in a quiet area, has nice apartments, and there is a large pool with a nice deck. So I can see some reasons for staying there. However, I would also consider others. Before doing a deal with Once Ocean Place, you should get something in writing. May not be worth a lot, but it will at least lessen the likelihood of unexpected price changes.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Some additions.

Coconut Palms is a good complex. The disadvantge, compared with One Ocean Place, is that while the latter is in town, within walking distance of the supermarkets and other services, Coconut Palms is on the highway between Sosua and Cabarete. So to get to work, to either Sosua or Cabarete to shop, etc., you would need to take a guagua or public car. This is not a big problem, since there are a great many passing Coconut Palms in both directions all day long. Most plentiful and rapid are the public cars. They have only a few passengers, while the guagua is a van with many. To get to either Sosua or Cabarete on the public car would cost no more than RD$5.00

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To ms.mathilda

If price in your range, condo that Eddy has available would be a good choice. It is in a quiet area of Sosua and within easy walking distance of all of the services, etc. Complex also is well administered. You wouldn't be as dependent on transportation as you would be at Cocont Palms and you wouldn't have to fear unexpected rent increases as you might at One Ocean Place.

MaxxJaxx

Almost Silver...
Jan 1, 2002
Condo's Domincano

I stayed at condo's Dominicano last year for couple months. Eddy is straight up kinda guy, the rooms are clean and comfortable but they have no air conditioning.

The major advantage of staying there is that they have a reliable back-up generator. The MOST important thing in finding an apartment in Sosua is finding one with a reliable back-up generator.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think that the lack of AC needs to be a major problem. It is almost never too hot at night to need more than the cross ventilation by keeping your windows open and you will be at the school most days. We don't get those hot spells at night like I remember from the US (and I lived in Michigan and New York).

As MaxJaxx indicated, a backup generator is indispensible. Government power is very unreliable in the DR. Wherever you look for an apartment, that and a reliable water supply should be at the top of your list. Little need to worry if you are in a comlex that rents to foreigners. They would likely have folded long before this if they didn't satisfy their clients regarding both. More likely to be a problem should you find a home owner that has converted some rooms in the house to a rental apartment.